Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

Re: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I think we both can agree that we hope to find out what happens with Galvis because the Reds have upgraded SS.
    Sure, maybe that’ll happen.

2. Turn Off Ads?

MLB teams now days are moving away from having an everyday starting eight. I can see Galvis getting plenty of ABs
    off of the bench and with his flexibility he can start a lot of games... I wouldn't call that an insurance policy, I'd call that an experienced role player.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 12-09-2019 at 11:15 PM.

4. Likes:

Griffey012 (12-09-2019),RED VAN HOT (12-10-2019),Tuff Nut (12-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Some (probably weaker) team will have playing time for Galvis. Or somebody will have a middle infield injury. Any of these situations would make more sense than Galvis as a Reds insurance policy sitting on the bench.
    How much weaker can the Reds' middle infield get? Right now they have exactly one guy that can play SS on the roster: Galvis. At minimum, you're going to need 2 guys that can play SS headed into the season.

What happens if Suarez gets hit on the hand again? The new SS pulls a hamstring going after a ball in the hole? You need depth if you're going to compete for playoff spots. Injuries are going to happen and having a guy with starting experience on the bench is a great thing.

For years Reds fans complained about having a terrible bench.

6. Likes:

CaiGuy (12-10-2019),RED VAN HOT (12-10-2019),REDREAD (12-10-2019),Ron Madden (12-09-2019),Tuff Nut (12-10-2019),WrongVerb (12-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    How much weaker can the Reds' middle infield get? Right now they have exactly one guy that can play SS on the roster: Galvis. At minimum, you're going to need 2 guys that can play SS headed into the season.

What happens if Suarez gets hit on the hand again? The new SS pulls a hamstring going after a ball in the hole? You need depth if you're going to compete for playoff spots. Injuries are going to happen and having a guy with starting experience on the bench is a great thing.

For years Reds fans complained about having a terrible bench.
    The discussion assumed that Reds sign Didi Gregorius.

The Reds’ infield would be Suarez, Didi, Moustakas and Votto.

I don’t think Reds would spend $5.5 million for a player to sit behind them, and I don’t think Galvis would accept that role. There would be very little available playing time and the player would simply be insurance.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I don’t think Reds would spend $5.5 million for a player to sit behind them, and I don’t think Galvis would accept that role. There would be very little available playing time and the player would simply be insurance.
    Galvis doesn’t really have a choice lol

And maybe he should be a guy who can consistently OPS above 700 if he theoretically wants to demand to be a starter.

9. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (12-09-2019),Griffey012 (12-09-2019),Redeyecat (12-10-2019)

He wouldn't have much say in it though. If he's going to cause waves in the clubhouse then I'd ship him out. Otherwise, he's a valuable asset for the bench and would still get several ABs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Galvis doesn’t really have a choice lol

And maybe he should be a guy who can consistently OPS above 700 if he theoretically wants to demand to be a starter.
    Most professional sports teams would accommodate Galvis’ request. He’s a very respected player and the circumstances would have changed.

It would be one thing if he was being asked to platoon or share a position. But I believe Reds would try to accommodate Galvis in this situation where there is very little playing time available absent an injury.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-09-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Ken Rosenthal follows up on the report about Didi looking at one year deals.

The Reds already have signed free-agent infielder Mike Moustakas to a four-year, $64 million deal and also are interested in another high-priced free agent, outfielder Marcell Ozuna, according to major-league sources.

Might they also add free-agent shortstop Didi Gregorius?

