Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

Re: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

5 teams feeling urgency to make a splash

No team has a more complicated offseason. On the plus side, the Reds have enough quality pitching to go to the postseason, which means there’s an urgency to upgrade the offense and snap a streak of five straight losing seasons. Plenty of teams would love to have this pitching staff. On the other hand, only three NL teams scored fewer runs, and thanks to a combination of unproven youngsters (like Nick Senzel) and aging veterans (like Joey Votto), the Reds can’t be exactly sure where their holes are. Upgrading at shortstop and center field or second base would be reasonable starting points.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-teams-w...2019-offseason

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    5 teams feeling urgency to make a splash

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-teams-w...2019-offseason
    surprised it did not include Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Find a way to swing a blockbuster with the M's for Haniger & Narvaez then sign Wheeler & Didi. Find a couple of sollid bullpen arms - offseason. Easy Peasey.
    I like this path but would like to add Shogo via FA to man CF as well. That might mean downgrading the FA SP acquisition to someone like Kuechel instead of Wheeler though.

He still bangs

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Find a way to swing a blockbuster with the M's for Haniger & Narvaez then sign Wheeler & Didi. Find a couple of sollid bullpen arms - offseason. Easy Peasey.
    What is a realistic trade for Haniger and Narvaez? 3 years control for both.

India, Santillan, Siri? More? Less?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He still bangs

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trade Simulator says India, Santillan, Siri, and Hannah for Narvaez and Haniger put it at 54.6 to 53.5 in the Reds favor. But that might not be a bad starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post

It'd take more.

I'm guessing Winker, India, and perhaps a relief arm like Garrett or Stephenson.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    It'd take more.

I'm guessing Winker, India, and perhaps a relief arm like Garrett or Stephenson.

This is what Reds fans want the trade to be. It's not what the Mariners would demand for two solid and controllable starting players coming off good years.

I think Mariners would demand Tyler Stephenson. Trading a starting catcher, they'd want a young, pre-arb alternative.

Initial ask might be Tyler Stephenson, Tucker Barnhart (stop gap), India, Winker and Santillan.

They'd take Winker but I don't think he's that valuable or a lead guy in this trade.

I could see Tyler S, India, Winker and Gutierrez as a negotiated package. Maybe other smaller pieces involved.

If not Tyler, Reds need another lead piece to go with India and Winker.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-02-2019 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    This is what Reds fans want the trade to be. It's not what the Mariners would demand for two solid and controllable starting players coming off good years.

I think Mariners would demand Tyler Stephenson. Trading a starting catcher, they'd want a young, pre-arb alternative.

Initial ask might be Tyler Stephenson, Tucker Barnhart (stop gap), India, Winker and Santillan.

They'd take Winker but I don't think he's that valuable or a lead guy in this trade.

I could see Tyler S, India, Winker and Gutierrez as a negotiated package. Maybe other smaller pieces involved.

I think you’re underselling Winker here. He’s a career .285/.379/.466 hitter at the MLB level with 4 years of control remaining. The defensive deficiencies have been well documented, but those are less of a concern for an AL club. He could certainly be the headliner in a deal like this. That’s not to say that better secondary pieces than what have been proposed wouldn’t be required, but Winker + is a good start.

10. Likes:

Mitri (12-02-2019),Redeyecat (12-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    I think you’re underselling Winker here. He’s a career .285/.379/.466 hitter at the MLB level with 4 years of control remaining. The defensive deficiencies have been well documented, but those are less of a concern for an AL club. He could certainly be the headliner in a deal like this. That’s not to say that better secondary pieces than what have been proposed wouldn’t be required, but Winker + is a good start.
    Totally agree. And I’m not sure why Winker keeps being suggested in trades. Swap him for Haniger and how much have you really improved the offense? Not that much if any. And considering the extra yr of control he’s got over Haniger I’m not sure I’d do it. The objective is to add offense. Let’s not add offense by trading away our 2nd most productive bat.

12. Likes:

Tuff Nut (12-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

fwiw, Haniger's coming off a year in which he missed more than half the season because of a busted testicle followed by a back injury.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

14. Likes:

Redeyecat (12-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    Winker is arbitration eligible beginning in 2021. He is controllable, but so are Haniger and Narvaez - the guys Mariners are (supposedly) shedding. His contract status is not a big plus for them.

Winker is often injured and a platoon hitter. He can DH, but isn't a big bopper type.

The Mariners know all this. It's not just Reds fans who see the limitations. Winker has value but he's not a lead piece in a major trade.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-02-2019 at 12:33 PM.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (12-03-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    fwiw, Haniger's coming off a year in which he missed more than half the season because of a busted testicle followed by a back injury.
    One normally leads to the other. I know from experience, dude.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

18. Likes:

Chip R (12-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Haniger had 683 PAs playing 157 games in 2018. Winker's major league high is 384 PAs in 113 games last season.

I'm fine with keeping Winker and Ervin in LF. I'm not big on trading him. And I'd rather the Reds sign a FA if they want to change outfielders.

But if Winker is trade bait, although he has value, it's limited by a number of factors, defense, durability, platoon, and as a DH perhaps lack of big power.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-02-2019 at 12:44 PM.

If Winker is to be traded, I'd hope he is used to bring in a fish, bigger than Haniger.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    If Winker is to be traded, I'd hope he is used to bring in a fish, bigger than Haniger.
    I'm assuming from your username that you consider Haniger a weakling.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

22. Likes:

Griffey012 (12-02-2019),Hillsdale87 (12-02-2019),Redeyecat (12-02-2019)

Turn Off Ads?