Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Interested in Ozuna Per Heyman

Re: Reds Interested in Ozuna Per Heyman

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Go sign Puig. See what you can get in trade for Aquino, hopefully a solid reliever with a couple years of control.

Senzel-Shogo-Puig with Winker getting a lot of starts in LF, and Senzel moving around the diamond (though his home base is LF/CF). Ervin as 5th OF. That's a strong OF mix. Probably doesn't leave any budget space for Holt, but that's ok if Senzel/Blandino can backup SS. I'd rather have Puig than Holt.
    If the choice is Puig or Holt, for the current construction of the roster I'm taking Holt. The offense needs another on base guy to go with Winker and Shogo. We've seen Puig and his ice cold slumps and what it does to this lineup. Let's not go to that well again and relegate Aquino to Louisville or riding the bench for most of the season. The Reds simply won't go there I don't believe.

Winker/Senzel/Shogo are solid options in the outfield and they'll give Aquino significant ab's in RF to see if he's for real. Holt solidifies the bench. He can play in the outfield when Bell wants more LH bats. He can spell anyone in the infield including Galvis. He's a great option for double switches and DH days. 300 at bats with a .360 on base and the ability to play all over the field balances this roster way better than another mid power low on base bat (who can't play the infield).

2. Likes:

Griffey012 (01-22-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It seems the QO hurt another player in free agency, even with the lower pick now at stake. It’s going to be interesting when the CBA expires.
    Not sure that I agree. I think front offices saw him as a good, but not great player.
    He probably had multiyear offers on the table, but decided to maximize his per year salary by taking a one year deal.
    I think this is going to become more common.. Players choosing to attempt to maximize earnings and willing to risk some certainty that a one year deal gives them.

If one year and 18 million was all it took to sign Ozuna, the Reds should have signed him. Yes, I am assuming he wanted to come here, etc.. Just saying if it was possible, the Reds should have offered him it. If one year 20 million gets him to come here instead of Atlanta, Reds should have done it too.

One year deal is perfect in the position the Reds are in, even if they overpay for that one year.
    That's what payflex is supposed to be used for.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    This is frustrating.
    It seems that once Shogun was signed, the Reds called the outfield done.
    I am guessing Shogun was their primary target all along, and Ozuna was plan B.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

6. Likes:

mbgrayson (01-22-2020)

Prediction from out of the blue: Reds sign Puig to a one-year contract as both realize the other is the best remaining option. Fans here complain. Puig has a career year; the Reds win the pennant. He signs a multi-year contract with. . .Kansas City or that other Missouri team. Springfield, is it? Rolla? Jefferson City?
    Last edited by marcshoe; 01-22-2020 at 07:12 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

8. Likes:

Benihana (01-22-2020),M2 (01-22-2020),REDREAD (01-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    If you look at the careers of Puig, Ozuna and Castellanos, you have to want Castellanos because he's been the most consistent offensively over the last 4 years. He's also 2 years younger than the other two. He's also the worst defender, and while defense plays a part for me, not enough to overcome his bat. Next in line for me is Puig, then Ozuna.
    Castellanos has been the least valuable of the group (by bWAR) over the past four seasons.

And it's closer to a one-year age gap. The other thing is, if it's Castellanos or Ozuna, then Winker is 100% toast. He's probably toast anyway with another OF, but a LF puts him on the shelf fo sho. Either of those guys are playing LF. As a RF, Puig gives the team more flexibility.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Just don't know how Puig fits into our mix of OF's. I can't imagine Miami or Baltimore isn't a better fit.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Go sign Puig. See what you can get in trade for Aquino, hopefully a solid reliever with a couple years of control.

Senzel-Shogo-Puig with Winker getting a lot of starts in LF, and Senzel moving around the diamond (though his home base is LF/CF). Ervin as 5th OF. That's a strong OF mix. Probably doesn't leave any budget space for Holt, but that's ok if Senzel/Blandino can backup SS. I'd rather have Puig than Holt.
    Here's the thing about Brock Holt, his walk up music is intolerable. Just say no forever to Brock Holt.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Just don't know how Puig fits into our mix of OF's. I can't imagine Miami or Baltimore isn't a better fit.
    Kind of depends on whether he wants to win some games.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    You know what is a stronger outfield mix? Senzel-Shogo-Winker/Ervin then Aquino/Holt/Payton/VanMeter whoever as the 5th outfielder. No reason to make our team worse just because a guy tried to fight the Pirates.
    I disagree. I think the Winker/Ervin platoon is the team's best outfielder. If the Reds sign Puig, he'd be second. Senzel could play CF and Shogo could get a couple starts per week each in CF and RF. Puig was mixed and matched a lot in LA when he was putting up the 120 OPS+ numbers. Senzel sitting a couple days per week also fits with the need to keep him healthy and a 3 guys for two spots rotation makes a ton of sense with those guys. Aquino for Ken Giles. Toronto is in the position to gamble on Aquino's upside. The Reds need a reliable 2 to 2.5 WAR that Puig likely brings and the bullpen needs a guy like Giles.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Puig on a 1 year, $7M deal would be a bat-licking HR right now.
    Go BLUE!!!

15. Likes:

M2 (01-22-2020),marcshoe (01-22-2020),REDREAD (01-23-2020)

At this stage, I wouldn’t be surprised if Reds overpaid a bit to get Castellanos.

Lindor doesn’t seem likely, Ozuna is a Brave, I don’t know who else is available and likely. They do need another player. He may be their last, best hope for this off-season.

Of course, that would lead to other deals, they aren’t keeping all these outfielders. No idea what that would be. I don’t see Winker, Senzel, Castellanos, Ervin, Aquino, Shogo all on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Shogo could get a couple starts per week each in CF and RF.
    They did not give Shogo a 3/21 contract and spend months (possibly a whole year if you count the groundwork they've been laying in Japan) to make him a spot starter. He's first in line for an OF job.

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-23-2020),marcshoe (01-22-2020),Mitri (01-23-2020),North (01-22-2020),Tom Servo (01-23-2020),TRF (01-23-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Puig on a 1 year, $7M deal would be a bat-licking HR right now.
    Except that he kinda sucks but whatever I guess

20. Likes:

Griffey012 (01-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    He doesn't fit at all. The last couple weeks has been weird reading the board and listening to fan driven podcasts...it appears many users have transitioned their preference into a reality, and I am unsure of the impetus for the change. Everything I have heard (via podcast/radio) or read from credible individuals suggests that the opening day outfield will include Senzel and Aquino if healthy, with the third spot being less certain. Has there been any credible sources that claim something else?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    They did not give Shogo a 3/21 contract and spend months (possibly a whole year if you count the groundwork they've been laying in Japan) to make him a spot starter. He's first in line for an OF job.
    He's probably not going to be a league average bat as a full time player. Neither is Senzel, Aquino or Votto. I hope they find some offense some place. The one guy in the OF who probably is going to be better than league average will be the one pushed aside in this plan. I like the Shogo signing and think he'll make a really solid 400 PA outfielder, but this is a mix and match group of players. It would be a better mix and match group by bringing Puig back and moving Aquino IMO, but its still a mix and match group. Castellanos is an every day player if they could nab him somehow. Other than that, platoon Winker and Ervin in LF and mix and match the others in CF and RF.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?