Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Interested in Ozuna Per Heyman

Re: Reds Interested in Ozuna Per Heyman

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    He puts himself in a good position next year without a draft pick, but the signals all seemed to say that the draft pick wasn't an impediment towards him getting $75 million or even more. Reds, Rangers, White Sox, Cardinals, none of them offered anything better than what this one year cushion provides?
    Probably still hoping for a big 4-5 year contract.

Not much of a gamble if you can get $18 million for 2020. Not a bad start to the 4-5 year period.

Still, for Ozuna, it’ll take a great season to get the $20 million annual type LTC with or without the QO overhang.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Probably still hoping for a big 4-5 year contract.

Not much of a gamble if you can get $18 million for 2020. Not a bad start to the 4-5 year period.

Still, for Ozuna, it’ll take a great season to get into the $20 million annual type LTC.
    I won't be surprised at all if he has that great season. His batted ball profile is too good.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

4. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-22-2020)

i'm really curious to see what this means for castellanos. can't be good news for him. hopefully the reds take advantage and give castellanos the type of offer that will get it done.

a team won't have to give up a draft pick for signing castellanos, so that's good news for him. but he's still going to get way less than most everyone expected, unless i'm missing something here.

my goodness, if the reds can swoop in and land him for like 3 years, $50 million, i would be dancing in the streets. and at this point, is he going to get a better offer than that?

I think the Rangers were waiting on the Arenado situation to play out and Castellanos was waiting to see what Ozuna got. I expect Castellanos to end up with Rangers within the week. New stadium, money to spend.

I've been saying all along, I'd prefer a platoon of Winker/Ervin or just go sign Puig.

So, I'm super ok with this result.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I've been saying all along, I'd prefer a platoon of Winker/Ervin or just go sign Puig.

So, I'm super ok with this result.
    I didn't want Ozuna either. And I certainly don't want anything to do with Puig. Who sits for Puig? I'd rather see Winker, Shogo and Senzel get most of the ab's.
    Now, Castellanos would be a different story.

9. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds View Post
    I think the Rangers were waiting on the Arenado situation to play out and Castellanos was waiting to see what Ozuna got. I expect Castellanos to end up with Rangers within the week. New stadium, money to spend.
    This has been my take as well. Castellanos to the Rangers.

The only caveat is that I really don't recall many reports of Ozuna being seriously linked with the Braves. Cards, Rangers, Reds, yes. With Atlanta, every report I saw linking Ozuna to the Braves, it was more that they were only "kicking the tires." So, it is possible that a team could come out of left field and sign Castellanos.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Go sign Puig. See what you can get in trade for Aquino, hopefully a solid reliever with a couple years of control.

Senzel-Shogo-Puig with Winker getting a lot of starts in LF, and Senzel moving around the diamond (though his home base is LF/CF). Ervin as 5th OF. That's a strong OF mix. Probably doesn't leave any budget space for Holt, but that's ok if Senzel/Blandino can backup SS. I'd rather have Puig than Holt.

12. Likes:

M2 (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post

The only caveat is that I really don't recall many reports of Ozuna being seriously linked with the Braves. Cards, Rangers, Reds, yes. With Atlanta, every report I saw linking Ozuna to the Braves, it was more that they were only "kicking the tires." So, it is possible that a team could come out of left field and sign Castellanos.
    Once Donaldson signed elsewhere, it was widely reported that they were expected to sign one of the remaining "big bats" to at least replace some of his offensive production. With Camargo/Riley likely to take over at third.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post

This was in response to losing out on Donaldson I presume.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Go sign Puig. See what you can get in trade for Aquino, hopefully a solid reliever with a couple years of control.

Senzel-Shogo-Puig with Winker getting a lot of starts in LF, and Senzel moving around the diamond (though his home base is LF/CF). Ervin as 5th OF. That's a strong OF mix. Probably doesn't leave any budget space for Holt, but that's ok if Senzel/Blandino can backup SS. I'd rather have Puig than Holt.
    You know what is a stronger outfield mix? Senzel-Shogo-Winker/Ervin then Aquino/Holt/Payton/VanMeter whoever as the 5th outfielder. No reason to make our team worse just because a guy tried to fight the Pirates.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    You know what is a stronger outfield mix? Senzel-Shogo-Winker/Ervin then Aquino/Holt/Payton/VanMeter whoever as the 5th outfielder. No reason to make our team worse just because a guy tried to fight the Pirates.
    No, it's really not. Puig is plus RF who projects to be nearly 2 fWAR better than Phillip Ervin. Winker will get his at-bats in either configuration. So are you really saying having Ervin over Puig makes this team better?

