Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 64 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

Re: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I'm becoming pretty intrigued by Ozuna as I dig deeper into him as a player. Last season he was arguably the least "lucky" hitter in the league. He hit the ball hard, hit line drives, and had a .250 BABIP to show for it. His expected wOBA was 24th in the entire league. Right there with guys like Josh Bell, Alex Bregman, and Max Muncy. It could be the case the Reds get a discount due to him being unlucky in 2019.

In fact he has been well below his expected wOBA both seasons in St Louis.
    I would usually be there with you, but his slash-line was pretty much right in-line with his career averages...usually that tells me that he was what he is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't like Ozuna as the main piece of the offseason. If he's a secondary piece behind a trade for someone like Marte in CF then I could see it. But, if it's him alone I think you're better off going all in on pitching.

Cause that enables you to move Senzel to 2nd and go:

Marte
    Votto
    Suarez
    Ozuna
    Winker
    Senzel
    Galvis
    Barnhart
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 11-26-2019 at 03:24 PM.

4. Likes:

TRF (11-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    I would usually be there with you, but his slash-line was pretty much right in-line with his career averages...usually that tells me that he was what he is.
    His slash line was somewhat in line with his career average because of the reasons I just posted. Bad luck, his BABIP took a dump even though he hit the ball harder and hit way more line drives than he ever had before. He also significantly upped his BB% by swinging less. Which is a big reason his slash line wasn't below his career average.

With a BABIP/SLG in line with what he could have expected based on batted ball profile, you have a .288/.375/.548 hitter. Which pretty closely resembled his 2017 season. Hubba, hubba.

But if you want to just ignore all that and say he is what he is, go ahead...
    Last edited by Griffey012; 11-26-2019 at 04:17 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

6. Likes:

Redeyecat (11-27-2019)

His slash line was somewhat in line with his career average because of the reasons I just posted. Bad luck, his BABIP took a dump even though he hit the ball harder and hit way more line drives than he ever had before. He also significantly upped his BB% by swinging less. Which is a big reason his slash line wasn't below his career average.

With a BABIP/SLG in line with what he could have expected based on batted ball profile, you have a .288/.375/.548 hitter. Which pretty closely resembled his 2017 season. Hubba, hubba.

He's also 29, played in 931 games and has a career line of .272/.329/.455. Chances are that is what you're getting going forward. Sure, it's possible he puts up another year like 2017, but counting/paying based on that going forward seems foolish.

I am not sure what that snarky last remark is about, I am a reasonable poster and usually agree with you...look at my history.

I just doubt you can point to luck for 2 meh seasons in a row. I see a 29yo with a sub .800 career OPS and don't really anticipate him to be perennial 900 OPS bat moving forward. Maybe there is more than just "bad luck" under the hood and it's not as simple as normalizing his slash line. But if you want to go ahead and ignore what he has been his entire career to this point, go ahead.

I'd rather the Reds roll with the Wink/Erv platoon in LF, which I think can match or exceed anything they get from Ozuna. Unless he stock falls really low and he can be had for cheap, in which case it's always worth a chance.

If the Reds sign Ozuna, I think it will be a result of Winker’s injury history and his defense.

He’s a very good hitter against RHP - I’d say excellent - but Ozuna is a more solid all around player without the frequent absences.

Can’t ignore all of Winker’s missed time in the majors and minors or his defensive limitations.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-26-2019 at 05:20 PM.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (11-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    I am not sure what that snarky last remark is about, I am a reasonable poster and usually agree with you...look at my history.

I just doubt you can point to luck for 2 meh seasons in a row. I see a 29yo with a sub .800 career OPS and don't really anticipate him to be perennial 900 OPS bat moving forward. Maybe there is more than just "bad luck" under the hood and it's not as simple as normalizing his slash line. But if you want to go ahead and ignore what he has been his entire career to this point, go ahead.

I'd rather the Reds roll with the Wink/Erv platoon in LF, which I think can match or exceed anything they get from Ozuna. Unless he stock falls really low and he can be had for cheap, in which case it's always worth a chance.
    Apologies, my snark hits its annual high during this part of the off-season.

I am certainly not paying Ozuna like he is a .850-.900 OPS bat, nor saying he will be. I am just saying he is intriguing because there signs that there could be more than meets the eye. Assuming the Reds paid him like a 29 year old .800 OPS bat, they could be in for a bargain. Whereas you pay someone like Yasiel Puig (not a suggestion at all) to be an .800 OPS bat, your range of outcomes have a similar mean but much lower upside and probably more downside potential.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 11-27-2019 at 09:04 AM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Seems like I have heard nothing in regards to Puig. If Aquino could play some CF and LF, I would be interested in bringing Puig back if it was at a value rate. Anyone heard much about his expected market?

13. Likes:

Big Klu (11-27-2019)

O'Grady goes to the Rays
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ssignment.html
    The Rays have acquired outfielder Brian O’Grady from the Reds, per club announcements. First baseman Jesus Aguilar was designated for assignment to create roster space.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    for some reason I always though of Beef O'Brady's when he was mentioned....now he will be near where Beef O'Brady's is headquartered and on every other corner.

16. Likes:

Chip R (12-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Aguilar was an all-star in '18 and knocked out 35 HRs. I wonder if someone will swoop in and sign him?

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    Aguilar was an all-star in '18 and knocked out 35 HRs. I wonder if someone will swoop in and sign him?
    As a RH hitter with monster pop, he'd be a fine two-position backup for the Reds.

As a 26th man, he'd be fun to have stashed on the bench most days.

He could also spell Votto, DH, and be that valuable backup 1B every team desperately needs.

(I'd get rid of one relief arm and instead play 4A musical chairs with them.)

Rays Acquire Brian O’Grady, Designate Jesus Aguilar For Assignment

The Rays have acquired outfielder/first baseman Brian O’Grady from the Reds, per club announcements. The Cincinnati organization will receive a player to be named and cash in the swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post

Rays Acquire Brian O’Grady, Designate Jesus Aguilar For Assignment

The Rays have acquired outfielder/first baseman Brian O’Grady from the Reds, per club announcements. The Cincinnati organization will receive a player to be named and cash in the swap.
    if someone wanted to track who the player to be name later ultimately is, how do they do that? Will there be an announcement whenever said low level player is named?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Jonathan Villar just placed on waivers by O's. Interesante.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

22. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (11-27-2019),Griffey012 (11-27-2019)

Turn Off Ads?