Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: #1 prospect:

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mariel Bautista

    0 0%
  • Tyler Callihan

    0 0%
  • Stuart Fairchild

    0 0%
  • T.J. Freidl

    0 0%
  • Jose Garcia

    0 0%
  • Hunter Greene

    15 51.72%
  • Vladimir Gutierrez

    0 0%
  • Jimmy Herget

    0 0%
  • Miguel Hernandez

    0 0%
  • Rece Hinds

    0 0%
  • Jonathan India

    3 10.34%
  • Ivan Johnson

    0 0%
  • Lyon Richardson

    0 0%
  • Tony Santillan

    0 0%
  • Mike Siani

    0 0%
  • Jose Siri

    0 0%
  • Tyler Stephenson

    11 37.93%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: 2019/2020 Prospect Poll, #1

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,597

    Re: 2019/2020 Prospect Poll, #1

    Lodolo

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    26,078

    Re: 2019/2020 Prospect Poll, #1

    Guys, I apologize for overlooking Lodolo and offered to count his votes
    manually (even if someone says "I voted for India but wanted Lodolo").
    Since this is not acceptable, I think someone else needs to reboot this.
    I think if someone else started the thread, there'd probably be better participation too. No hard feelings, I just think that myself being associated with this is
    doing more harm that good.
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  4. #18
    GO REDS *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,021

    Re: 2019/2020 Prospect Poll, #1

    I voted Greene but want my vote added to Lodolo

  5. #19
    Member NC Reds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    1,893

    Re: 2019/2020 Prospect Poll, #1

    Lodolo

  6. #20
    Member marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In my easy chair.
    Posts
    9,521

    Re: 2019/2020 Prospect Poll, #1

    I voted Greene, but would like my vote to be counted for Greene.
    [Reading] is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another's skin, another's voice, another's soul" -- Joyce Carol Oates

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,039

    Re: 2019/2020 Prospect Poll, #1

    Lodolo

  8. #22
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    38,952

    Re: 2019/2020 Prospect Poll, #1

    I have no idea where we are with this, but Lodolo so far has a K/BB of infinity (30 Ks, 0 BB in 18.1 IP).
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  9. #23
    Member Mitri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,093

    Re: 2019/2020 Prospect Poll, #1

    Lodolo would be my pick as well, though Ty Steve is hot on his heels.

  10. #24
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,614

    Re: 2019/2020 Prospect Poll, #1

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I have no idea where we are with this, but Lodolo so far has a K/BB of infinity (30 Ks, 0 BB in 18.1 IP).
    The key part of that statistic may not be the K rate or the BB rate or the ratio between them, but the innings pitched.

    That said, Lodolo's emergence is vital. He's done absolutely nothing to disabuse those who loved him in the draft run-up.

    I see nothing wrong in insisting he's the top guy. (Nor Greene, nor India, nor Garcia.)

    They're all bunched at the top-- each with upside and questions.

    It might be better (he said, tongue only half in cheek) to begin the list at number six and just let the first five stand.

  11. Likes:

    REDREAD (11-17-2019)

  12. #25
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,012

    Re: 2019/2020 Prospect Poll, #1

    I think the key thing to note about Lodolo was that it was 18 innings at the end of a season where the best players in those leagues had already been promoted. He looks good and I'm optimistic, but it's not enough to make him number 1 for me. All these prospects have warts related to small samples, injuries or bad seasons, so I'm taking the simple method. If the warts cancel out and they all end-up being all they can be, who would be the top guy? IMO, that's Greene by huge margin, so he gets my vote.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  13. Likes:

    REDREAD (11-17-2019)

  14. #26
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,614

    Re: 2019/2020 Prospect Poll, #1

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think the key thing to note about Lodolo was that it was 18 innings at the end of a season where the best players in those leagues had already been promoted. He looks good and I'm optimistic, but it's not enough to make him number 1 for me. All these prospects have warts related to small samples, injuries or bad seasons, so I'm taking the simple method. If the warts cancel out and they all end-up being all they can be, who would be the top guy? IMO, that's Greene by huge margin, so he gets my vote.
    What warts does Tyler Stephenson have?

  15. #27
    Someday Never Comes mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,012

    Re: 2019/2020 Prospect Poll, #1

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    What warts does Tyler Stephenson have?
    His best tool is probably power and he only hit 6 HR. His career high is 11. Again, I'm hopeful for him, but he doesn't grab ne as a number 1 prospect.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  16. #28
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    38,952

    Re: 2019/2020 Prospect Poll, #1

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think the key thing to note about Lodolo was that it was 18 innings at the end of a season where the best players in those leagues had already been promoted. He looks good and I'm optimistic, but it's not enough to make him number 1 for me. All these prospects have warts related to small samples, injuries or bad seasons, so I'm taking the simple method. If the warts cancel out and they all end-up being all they can be, who would be the top guy? IMO, that's Greene by huge margin, so he gets my vote.
    Greene's also got the biggest chance of the top guys of never seeing the majors. We're still pretending he's the next Dwight Gooden when he's already not the next Dwight Gooden. Honestly I don't think anyone knows what he's going to be. He's got to recover from his surgery and then learn how to pitch (and build up his innings load from just about zero). I know the exercise here is to rate everyone, but the main thing we know about Greene is we have no idea what or where he's going to be in a year or two. I'm putting Greene off to the side until he's back on the mound and we see what we've got. I still have high hopes for him. Perfectly willing to slot him in at #1 in the future. Just not getting my vote for any slot this year.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  17. Likes:

    HokieRed (11-17-2019),REDREAD (11-18-2019)

  18. #29
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,614

    Re: 2019/2020 Prospect Poll, #1

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Greene's also got the biggest chance of the top guys of never seeing the majors. We're still pretending he's the next Dwight Gooden when he's already not the next Dwight Gooden. Honestly I don't think anyone knows what he's going to be. He's got to recover from his surgery and then learn how to pitch (and build up his innings load from just about zero). I know the exercise here is to rate everyone, but the main thing we know about Greene is we have no idea what or where he's going to be in a year or two. I'm putting Greene off to the side until he's back on the mound and we see what we've got. I still have high hopes for him. Perfectly willing to slot him in at #1 in the future. Just not getting my vote for any slot this year.
    You'll have to show me where anyone has mentioned he and Dwight Gooden in the same sentence since his injury.

    TJ surgery is a long process, but it's hardly the death knell it was just a few years ago.

    Were he not injured, Greene would be a top 25 or better prospect. He's now somewhere around 70.

    That takes his injury into account.

  19. #30
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    38,952

    Re: 2019/2020 Prospect Poll, #1

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    You'll have to show me where anyone has mentioned he and Dwight Gooden in the same sentence since his injury.

    TJ surgery is a long process, but it's hardly the death knell it was just a few years ago.

    Were he not injured, Greene would be a top 25 or better prospect. He's now somewhere around 70.

    That takes his injury into account.
    The Gooden comps were rolling thick before the injury, even though it was a bad comp. I mention it because I don't think anyone's ever had a good handle on his ceiling.

    And, IMO, the most reasonable way to take his injury into account isn't to downgrade him, it's to set him to the side. Maybe he's even better when he comes back. I don't know, and that's my point. None of us know. I'm not saying he'll be a bust. I'm just keeping him in reserve.
    Last edited by M2; 11-17-2019 at 06:15 PM.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator