Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

Re: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

I kinda feel like he is saying that signing Didi is a luxury for the Reds.

Not that they will not just that maybe it’s better if the Reds spend elsewhere unless Didi takes a lower salary.

2. Likes:

ochoa30 (12-08-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I wonder how much in-house evaluations are playing a role in this? Obviously, there's some concern with Winker and/or Acquino with the focus on OF. But, I'd still prefer those two to Galvis. The difference between what's available at OF vs SS plays a part in that too I suppose.

I also wonder how they see Jose Garcia? Maybe they think he'll be ready sooner rather than later. I'm probably reading too much into it, but it's interesting.

5. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (12-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Red X View Post
    I kinda feel like he is saying that signing Didi is a luxury for the Reds.

Not that they will not just that maybe it’s better if the Reds spend elsewhere unless Didi takes a lower salary.
    I think the Reds are building for more than one year. Not sure what valued SS are free agents over the next two years, but Didi gives us a slight upgrade this year but then we would be set for the next three years at a reasonable price.
    "Just shut up and play baseball"...Mike Piazza

Quote Originally Posted by redsman2007 View Post
    I wonder how much in-house evaluations are playing a role in this? Obviously, there's some concern with Winker and/or Acquino with the focus on OF. But, I'd still prefer those two to Galvis. The difference between what's available at OF vs SS plays a part in that too I suppose.

I also wonder how they see Jose Garcia? Maybe they think he'll be ready sooner rather than later. I'm probably reading too much into it, but it's interesting.
    Maybe Iglesias is going to let them match whatever offer he gets?

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Maybe Iglesias is going to let them match whatever offer he gets?
    I think its time to forget about Iglasias. I'm thinking that Reds fans are going to get real tired of his bat. Think about his second half of last season. As bad as I don't want Galvis at SS, I really don't want Iglesias.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I think its time to forget about Iglasias. I'm thinking that Reds fans are going to get real tired of his bat. Think about his second half of last season. As bad as I don't want Galvis at SS, I really don't want Iglesias.
    I had no problem with Iglesias. I just think it came down to a choice between Iglesias and Galvis. Reds chose Galvis. I would have chosen Iglesias.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

10. Likes:

Redeyecat (12-10-2019)

Have we asked this question yet....regarding this offseason, do we think our Front Office is only trying to acquire for this upcoming year or for next cycle of competitive teams (2-3+ years) Meaning, if Betts type trade is on the table is it possible they turn it down because an extension wasn't possible for the amount of guys we'd have to send them back. Same for others possibly available on walk years like Bryant (assume winning grievance), and others out there.

Jon Heyman

Verified account

@JonHeyman
    36m36 minutes ago
    https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...47873416953856
    Gregorius seems likely to get 14-15M a year on a multiyear, which may price out Reds, who like him but are covered there with Galvis, in case. Phillies, others thought to be in.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (12-09-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Jon Heyman

Verified account

@JonHeyman
    36m36 minutes ago
    Sometimes I wonder if the default belief among national press is that the Reds are strapped for salary, and they base their idle speculation on that.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

15. Likes:

757690 (12-09-2019),Edd Roush (12-09-2019),NebraskaRed (12-09-2019),redsmetz (12-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if the default belief among national press is that the Reds are strapped for salary, and they base their idle speculation on that.
    Agree, although Heyman has seemed up to date on the Reds.

His point here may be that Reds have other more pressing needs. Galvis is a starting MLB player and, while some here don’t want him, the Reds may feel otherwise.

It’s all speculation anyway, Reds may just go for the best guy they can get, almost regardless of position. They seem willing to move guys around. Seems to be their philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Jon Heyman

Verified account

@JonHeyman
    36m36 minutes ago
    If Didi is going to cost 15 million per year and multiple years, I would honestly rather use the money on a starting pitcher.
    What do you guys think?
    Of course, if there is money for both, I would not complain.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

18. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (12-09-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Maybe the assumption isn't that we can't afford him, but we choose not to for that price.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-09-2019),Red X (12-09-2019),Redeyecat (12-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Maybe the assumption isn't that we can't afford him, but we choose not to for that price.
    Exactly. They won't dole out another $60M+ contract for Didi. He's too risky on a 4 or even 3 year deal. 2/$32M? Reds would likely be all over that.

And I do believe that Garcia's emergence has allowed the Reds to adjust their SS plan. They can continue going stopgap until Garcia is ready and use those resources in areas where the organizational depth is more dire, like OF and relief pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    If Didi is going to cost 15 million per year and multiple years, I would honestly rather use the money on a starting pitcher.
    What do you guys think?
    Of course, if there is money for both, I would not complain.
    I wouldn't invest heavily in Gregorius. After he came back from injury last year his numbers got progressively worse and you have to wonder if that's his new normal.

You can never have enough pitching. Adding a quality SP to the mix can only help the rotation and bullpen over the entire season. It would be nice if they could add another bullpen arm, but I don't know exactly what's out there that makes sense for them.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (12-09-2019)

Heyman is good at reporting, lousy at analysis.

The Reds have already signed Moustakas for a 4 year, $64M deal, and were then in the bidding for Wheeler at over $100M for five years.

They are not “priced out” for Didi.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

25. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (12-09-2019)

Turn Off Ads?