Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 64 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

Re: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Jonathan Villar just placed on waivers by O's. Interesante.
    I’m confused why we picked up Galvis option yet wouldn’t grab Villar instead for a few million more.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I’m confused why we picked up Galvis option yet wouldn’t grab Villar instead for a few million more.
    Didn’t the Galvis decision have to be made before Villar was (surprisingly to me) placed on waivers?

4. Likes:

DocRed (11-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Didn’t the Galvis decision have to be made before Villar was (surprisingly to me) placed on waivers?
    The story claimed they couldn’t find any trade partners though. Not sure the exact requirement date for Galvis option so you could be right.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

That is correct.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

It did, but as a handful of posters here argued, it was always very likely a guy like Villar would be available at some point in the offseason, and retaining Galvis for that price was entirely unnecessary. If us randos could predict this happening, the Reds should’ve been able to as well.

8. Likes:

mth123 (11-27-2019)

1. Villar is projected to make twice what Galvis makes.
    2. We don’t know what the Orioles were asking for Villar.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

10. Likes:

DocRed (11-29-2019)

they are still likely to pull him back and try to negotiate a trade, right? I doubt they just allow him to walk for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    It did, but as a handful of posters here argued, it was always very likely a guy like Villar would be available at some point in the offseason, and retaining Galvis for that price was entirely unnecessary. If us randos could predict this happening, the Reds should’ve been able to as well.

Reds likely figured Galvis at $5.5 million is a good deal. He’s an adept fielder at both MI positions, with pop from both sides, and apparently a great teammate. They still can go after another middle infielder, even Villar, if they want to pay him $10 plus million.

As for the O’s, the non-tender deadline is Monday. They likely had decided to non-tender Villar so just put him on waivers a few days earlier.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-27-2019 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    1. Villar is projected to make twice what Galvis makes.
    2. We don’t know what the Orioles were asking for Villar.
    Assuming they can pull him back and keep him I agree, not sure if they can do that this time of year or not. But even if he is making twice as much, he can be a legit short term upgrade at SS. I’m not sure Galvis is good enough offensively to be that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Difference is the Reds had complete control over the Galvis situation. With Villar other teams will be involved. Also Villar could very well make double the money of Galvis. It’s not the same. That being said, I think they should go after Villar.

Villar is going onto waivers. He may not be available to the Reds. He may get claimed by a team with an earlier ability to do so. He will have to not be claimed by the entire AL then the Rockies, Marlins, Pirates and Padres before the Reds would win a claim.
    Last edited by klw; 11-28-2019 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Villar is going onto waivers. He may not be available to the Reds. He may get claimed by a team with an earlier ability to do so. He will have to not be claimed by the entire AL then the Rockies, Marlins, Pirates and Padres before the Reds would win a claim.
    Right. And if he’s already been put on outright waivers, he can’t be “pulled back.”

And if a team claims him off waivers Villar retains his arbitration rights with his estimated salary at $10.4 million.

If nobody claims him he can and will elect free agency.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-28-2019 at 09:44 PM.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...-mlb-2019.html

MLBTR has posted their annual list of potential non-tender candidates - Keep in mind they are only going off of Matt Swartz's arbitration salary projections, there will be non-tenders who aren't arbitration eligible as well.

They've listed over 40 player this year, including our very own Kevin Gausman and Jose Peraza.

One name not listed, whom I think is a real candidate is JBJ in Boston.

This season's non-tender deadline is in less than 72 hours.

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-30-2019),REDREAD (12-01-2019)

Assessing the offseason for the fast-rising Cincinnati Reds

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...mage=BBWqfVD|2

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Assessing the offseason for the fast-rising Cincinnati Reds

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...mage=BBWqfVD|2

Find a way to swing a blockbuster with the M's for Haniger & Narvaez then sign Wheeler & Didi. Find a couple of sollid bullpen arms - offseason. Easy Peasey.

21. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (11-30-2019)

Turn Off Ads?