Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much to tip the pizza delivery guy

How much to tip the pizza delivery guy

I posted this question on a local (Jax) message board and only got one reply. They said for 1 or 2 pizzas you should tip $5 to $6 dollars.

I was flabbergasted. Is that for real?
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How much to tip the pizza delivery guy

lol....no way

20$ pizza gets 3-4$ tip from me

But I almost never get delivery, as I find the best pizza places don't even have delivery - so I pick it up.

4. Likes:

Sea Ray (11-21-2019)

They call me "chef"

25-30% tip for me.

I've worked in the food service industry. I have family that work in it. That extra $1-4 means more in a delivery driver's pocket than mine.

6. Likes:

Bob Sheed (11-21-2019),dfs (11-20-2019),GAC (12-03-2019),RFS62 (11-20-2019),Tom Servo (11-21-2019)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Having been a delivery guy in the past, I always appreciated getting at least 20%

8. Likes:

RFS62 (11-20-2019)

Just do $5 across the board for food delivery - you really going to miss $5?

I mean as a minimum, if you order $100 of food or something, tip more obviously.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

10. Likes:

GAC (12-03-2019)

I worked as a delivery driver for Jimmy John’s when I was younger. Not sure how pizza delivery works, but at JJ’s I was paid $3.50 an hour and had to pay for my own gas. Basically, without tips you make nothing as a delivery driver.

With that said, I’m giving 25-30% for pizza delivery on the rare occasions I get it delivery, my wife doesn’t like deliveries to our house because we have small kids and she’s paranoid. When I am out of town on business and order a pizza to the hotel I go 25-30%, though.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

We’ve discussed this in another thread.

The key is if if there is a delivery fee. If there is, that usually means the driver is getting more than minimum wage. If not, then they likely are only getting that.

If there isn’t, I always start with a $5 tip and go up from there, depending on the details. If there is, I start at $2 and go up from there.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Anyone who has ever worked for tips tends to tip more.

Delivery guys in Miami are often riding bicycles, frequently in the rain in the summertime.

25 - 30% unless they are egregiously late or there's something wrong with the order.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

The key is if if there is a delivery fee. If there is, that usually means the driver is getting more than minimum wage. If not, then they likely are only getting that.

If there isn’t, I always start with a $5 tip and go up from there, depending on the details. If there is, I start at $2 and go up from there.
    It's been a long time since I worked in food (decades at this point) but I'd never count on a delivery fee going to the driver, just FYI. Even if they say otherwise, I still wouldn't trust it.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I usually tip at least $5 for a delivery pizza. I drove for Dominos back in the day when it was 30 minutes or get it free. I know how much they bust their ass. I can spare the bucks. I usually tip like a drunken sailor as long as the service isn’t awful.

https://www.npr.org/2005/05/16/46515...the-pizza-dude
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

16. Likes:

Redsfaithful (11-21-2019),RFS62 (11-22-2019),SunDeck (11-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Anyone who has ever worked for tips tends to tip more..
    As do people who share what they tip on the internet, I’ve noticed.

18. Likes:

Rantly (11-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

That isnt universally true at all. I delivered while I was in college and again a few years ago when we bought a new house and needed a 2nd job to make some extra scratch to help with a few home improvement projects I wanted to do. The delivery fee there did not go to the driver. Some places it does, to ensure the driver gets a very basic minimum to cover a bit of the gas they burn delivering what is otherwise essentially a free delivery if they arent otherwise tipped.

$3-4 is a rock solid tip for a couple of pizzas folks. $5 and you're awesome. If youre ordering a big order ie a pizza party for kids, school function or what not....a general 20% tip is then appropriate. But for the family ordering 2 pizzas and breadsticks or whatever....$3-4 is rock solid and $5 is much appreciated.

20. Likes:

JaxRed (11-21-2019)

This past Saturday I gave the delivery $5 for a medium pizza. I can spare the $5 and thought it was worth it not have to out into northern Virginia traffic and pick it up.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

22. Likes:

GAC (12-03-2019)

If you can afford it, you should tip those guys/gals generously if they successfully deliver your order more or less on time (the $5 minimum suggestion makes sense to me). We live in a society here people!

I use Uber Eats and GrubHub a lot and I’m never sure how to handle it with the delivery fees, so this thread has been helpful.

Turn Off Ads?