I could care less about "fighting the Pirates", but I appreciate the snark. I do think Puig is fun to watch, was a fan-favorite and could be utilized better than he was last season when he was considered a primary cog in the offense.

17. Likes:

M2 (01-22-2020),REDREAD (01-22-2020)

If you look at the careers of Puig, Ozuna and Castellanos, you have to want Castellanos because he's been the most consistent offensively over the last 4 years. He's also 2 years younger than the other two. He's also the worst defender, and while defense plays a part for me, not enough to overcome his bat. Next in line for me is Puig, then Ozuna.

If I'm the Reds, I have a very good idea about the reality of Aquino. I do believe, as I think they do, that he's for real. That he's an .850+ OPS bat with stupid power. That he's an above average RF. And that he's cheap, cheap, cheap. That allows them to spend elsewhere.

I also think they understand where they really are deficient right now... SS. Offensively you could say OBP, but they either need Lindor to suddenly become available or hope Garcia stuns in ST. I don't think either will happen.

I doubt the Reds make another significant move, trade or FA. They'll add a few more non-roster ST invite types, but that is probably it.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    No, it's really not. Puig is plus RF who projects to be nearly 2 fWAR better than Phillip Ervin. Winker will get his at-bats in either configuration. So are you really saying having Ervin over Puig makes this team better?

I could care less about "fighting the Pirates", but I appreciate the snark. I do think Puig is fun to watch, was a fan-favorite and could be utilized better than he was last season when he was considered a primary cog in the offense.
    What are you referencing that says Puig is plus RF? DRS, UZR, Fangraphs DEF, BRef DWar all rank him below average to average. He's got a cannon but otherwise doesn't appear to move well or read that ball that great in the outfield.

I'm not concerned with individual projected war for platoon mates. Ervin is a career .907 OPS against LHP, Winker is a career .909 OPS again RHP. Puig's rosiest projection is a .814 OPS, which is 30 points higher than his 2019 juiced ball OPS. The Winker/Ervin platoon should have no problem outproducing Puig at the plate. Defensively? Sure, I'll give Puig the edge but lets not act like Puig is a plus outfielder. I'd probably have Shogo/Senzel in CF/RF with the butcher platoon of Winker/Ervin in LF.

My comment may come off as snarky, but I think it is true. Would a bunch of people be clamoring for Puig if he hadn't played here and been the character he was? It is surely not his .777 Reds OPS that has a lot of people calling for his return. I'm not sure what you mean by utilized better, I can't see Puig as the type to sign on to be a platoon or part time player.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 01-22-2020 at 11:19 AM.

20. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-22-2020),Wonderful Monds (01-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    What are you referencing that says Puig is plus RF? DRS, UZR, Fangraphs DEF, BRef DWar all rank him below average to average. He's got a cannon but otherwise doesn't appear to move well or read that ball that great in the outfield.

I'm not concerned with individual projected war for platoon mates. Ervin is a career .907 OPS against LHP, Winker is a career .909 OPS again RHP. Puig's rosiest projection is a .814 OPS, which is 30 points higher than his 2019 juiced ball OPS. The Winker/Ervin platoon should have no problem outproducing Puig at the plate. Defensively? Sure, I'll give Puig the edge but lets not act like Puig is a plus outfielder. I'd probably have Shogo/Senzel in CF/RF with the butcher platoon of Winker/Ervin in LF.

My comment may come off as snarky, but I think it is true. Would a bunch of people be continuing to be clamoring for Puig if he hadn't played here and been the character he was? It is surely not his .777 Reds OPS that has a lot of people calling for his return.
    I completely agree about Puig. I get why people want him, his entertainment value, but I want a winning team and Puig doesn't improve this team. As for people wanting him to platoon, let's not forget how that went in LA.

22. Likes:

Griffey012 (01-22-2020)

Turn Off Ads?