Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Reds Interested in Ozuna Per Heyman

Re: Reds Interested in Ozuna Per Heyman

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My guess is Castellanos would play LF. A) Because he's wretched in RF. B) Because Castellanos and Winker in the same OF would be terrifying. So I'm thinking Winker is the one who takes the haircut if Castellanos signs. Shogo and Senzel would be the primaries in CF/RF.
    I understand your defensive reticence but believe the combination of Winker and Ervin is a 120+ wRC+ bat. Cheap.

I'd put Akiyama between them and deal with the 10 or so outs a year that would end up being extra base hits. (Especially if the other option is a league average bat with better than league average defense.)

That, in turn, allows them to play Senzel all over the field, strengthening each position and the overall offensive production. (Williams has espoused this type of production before, fwiw.)

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-26-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I understand your defensive reticence but believe the combination of Winker and Ervin is a 120+ wRC+ bat. Cheap.

I'd put Akiyama between them and deal with the 10 or so outs a year that would end up being extra base hits. (Especially if the other option is a league average bat with better than league average defense.)

That, in turn, allows them to play Senzel all over the field, strengthening each position and the overall offensive production. (Williams has espoused this type of production before, fwiw.)
    A lot revolves around Senzel's health, but I suspect they're far more committed to Senzel than Winker. The Senzel-all-over plan makes him a part-timer. DW has openly spoken about wanting the Reds to play a more complete game. I sincerely doubt they acquired Shogo to stick him out there between two DHs. Senzel's probably a respectable RF (arm willing) and if his bat comes around you've got a far better than Winker.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Senzel-all-over plan makes him a part-timer.
    Not really. Tony Phillips played all over and averaged over 140 games a season in his prime.

Ben Zobrist was an All-Star doing the same thing throughout the first part of his career. In his prime seasons with Tampa, he averaged over 150 games.

The key is finding him a position he could play the majority of his games. (If that is the plan.)

I'd guess the short end of a LF or RF platoon may work, but that wouldn't help Votto or Moustakas rest while also taking a platoon advantage and providing a potent bat in their stead.

SS would make much more sense as his "resting" position, as 3B (Suarez), CF (Akiyama), RF/LF (Castellanos), 2B (Moustakas), and 1B (Votto) are all occupied.

This assumes he can play the position well enough to be there for 45 games or so.

If Castellanos is signed, I really think Senzel gets traded for a SS.

7. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-27-2020),Frank Robinson (01-26-2020),sdwagers (01-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What happened to Shogo Akiyama? I get forgetting Ervin but how do you forget that signing? He'll make more dough than the other 4 combined
    Didn't get the memo, and simply didn't see it from earlier this month, nor the thread (LOL). Been busy.

I like the acquisition. Cheap. Certainly will enhance/bolster our bench. Lead-off maybe? He seems to be the type of player needed in Bell's scheme of things.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cu...os-report-says

With the Cubs cognizant of the luxury tax, the division rival Reds have emerged as the favorite to sign Castellanos, according to MLB insider Jon Morosi.

"The Reds have emerged as the frontrunner to sign free-agent outfielder Nicholas Castellanos, one source said Sunday, and there are indications the sides have made progress over the past several days. While Cincinnati is now the favorite to sign Castellanos, the Giants also have negotiated with the 27-year-old in recent weeks."
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Didn't get the memo, and simply didn't see it from earlier this month, nor the thread (LOL). Been busy.

I like the acquisition. Cheap. Certainly will enhance/bolster our bench. Lead-off maybe? He seems to be the type of player needed in Bell's scheme of things.
    This is the first you've heard about it? Wow. Turn in your RZ card at the door

11. Likes:

Chip R (01-27-2020)

Since Ozuna has signed with Atlanta and the Reds have a deal with Castellanos is there any good reason to keep this thread open?

Maybe GAC will read some other threads.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 01-27-2020 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Since Ozuna has signed with Atlanta and the Reds have a deal with Castellanos is there any good reason to keep this thread open?
    Yeah. Every time Ozuna homers it can get bumped.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (01-28-2020)

Good point - thread closed, continue discussion in other, more relevant threads.

Edit - it was brought to my attention that people would like to keep this thread open, so open it shall stay.
    Last edited by Plus Plus; 01-27-2020 at 09:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

16. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Edit - it was brought to my attention that people would like to keep this thread open, so open it shall stay.
    That was me (just kidding). I don't have any problem being poked fun at. Been on here too long. Foot don't taste that bad after you get use to it. I got a pretty solid resume, and it would make a pretty amusing thread discussion in and of itself (LOL).

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This is the first you've heard about it? Wow. Turn in your RZ card at the door
    I guess no one has informed you that I'm a member of RZ'S secret-not-so-secret organization called SERP. We're gate-keepers ... "Badges? We don't need no steenkin' badges!" LOL

In the off-season I don't pay as much attention to (browse) ORG, as much as I do in The Tavern (football, Weekly Pick'em thread). So it's not hard for me to miss various baseball-related threads. It may have caught the side of my eye, but I moved on, and probably because I never heard of this Japanese player (don't follow Japanese baseball). So, other then the "big name" signings, I probably "filed it mentally" with all the other threads I browse over on that page where it says "Reds sign....", and everyone says 'OK. Whoopee!" LOL

Interesting signing. I like it. But it's not like we signed Willie Mays. He's a 31 yr old All-Star OFer who excelled in Japan. What took him so long? I hope he does well, and could be a valuable addition. No issues from me.

Maybe the mods should have a GAC Sticky that I could check once a day for any up-to-date Red's news. LOL
    Last edited by GAC; 01-28-2020 at 07:23 AM.

Jon Heyman @JonHeyman
    Reds offered Marcell Ozuna 50M for 3 years, but he opted for the 18M for 1 with Braves, in effect betting on himself
    Had to fault the Reds here... Seems crazy he would do that at his age.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Good for him. It worked out for both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Yea, so he turns down 3 years at between 16-17 million for a one year deal at 18?
    Dumb move. No matter how good of a year he has, he's never going to be a 25-30 milllion dollar a year player. I don't think any team is that stupid.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

21. Likes:

HammerTime (02-04-2020)

If we are glad Ozuna turned that deal down, should we be upset the Reds offered him that deal in the first place?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

23. Likes:

JFLegal (02-04-2020),REDREAD (02-05-2020)

Turn Off Ads?