Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 64 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

Re: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

Yea, I like Ryu much better than Bumgardner as a fit for the Reds too.
    I am guessing Ryu gets 4 years though, and I have no problem giving it to him.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-05-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I would also rather have Ryu than Bumgarner

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-05-2019),REDREAD (12-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    But if they are trading Disco Or Mahle, they don't really need a high end arm to replace them. Roark would be an upgrade over Mahle and close to Disco IMO. They could still trade either with a signing like that. If the plan was to deal Bauer I could see the need for something higher end. I was all for MadBum, but I agree with those who are skeptical of those HR. I could see him being a catastrophe. I personally would love a 200 inning guy like him, but he just seems like a poor bet for GABP.

Personally, even with Moustakas, I think the Reds offense is on life support. I hope the focus is on adding a couple more bats. I'm OK with the rotation as is (though I'd like more depth).
    Roark pitched well with the Reds, but had a 4.58 ERA with Oakland and a 4.67 FIP for the season. I wouldn't spend on him, I'd rather just stick with Mahle. Reds seemingly do want to upgrade that last starter's spot, they obviously conceive of a team with a very high end rotation.

Moustakas fills the biggest need offensively. A lefty middle of the order hitter with power. Only Grandal was a better fit offensively among FAs. And since he can play second base, Moustakas ultimately is a good fit.

I never thought Reds would add three starting position players. I thought 2, and stick to it. I didn't expect they would try to meaningfully upgrade the rotation, surprised at that, but a top rotation is always a good plan. Hope they succeed at that.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-05-2019 at 10:49 AM.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I think the Reds need to sign someone who can hold the fort in the #5 spot, which enables the team to do two things:

1) Include either Mahle or Disco in a package to get a SS
    2) Allow time for Lodolo to matriculate to the majors and debut sometime late in the season

At this point I wonder if the Reds should bring back Alex Wood. Word out of Driveline is that he's healthy and ready to go. He needs a pillow deal to re-establish his value. The Reds need a guy who will accept a 1-yr contract to fill that #5 spot. Wood could also go to the pen if need be.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-05-2019),Rdirtypirates (12-05-2019),redsman2007 (12-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I think the Reds need to sign someone who can hold the fort in the #5 spot, which enables the team to do two things:

2) Allow time for Lodolo to matriculate to the majors and debut sometime late in the season

At this point I wonder if the Reds should bring back Alex Wood. Word out of Driveline is that he's healthy and ready to go. He needs a pillow deal to re-establish his value. The Reds need a guy who will accept a 1-yr contract to fill that #5 spot. Wood could also go to the pen if need be.
    I wouldn’t mind bringing Wood back. The idea of bringing in a longer term higher in the rotation guy to ease the possible loss of Bauer was starting to appeal to me, but if they can get Wood back cheaply, that might be a good bargain deal to make. Has a lot of upside if he can fully bounceback.

10. Likes:

redsman2007 (12-05-2019),WrongVerb (12-05-2019)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Getting Ryu, Wood, Didi and Akiyama would be my priority list going forward. Probably in that order, too.

I'd be surprised on Wood. Reds were going after Zach Wheeler on an LTC. The substitute is Alex Wood on a 1-year make good contract? With an off-season declaration of health? I doubt it. They seem to be looking bigger, not for bounce back candidates.

I wouldn't do it myself, except if I was just looking for competition for Mahle. If that were the plan, then maybe.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (12-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'd be surprised on Wood. Reds were going after Zach Wheeler on an LTC. The substitute is Alex Wood on a 1-year make good contract? With an off-season declaration of health? I doubt it. They seem to be looking bigger, not for bounce back candidates.

I wouldn't do it myself, except if I was just looking for competition for Mahle. If that were the plan, then maybe.
    I could see signing Ryu/Bumgarner etc, and also signing Wood to compete with Mahle for the 5th spot, and then trading Disco for another area of need.

Public Interest announcement: The Reds need another starting pitcher even if it appears the dance card is full (by penciling in Mahle at number 5). Except for 2012, they always need at least one more starting pitcher to make it through 162 games (and more likely 2). I'd be ok with Roark coming back - Wood worries me on just because of his health and he will likely still want to be paid --Ryu is ok but not very durable.

I won't be surprised to see a trade next week answering this question on whose number 5?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Wood? Ew. Why?
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Getting Ryu, Wood, Didi and Akiyama would be my priority list going forward. Probably in that order, too.
    Ryu, Didi and Akiyama would work for me. Wood is one to keep tabs on but there are other options that could be just as good.

Keuchel was okay with ATL, so I'd like to see the Reds sign him and then bolster the bullpen and get another bat. The almighty Twitter says, "The Reds are going to do more." I wonder if "more" means free agent signings or trades?

19. Likes:

REDREAD (12-05-2019),redsman2007 (12-05-2019)

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Bowden makes a winter meetings move for every franchise.

https://theathletic.com/1429263/2019...-all-30-teams/

Cincinnati Reds
    Trade infielder Jonathan India, outfielder Jesse Winker and right-handed pitcher Tyler Mahle to the Pirates in exchange for outfielder Starling Marté. The Reds have already added free-agent second baseman Mike Moustakas to their lineup and now would add another impactful player in Marté, an above-average center fielder with 25-home-run power and stolen base talent who wou
    ld fit nicely at the top of their lineup.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (12-05-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxRedsFan View Post

Bowden trading assets for a toolsy OF. You don't say...
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

23. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-06-2019),Chip R (12-05-2019),Edd Roush (12-05-2019),Kinsm (12-05-2019),Strikes Out Looking (12-05-2019),The Operator (12-05-2019),wolfboy (12-05-2019),WrongVerb (12-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxRedsFan View Post

Winker has several years of control to go with his good MLB numbers, if he were in this deal I don't think it should also take India and Mahle. Winker and a lottery ticket is probably a fair offer. I'd rather see though if I could get some sort of India/Mahle package to land him, though.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?