Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

Re: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SErebel11 View Post
    Why are people wanting to have one of the best rotations in baseball then turn around and hope they finding a crappy framing and defensive catcher to catch them?
    What bothers me alot more? a catcher like Barnhart on no ball 2 strike counts calling for anything close to the middle of the plate. A good catcher makes the hitter chase out of the zone or in the dirt.. He didn't do that. Many times this year seeing our pitchers get burned on 0-2, which I never understood with him as catcher.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Why are people wanting to have one of the best rotations in baseball then turn around and hope they finding a crappy framing and defensive catcher to catch them?
    Because the Reds need offense. They had one of the best rotations last year with a supposedly steller defender behind the plate and they were a fourth place team with a negative run differential. When you are below average at first base and questionable in RF, you have to try to get more offense out of the up the middle spots. With Grandal off the market, Narvaez may be the best hitting up the middle player available this winter.

I think framing is a real thing, but I think the impact is exaggerated. A lot of these numbers are reliant on the quality of the pitchers involved. It's not really possible to frame with guys who are all over the place. The question is whether good pitchers make good framers or good framers make better pitchers. I think good pitchers make good framers even if the guy is a below average receiver of the ball. Ideally we'd have a guy who can do both, but that isn't so easily obtained.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

If the Reds want upgrade defensively at catcher, Alex Avila is sitting out there. He could be signed for 2 years, with an option for a 3rd, most likely at a very reasonable price. That would give the Reds a cushion as TySteve establishes himself at the major league level.

I'm convinced the Reds aren't trading the very cheap and LH hitting Barnhart. But they may want to move on from Casali.
    Gratitude + Forgiveness = Happiness

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    If the Reds want upgrade defensively at catcher, Alex Avila is sitting out there. He could be signed for 2 years, with an option for a 3rd, most likely at a very reasonable price. That would give the Reds a cushion as TySteve establishes himself at the major league level.

I'm convinced the Reds aren't trading the very cheap and LH hitting Barnhart. But they may want to move on from Casali.
    I have the opposite feeling, I think the Realmuto pursual last year shows that they'd move Barnhart if they could.

The Avila idea isn't bad, I like that route better than trading assets for a similar catcher.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I have the opposite feeling, I think the Realmuto pursual last year shows that they'd move Barnhart if they could.

The Avila idea isn't bad, I like that route better than trading assets for a similar catcher.
    What catcher is both available and (much) better than Barnhart?

I'm fine with Chirinos as a stop-gap. He's shown a solid bat throughout his career, and his framing/ defensive numbers vary widely.

If the Mets pay nearly his entire salary, I'm fine with targeting Wilson Ramos in a trade. I'd also look into Austin Hedges-- at one point, he was a good offensive player. In a home ballpark more conducive to pop, he may find a league average bat to go along with his superior D.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    What bothers me alot more? a catcher like Barnhart on no ball 2 strike counts calling for anything close to the middle of the plate. A good catcher makes the hitter chase out of the zone or in the dirt.. He didn't do that. Many times this year seeing our pitchers get burned on 0-2, which I never understood with him as catcher.
    Silly me....I thought it was the pitcher who tried to get the hitter to chase.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

8. Likes:

Hubba (11-26-2019),Redeyecat (11-27-2019),RedlegJake (11-26-2019)

I don’t think our pitchers are good because of pitch framing, I think they’ll manage with whoever is back there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

According to Doug Goold (STL Post-Disp):
    “...Ozuna is intrigued by Cincinnati.”

Name:  E5C2EFBB-B4B1-4F29-BDBF-5A31CBA3B3E7.png
Views: 686
Size:  97.7 KB
    "In our sundown perambulations of late through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base,' a certain game of ball. We wish such sights were more common among us...The game of ball is glorious..." -Walt Whitman, 1846

Are we close to the part of the off-season when the Reds sign Juan Graterol yet?

12. Likes:

CySeymour (11-26-2019),Griffey012 (11-26-2019),malcontent (11-26-2019),Old school 1983 (11-26-2019),The Operator (11-25-2019)

If Ozuna turns out to be our OF acquisition...palm to face....no double palm to my face

14. Likes:

Hubba (11-26-2019),Powder River (11-26-2019),Tuff Nut (11-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsville View Post
    If Ozuna turns out to be our OF acquisition...palm to face....no double palm to my face
    I'm becoming pretty intrigued by Ozuna as I dig deeper into him as a player. Last season he was arguably the least "lucky" hitter in the league. He hit the ball hard, hit line drives, and had a .250 BABIP to show for it. His expected wOBA was 24th in the entire league. Right there with guys like Josh Bell, Alex Bregman, and Max Muncy. It could be the case the Reds get a discount due to him being unlucky in 2019.

In fact he has been well below his expected wOBA both seasons in St Louis.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-26-2019),marcshoe (11-26-2019),Old school 1983 (11-26-2019),Redeyecat (11-27-2019),Tom Servo (11-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Silly me....I thought it was the pitcher who tried to get the hitter to chase.
    This is a point. There are different kinds of pitchers. Pitchers that pitch to contact and rely much more on hitting spots/corners and there are pitchers who are going to pitch to swing and miss. The ones t5hat are nibblers are going to need a catcher that can frame up a good ball. The one's who pitch to swing and miss need better blockers. I'd say the Reds have more pitchers that are swing and miss guys than swing and miss. Obviously there's some generalization here, but I believe it to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Are we close to the part of the off-season when the Reds sign Juan Graterol yet?
    Like with Grandal, Reds lose out to the AL Central- this time the Twins swooped in.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ine-hardy.html

19. Likes:

Redeyecat (11-27-2019),WrongVerb (11-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    Whaaaa-at? I am so glad its not our pitchers! Drat that Barnhart calling for pitches down the middle of the plate....
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Like with Grandal, Reds lose out to the AL Central- this time the Twins swooped in.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ine-hardy.html
    The lack of having a DH is really killing us this offseason.

Turn Off Ads?