Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 64 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

Could the Reds finally tap into Japan to fill some needs?

Since 2015 when Ichiro Suzuki joined the Marlins, the Cincinnati Reds have been the only team in Major League Baseball to have never had a Japanese player. With a willingness to spend, several players from Nippon Professional Baseball making the move to the United States and an increase in the team’s professional scouting in Asia, could 2020 be the year where the Reds are no longer the answer to that particular trivia question?

One of Reds President of Baseball Operations Dick Williams’ first moves, when he took over full responsibilities of running the front office, was to expand the team’s presence in Asia. He hired Rob Fidler as the team’s manager of Pacific Rim scouting and Jamey Storvick as an area scout based in Taiwan.

The Reds used a scouting service in Asia before 2017 but had no dedicated scouts on the continent. The additions of Fidler and Storvick have helped streamline the process and give the team its own eyes in Asia.
    So, who could be in play? Three Japanese players have been posted so far and another is an international free agent, allowing him to sign anywhere without going through the posting system.

Here’s who is available from Japan and how they would or would not fit with the Reds.

CF Shogo Akiyama
    Presumably the best fit for the Reds, the 31-year-old Akiyama has played center field most of his career, but as Jim Allen, a baseball writer based in Japan, wrote, his skills in center have been on the decline and some don’t expect him to be able to stick in center in the United States.
    OF Yoshimoto Tsutsugo
    While Akiyama has some power, Tsutsugo is a pure power hitter, hitting 29 homers for the Yokohama DeNA BayStars last season and 44 in 2016. Tsutsugo turned 28 last month, so he’s younger than Akiyama.
    2B Ryosuke Kikuchi
    A slick-fielding second baseman, Kikuchi wasn’t a great fit for the Reds before the team agreed to a deal with Moustakas to play second and now he’s not a fit at all.
    RHP Shun Yamaguchi
    Yamaguchi, a 32-year-old right-hander, is one of the more intriguing players on the market from Japan. The first part of Yamaguchi’s career was as a closer for the BayStars before he transitioned to the rotation in 2014.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Likes:

DocRed (12-04-2019),Edd Roush (12-04-2019),NC Reds (12-04-2019),Revering4Blue (12-04-2019),Tom Servo (12-04-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I got you and The Operator confused as normal. My deepest apologies!
    That's weird; the natural tendency would be to confuse you and Bateman because of the avatars. I know it's hard to confuse yourself with someone else, but trust me, it can be done.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

5. Likes:

kaldaniels (12-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    So upset right now.
    All joking aside it’s cause you are both reasonable posters who are well thought out.

Apologies to everyone else!

7. Likes:

The Operator (12-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    That's weird; the natural tendency would be to confuse you and Bateman because of the avatars. I know it's hard to confuse yourself with someone else, but trust me, it can be done.
    C'mon, my avatar is waaaay better.

His is just Charlie, while potentially being sober.

Mine has a very clearly drunk and drug high Charlie, and me as an added bonus.

This is even worse news than being confused with The Operator!

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

9. Likes:

Always Red (12-04-2019),The Operator (12-04-2019)

Really hope we sign one of the Japanese OF'ers although I would prefer Akiyama only because I am partial to the MMA legend.

Not a rumor but Reds get Competitive Balance pick round B #72 overall, which can be traded.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ick-order.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I think I like Keuchels ground ball tendencies to play better at GABP than Madbum right now.
    any speculation out there about him? Assume he is not returning to Braves after they signed Hamels.

What remains to be seen, for now, is whether president of baseball operations Dick Williams and general manager Nick Krall will pivot and pursue another high-end free-agent starter.

So far this offseason, the Reds have not been linked to talks with Bumgarner, Ryu or Keuchel. The club showed interest in Keuchel last winter, but the former Astro went unsigned until well into the regular season, when he finally reached a one-year deal with the Braves on June 7.

While the Reds were unsuccessful in acquiring Wheeler, their efforts underscored that the club will be a team to watch closely during the Hot Stove season.
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-u...n-zack-wheeler

Heyman says in tweet Reds interested in MadBum. Notes that David Bell was in SF front office.

Says a decision on him could come soon.

Among several other “logical” teams.

15. Likes:

americanoutlaw1 (12-04-2019),DocRed (12-04-2019),malcontent (12-04-2019),Revering4Blue (12-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Heyman says in tweet Reds interested in MadBum. Notes that David Bell was in SF front office.

Although I prefer Ryu any of Madbum, Keuchel or Ryu would be a big upgrade over Mahle. But ya I could see a run on second tier starters after Wheeler and Cole Hamels are off the market now.
    Last edited by DocRed; 12-04-2019 at 08:52 PM.

MLBTR also says, in MadBum article, that Reds have also been linked to Ozuna.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Love to see the Reds sign MB. He'd be their best lefty starter since...Pete Schourek?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

19. Likes:

DocRed (12-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    And we thought trade proposals on our own board were terrible. Check this out...

One blockbuster move for all 30 MLB teams
    Drugs are a terrible thing to waste.

21. Likes:

WrongVerb (12-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Love to see the Reds sign MB. He'd be their best lefty starter since...Pete Schourek?
    Joe Nuxhall

23. Likes:

malcontent (12-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I’m not too sure about this idea if it’s a big contract. MB allowed 1.3 homers per nine pitching in SF. Low GB rate.

Generally hasn’t been a problem but was last year.

GABP and all that. Does he still have it?
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-04-2019 at 09:38 PM.

25. Likes:

REDREAD (12-05-2019)

Turn Off Ads?