Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much to tip the pizza delivery guy

Re: How much to tip the pizza delivery guy

Next question: how much do you tip your barber?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I use Uber Eats and GrubHub a lot and I’m never sure how to handle it with the delivery fees, so this thread has been helpful.
    Give those guys cash if you can, don't count on anything given through the app. They are always screwing people somehow or another from what I have read.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-22-2019),North (12-05-2019),TRF (02-17-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    We’ve discussed this in another thread.

The key is if if there is a delivery fee. If there is, that usually means the driver is getting more than minimum wage. If not, then they likely are only getting that.

If there isn’t, I always start with a $5 tip and go up from there, depending on the details. If there is, I start at $2 and go up from there.
    The driver basically never sees that delivery fee, most of the chain places will tell you that in the fine print too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    The driver basically never sees that delivery fee, most of the chain places will tell you that in the fine print too.
    You’re the third person to bring this up.

To clarify, I didn’t say the driver gets the delivery fee. They don’t. But usually, places with a delivery fee pay the driver more than minimum wage. Not always, but usually.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You’re the third person to bring this up.

To clarify, I didn’t say the driver gets the delivery fee. They don’t. But usually, places with a delivery fee pay the driver more than minimum wage. Not always, but usually.
    I wouldn’t really say that’s true either. I’ve delivered for Papa John’s, Dominos, and Snappy Tomato here in Cincinnati, and they all have delivery fees, and none of them paid anything more than minimum wage.

They call me "chef"

If you want to tip $3 instead of $6, just do it. Guesstimating that a delivery fee covers the $2-3 you prefer to hold on to feels silly.

I think it's similar to walking past someone asking for change on the street. It's your decision not to give them anything. "Well, I would give but the statistics show that often times they aren't even homeless/they will use the money for alcohol or drugs/they actually make a lot of money..." feels like a silly waste of brain energy for something that's in your right to simply decline to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    $5

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Give those guys cash if you can, don't count on anything given through the app. They are always screwing people somehow or another from what I have read.
    Interesting, I’ll keep that in mind. I rarely ever carry cash though.

10. Likes:

Boston Red (11-21-2019)

I go to a chain (SportsClips) and do $3
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I rarely ever carry cash though.
    Same, that's the hard part really.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

My Dad worked as a pizza delivery guy in college, he ALWAYS over tipped and made sure I would as well or he would know
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    It's been a long time since I worked in food (decades at this point) but I'd never count on a delivery fee going to the driver, just FYI. Even if they say otherwise, I still wouldn't trust it.
    As a customer, I am paying for delivery if they're charging me so if the driver isn't getting any of that then that's a problem on their end

They call me "chef"

Without consistency, you have no brand.

Worked at Domino's for 6 months in college. There was a $1 delivery charge that the drivers made on every delivery. As long as someone tipped $2 I was happy (this was in the mid 2000s for inflation reference). The worst were the people who would stiff you entirely even if you delivered it on time. We had some regulars who never tipped (see Sea Ray) and we always dreaded those calls coming in.

I always tip $5 at a minimum.

17. Likes:

JayBruceFan (12-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    My barber and I went to high school together. I get a hot towel and straight razor shave along with my cut for $25 and I tip her a $10 spot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Without consistency, you have no brand.
    “ Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food, I can drive a taxi, I can and do cut my own hair. I did, however, tip my urologist. Because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones.”
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

19. Likes:

Larry Schuler (11-21-2019),marcshoe (11-21-2019),Redsfaithful (11-23-2019),RiverRat13 (11-22-2019),TRF (02-17-2020)

In my opinion, $5 tip for Pizza - $5 tip for barber - try to pay that in cash if you can.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?