It’s not out of the question, particularly if Gregorius bets on himself with a one-year contract — a possibility he and his agents are considering, sources said.
    The Reds, at first glance, seem an unlikely fit for Gregorius, given their pursuit of Ozuna and their $5.5 million commitment to shortstop Freddy Galvis in 2020. But while much has been made of Gregorius’ connection to Phillies manager Joe Girardi from their days together with the Yankees, his ties to the Reds might be even stronger.
    https://theathletic.com/1447381/2019...nt-more-notes/
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

13. Likes:

757690 (12-09-2019),Edd Roush (12-10-2019),indy_dave00 (12-09-2019),Mitri (12-09-2019),Redeyecat (12-10-2019),Ron Madden (12-09-2019)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    Will the #Reds sign a player this week? Dick Williams says, “I would say it’s entirely possible. We’ve been active. There is not one that I would say is likely to happen yet. We’re active on a lot of ones

15. Likes:

adkindo (12-09-2019),Edd Roush (12-10-2019)

If the Reds weren't comfortable spending $5.5 million on a player at a position they were always looking to upgrade in the offseason, relegating Galvis to the bench, they never would have picked up his club option in the first place.

Earlier you suggested the Reds could trade him and eat some of the salary. Okay, let's assume somebody would be agreeable to that. The Reds wouldn't get anything of value in return and they'd still have to go sign someone a la Jose Iglesias to backup 2B/SS. So they'd be saving little to no money, weakening their bench and risking not being able to get a quality backup once the SS market sorted itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    If the Reds weren't comfortable spending $5.5 million on a player at a position they were always looking to upgrade in the offseason, relegating Galvis to the bench, they never would have picked up his club option in the first place.

Earlier you suggested the Reds could trade him and eat some of the salary. Okay, let's assume somebody would be agreeable to that. The Reds wouldn't get anything of value in return and they'd still have to go sign someone a la Jose Iglesias to backup 2B/SS. So they'd be saving little to no money, weakening their bench and risking not being able to get a quality backup once the SS market sorted itself out.
    The Reds exercised Galvis because they had no starting second baseman or shortstop. They likely thought it probable that Galvis would man one of those positions.

If it turns out they sign an expensive free agent starting shortstop AND second baseman, that changes the situation. In that case, I think they will try to trade him, even with a very limited return.

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-10-2019),Old school 1983 (12-10-2019)

The Reds exercised Galvis because they had no starting second baseman or shortstop. They likely thought it probable that Galvis would man one of those positions.

If it turns out they sign an expensive free agent starting shortstop AND second baseman, that changes the situation. In that case, I think they will try to trade him, even with a very limited return.
    If the Reds land Didi to go along with Moose, I could see the Reds fielding offers on Galvis, but I don't think they'd be in any rush to just give him away. He would give them solid depth at both SS & 2B. Throw in Moustakas' ability to play a quality first or 3B and you've got a lot of quality versatility & depth on the IF. This is a must if the are serious about a true run at the 2020 postseason.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-09-2019 at 11:19 PM.

20. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-10-2019),Revering4Blue (12-10-2019),Tuff Nut (12-10-2019)

I do not really get the issue....we have to have a legitimate backup middle infielder, right? We were going to pay Jose Iglesias a little over $2 Million for that role last season, right? Having a few more million invested in someone (Galvis) this year cannot be such a huge issue? Why would we eat couple million of his salary, then have to pay someone a couple million to play that role?

22. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (12-10-2019),Griffey012 (12-09-2019),REDREAD (12-10-2019),redsman2007 (12-10-2019),Revering4Blue (12-10-2019),Ron Madden (12-09-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I think a bench of:

UT Galvis
    UT Farmer
    OF Jankowski
    OF Ervin
    CA Casali

...is really nice. Add guys like Blandino, VanMeter, Schebler, Martini, etc at AAA, and that's a lot of depth.
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 12-09-2019 at 11:17 PM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

24. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-10-2019),Redeyecat (12-10-2019),Ron Madden (12-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I think a bench of:

UT Galvis
    UT Farmer
    OF Jankowski
    OF Ervin
    CA Casali

...is really nice. Add guys like Blandino, VanMeter, Schebler, Martini, etc at AAA, and that's a lot of depth.
    I would guess that 1 of Winker and Aquino are there. I do believe the Reds will add an OF.

Turn Off Ads?