Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Go loco for Shogo

Re: Go loco for Shogo

ESPN International is reporting Shogo has at least one deal in the neighborhood of 2 years and ~4M$ per in hand but his camp is seeking a third guaranteed year and 5-6M$ per.

His camp has met with the Rays, DBacks, Reds, and Cubs. He may also opt to stay in Japan.

He has reportedly returned to Japan and is expected to make his decision within the next week.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-18-2019),REDREAD (12-18-2019),reds77 (12-18-2019),Ron Madden (12-18-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    ESPN International is reporting Shogo has at least one deal in the neighborhood of 2 years and ~4M$ per in hand but his camp is seeking a third guaranteed year and 5-6M$ per.

His camp has met with the Rays, DBacks, Reds, and Cubs. He may also opt to stay in Japan.

He has reportedly returned to Japan and is expected to make his decision within the next week.
    A third year seems like a small thing to squabble about if the per year is only approximately $4 to $6 million. If the Reds are still in play and want him, I hope they make the right move.

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-18-2019)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    A third year seems like a small thing to squabble about if the per year is only approximately $4 to $6 million. If the Reds are still in play and want him, I hope they make the right move.
    Signing Shogo really increases the Reds' flexibility for the rest of the off-season. Right now Senzel is the only guy who I would be comfortable playing centerfield on a regular basis. Shogo could free up Senzel to play short or allows the FO to make moves on the trade market.

Shogo's posting period ends tomorrow so he will need to make a decision by then.

From the 10th:
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...za-grandy.html
    The Reds are one of the teams with interest in Japanese center fielder Shogo Akiyama, president of baseball operations Dick Williams revealed (via Bobby Nightengale of the Cincinnati Enquirer). Clubs have until Dec. 19 to sign Akiyama, who had an impressive run with the Seibu Lions from 2011-19.
    From back on the 12th;
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...kim-rojas.html
    We heard earlier today about Shogo Akiyama’s camp meeting with the Cubs and Diamondbacks, and 670 The Score’s Bruce Levine (Twitter link) adds that Akiyama and company also spoke with the Rays and Reds. Contracts in the range of $8MM-$10MM over two years were discussed — this is a step up from MLBTR’s prediction of a two-year, $6MM deal, though Akiyama’s higher ask could reflect the level of interest in his services, not to mention this offseason’s thin center field market.

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-18-2019),Redeyecat (12-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Shogo's posting period ends tomorrow so he will need to make a decision by then.

From the 10th:
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...za-grandy.html

From back on the 12th;
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...kim-rojas.html
    Shogo wasn’t posted, he’s a free agent.

10. Likes:

DocRed (12-18-2019)

I'm just going off of multiple posts on mlbtraderumors.

Isn't today decision day for him?

It may be or mlbtraderumors could be wrong. Honestly unclear. I suppose we will find out at some point.

If he is a Free Agent, then I would say he has all the time he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    It may be or mlbtraderumors could be wrong. Honestly unclear. I suppose we will find out at some point.
    I never read anything about the 19th but I have read he will decide by Christmas.

Yes, confirmed free agent:

Unlike Tsutsugo and Kikuchi, Akiyama does not have to be posted to come to MLB. He has accrued enough service time to qualify for international free agency. Akiyama is free to negotiate a contract of any size with any team at any time. He is not bound by the posting system at all and will not require any draft pick compensation or financial compensation to the Lions.
    https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...his-offseason/

I shouldnt get my hopes up but I really do want the Reds to sign him. Maybe since it allows Senzel to be included in possible Lindor talks.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Well, it's tomorrow in Japan. So if he decides it will have to travel back in time to us.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

Chip R (12-19-2019),Redeyecat (12-19-2019),reds77 (12-19-2019)

really would like to see the reds sign him. i'd go 3 years, $18 million total if that's what it took. not all that much in this day and age of MLB.

20. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-19-2019)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    really would like to see the reds sign him. i'd go 3 years, $18 million total if that's what it took. not all that much in this day and age of MLB.
    3 years $12M may get it done, too. 3 years, $18M would only require him to accumulate 3 wins over 3 years to create surplus value. He seems like a pretty good bet to do that and would free up Senzel to move in the right trade or allow the Reds to have two good players to play centerfield.

22. Likes:

JFLegal (12-19-2019),wolfboy (12-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    3 years $12M may get it done, too. 3 years, $18M would only require him to accumulate 3 wins over 3 years to create surplus value. He seems like a pretty good bet to do that and would free up Senzel to move in the right trade or allow the Reds to have two good players to play centerfield.
    Splot the diff - 3yrs/$15M. Give him an optional 4th year with an option if it gets it done.

Turn Off Ads?