Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Interested in Ozuna Per Heyman

Re: Reds Interested in Ozuna Per Heyman

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I have to say after last season, I think the defensive numbers in the WAR calculation need to be re-evaluated. The Reds defense, outside of Jose Iglesias, was pretty ugly last year. Yet even so, the Reds were among the leaders in preventing runs. If poor defense doesn't lead to the other team scoring runs, maybe the penalty associated with it is overstated. Shifts and strikeouts have made the penalty for poor defense less in actual play than the calculations actually show IMO.

What we know was last year this team was really good at preventing runs. The pitching seems improved and the defense really can't be much worse. They were terrible at scoring runs. I don't overthink things so much. Give me some guys who can hit.
    Uh, maybe the reds were good at preventing runs because of quality pitching...maybe...
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

Griffey012 (01-06-2020),Norwood (01-03-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Puig Your Red View Post
    Have you seen Ozuna play day in and day out or did you just see him boner up two plays at the wall on highlights?
    I didn't watch him every day, but I saw more than those two plays.

I also didn't see Puig play every day. But I have seen enough of both of them to say that I feel more comfortable with Puig's defense in the OF.

I'm not saying that Ozuna is one of the all-time worst out there (he's better than Winker), but IMO he's an average-at-best defensive LF. Puig is an average-at-worst to slightly above average defensive RF, with a plus-plus arm.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

5. Likes:

Frank Robinson (01-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Uh, maybe the reds were good at preventing runs because of quality pitching...maybe...
    Of course. And I expect them to have quality pitching again. In fact, the guys who gave up a lot of runs, Hernandez, Hughes, Romano, Gausman, Peralta... have all been removed from the roster or its only a matter of time. Miley should be an improvement over Mahle and a full season of Bauer should be at least as good as the Bauer/Roark combo was, so I expect the run prevention to be really good no matter who the Reds stick in the corner OF spots. I don't think they need to split hairs over a marginal few runs here or there. All things being equal, I'd love a great defender at every position, but this team shouldn't be sacrificing offense to get some marginal defensive improvement. This staff strikes a ton of guys out. Hard hit fly balls fly out of GABP. Anybpdy can catch the cans of corn that are routinely hit. How often does the defensive difference really come into play on this team? We saw how poor the offense was. That is the low hanging fruit that can be fairly easily improved on this roster. That would be my primary focus on deciding who to go add to the position player side. I think a solid bat will add a lot more than whatever the defense might cost. The park is too small, the staff strikes out a ton of guys limiting the balls in play and while I'm sure there will be plays where we're all mad if a play doesn't get made, it's not worth sacrificing .100 OPS points to get a plus defender versus an average or below average one no matter what WAR may say.

That said, Osuna has had an OPS+ of 122 over the last three years while Puig has had 112 . Based on that, Osuna is about 9% better offensively. Defense makes up some of that difference (not all IMO). Seems like either guy would be a decent signing. I think I'd let cost decide the issue.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-03-2020 at 05:54 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Fair points but Puig and that inconsistency and awful start to the year! And Puig doesn’t hurt the Cardinals like losing Ozuna would. If Ozuna can play RF I’d rather they get him.

Pretty much said it before, but if the Reds sign an OF you can bet a) Senzel &/or Winker is headed elsewhere and b) a top SS is headed our way.

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-03-2020)

I still don't understand the rumors linking The Reds to Ozuna. I'd rather have Puig or Castellanos. Hell, I'd rather roll with a Winker/Ervin platoon than go with the underwhelming Ozuna.

I'd rather see rumors about Senzel/Lindor.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

11. Likes:

Benihana (01-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I still don't understand the rumors linking The Reds to Ozuna. I'd rather have Puig or Castellanos. Hell, I'd rather roll with a Winker/Ervin platoon than go with the underwhelming Ozuna.

I'd rather see rumors about Senzel/Lindor.
    I Agree on both Ozuna and Castellanos, but Puig I want nothing to do with him. We know what he is without all the hype surrounding him. He is one of the most entertaining players in the game, but I want the Reds to win not be entertaining. He was in a contract year in GABP and had a rather underwhelming season. If he was gonna break out or have a comeback it was last year. I believe there is a reason the teams he played for haven't been connected to him. I am not gonna speculate, but I will let you draw your own conclusion. FWIW I love Puig and he was.outstanding in the community, I just don't think he is a fit.

My goodness, make the Puig talk stop already. He’s just not that good and would not be a clear upgrade into an already crowded mix.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

14. Likes:

757690 (01-06-2020),HammerTime (01-06-2020),loudangry (01-07-2020),Rojo Rijo (01-06-2020),SoTxRedsFan (01-07-2020),Tom Servo (01-06-2020),Tommyjohn25 (01-06-2020),Wonderful Monds (01-06-2020)

He still bangs

The Rangers being reportedly close on Castellanos has to make Reds favorites on Ozuna.

I could go either way with Ozuna, but I do think getting him means a Senzel or Winker trade seems more likely. And if that means a deal for a SS is still possible, I welcome it.

16. Likes:

corkedbat (01-06-2020),Old school 1983 (01-06-2020)

I am higher on Ozuna's upside....I think there is an outcome where he has some more big years in him if healthy.

18. Likes:

Griffey012 (01-06-2020),marcshoe (01-06-2020),Old school 1983 (01-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    The Rangers being reportedly close on Castellanos has to make Reds favorites on Ozuna.

I could go either way with Ozuna, but I do think getting him means a Senzel or Winker trade seems more likely. And if that means a deal for a SS is still possible, I welcome it.
    Never count StL out of the Ozuna mix. They could use another bat.

I do think Castellanos will get the higher bid from an AL team. Rangers make sense.

20. Likes:

JCM11 (01-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Never count StL out of the Ozuna mix. They could use another bat.

I do think Castellanos will get the higher bid from an AL team. Rangers make sense.
    wasn't it reported at some point that Ozuna would like to stay in St. Louis?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I don’t understand calling Ozuna underwhelming and then asking for Puig in the same breath

23. Likes:

CySeymour (01-06-2020),Griffey012 (01-06-2020),HammerTime (01-06-2020),Tom Servo (01-06-2020)

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I don’t understand calling Ozuna underwhelming and then asking for Puig in the same breath
    I'm not on board with either, but I get it from a salary point of view. Ozuna will likely double the price of Puig. So Ozuna can be underwhelming, but still outproduce Puig. In theory.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post

I’m probably in the minority on this, but even without Ozuna I sense a Senzel or Winker trade.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-06-2020 at 02:59 PM.

26. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-06-2020),REDREAD (01-07-2020)

Turn Off Ads?