Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Go loco for Shogo

Re: Go loco for Shogo

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Game theory. You don't want the agent playing your interest into a contract with another team.
    Well it's apparently the opposite approach with Ozuna. Can't stop talking to him lol

2. Turn Off Ads?

Isn't there some kind of tampering rule where clubs are not allowed to comment on player negotiations? IDK?
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 12-10-2019 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Game theory. You don't want the agent playing your interest into a contract with another team.
    Except he said they're interested. And the agent knows if you're meeting with them. There is no cat to keep in the bag here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Isn't there some kind of tampering rule where clubs are not allows to comment on players? IDK?
    Only applies to guys under contract with other teams. They're free to talk about free agents.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-10-2019)

I imagine Shogo A'go-go A'no-go. That is all.

7. Likes:

Always Red (12-14-2019),REDREAD (12-13-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Would really like this, but I don't think we'll get it done.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (12-13-2019)

The Reds secured a meeting with Japanese outfielder Shogo Akiyama, who was in San Diego for the Winter Meetings. Akiyama, 31, was a center fielder in Japan, but there are concerns that he may be more suited for a corner outfield spot in the big leagues. He’s recovering from a fracture in his right foot.

Akiyama, a lefty hitter, didn’t strike out much in Japan’s Nippon Professional Baseball league, and he’s always had a high on-base percentage.

“He’s a guy we’ve spoken to,” Krall said of Akiyama. “We’ll see what the best fit is. It depends on the overall outlook of your club and how he fits. I think you look at him for a number of different spots out there and how he can help your roster now.”
    https://amp.cincinnati.com/amp/44045...mpression=true

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Would really like this, but I don't think we'll get it done.
    I feel the same way.

Reds still seem to be in the running, it would be a first.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-14-2019 at 07:38 AM.

Smart money is always against the Reds signing a Japanese player. They never have. Yet I'm glad to hear they're after him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I'd approve of this signing. Go-go, get it done Reds.

"So Fla Red"

https://www.vintagesports.com/produc...oaAm5REALw_wcB

This Hiroshima Carp hat should be on everyone's Christmas List. The Reds brass should have all walked into the meeting in San Diego with Shogo sporting these.

15. Likes:

M2 (12-14-2019)

I'm on the other side of this one. The reds are a team with way more questions than answers. Adding an aging CF, who reports indicate is likely better off in a corner now at age 32, and has never played in the big leagues, seems like its just adding another question. We have no idea how his bat will translate to the big league level. I'd much prefer adding another couple of answers as opposed to another question.

If this guy is being brought in to replace Jankowski or Ervin, I'm in favor of it, but if he's supposed to be adding more certainty to the uncertain OF mix, well, he doesn't.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

He still bangs

If what is being reported is really his asking price, there is zero risk in giving him an offer and getting him.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm on the other side of this one. The reds are a team with way more questions than answers. Adding an aging CF, who reports indicate is likely better off in a corner now at age 32, and has never played in the big leagues, seems like its just adding another question. We have no idea how his bat will translate to the big league level. I'd much prefer adding another couple of answers as opposed to another question.

If this guy is being brought in to replace Jankowski or Ervin, I'm in favor of it, but if he's supposed to be adding more certainty to the uncertain OF mix, well, he doesn't.
    This is why you have scouts. You have to take chances to be successful and considering he is a high OBP guy and all the question mark's the reds have I'm sure he will find playing time one way or another. I'm just not sure the Reds can afford to pay what will probably end up being 20 million a year for 4 or 5 years for Cast or Ozuna. Neither guy appears to be all that much of an upgrade to what we have now and they both come with major warts. If Shogo can be had for around 2 for 20 or so it will be a much easier pill to swallow if things dont work out. Not saying I wouldnt want Ozuna or Cast just that I think this year is the wrong year to sign free agent outfielder's to long term deals. I expect a trade is more likely then the Reds paying top dollar for a couple guys who probably wont put up 3 WAR in any single season for the life of their respective contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by ochoa30 View Post
    This is why you have scouts. You have to take chances to be successful and considering he is a high OBP guy and all the question mark's the reds have I'm sure he will find playing time one way or another. I'm just not sure the Reds can afford to pay what will probably end up being 20 million a year for 4 or 5 years for Cast or Ozuna. Neither guy appears to be all that much of an upgrade to what we have now and they both come with major warts. If Shogo can be had for around 2 for 20 or so it will be a much easier pill to swallow if things dont work out. Not saying I wouldnt want Ozuna or Cast just that I think this year is the wrong year to sign free agent outfielder's to long term deals. I expect a trade is more likely then the Reds paying top dollar for a couple guys who probably wont put up 3 WAR in any single season for the life of their respective contracts.
    I'm fine adding him to the mix, but I'm not fine saying he's a solution. Right now we have no idea if he's any better than Jankowski. I actually prefer Dickerson who can probably be had for about $15 Million total for 2 years. over Osuna and Castellanos. At least he has a history of being an above average bat in the big leagues. For that matter, I'd sign Robinson Chirinos and replace Barnhart with him. That would add more to the offense and be a clear upgrade for the money.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Dick Williams probably would LOVE to add a player from Japan.

My guess is Shogo might be part of a four OF rotation, Reds would keep Winker, agree Shogo’s not a clear solution. Wink, Shogo, Senzel, Aquino is a nice group.

Opening the avenue of Japanese players would be a big win for the Reds, and if they can get him (big if) I think they will.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-14-2019 at 10:21 PM.

Turn Off Ads?