Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much to tip the pizza delivery guy

Re: How much to tip the pizza delivery guy

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    try to pay that in cash if you can.
    Sorry, but I don't like to facilitate tax fraud.

2. Likes:

North (11-22-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Worked at Domino's for 6 months in college. There was a $1 delivery charge that the drivers made on every delivery. As long as someone tipped $2 I was happy (this was in the mid 2000s for inflation reference). The worst were the people who would stiff you entirely even if you delivered it on time. We had some regulars who never tipped (see Sea Ray) and we always dreaded those calls coming in.

I always tip $5 at a minimum.
    You're full of excrement. I tip generously. My wife and daughter can attest to this. My father is another story. This is an example of you talking out of your

You don't know what you're talking about. You had no basis for calling me out by name. As for delivery of food, be it pizza, UberEats or whatever, I don't use them. I'm perfectly capable of getting off the couch and picking these things up myself and it saves me the delivery charge and the tip. I'll tell you one more thing: I make an effort to tip in cash. I rarely put the tip on the credit card.

You are full of it.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Sorry, but I don't like to facilitate tax fraud.
    I commend you for this.

I could never make it through a day without giving any money to a corporation or large business.

6. Likes:

BillDoran (11-22-2019),Bob Sheed (11-22-2019)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Next question: how much do you tip your barber?
    My haircut, for like 20 years, is a #4 clip buzz (1/2" buzz cut) all around. It takes like 10 minutes. It's a $15 haircut. I tip $6. Just had it done yesterday. The cut used to be $14, so I'd just drop $20 for roundness' sake. I'm not cutting down on the tip simply because the cut is now a dollar more.

I try to tip at least 30% on anything, and even that feels like too little at times. If I'm going to Skyline and I spend like $6? I feel terrible tipping like $2, which is "a good tip" on that bill.

For me, I don't go out much, or order food much - and if I did, I'm sure it might add up tossing around an extra $2-4 on a tip. But 3 times a month? I've got that much extra money.

8. Likes:

dfs (11-22-2019),goreds2 (11-23-2019),Griffey012 (11-22-2019),Larry Schuler (11-22-2019),Redsfaithful (11-23-2019),Revering4Blue (11-22-2019),The Operator (11-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    My haircut, for like 20 years, is a #4 clip buzz (1/2" buzz cut) all around. It takes like 10 minutes. It's a $15 haircut. I tip $6. Just had it done yesterday. The cut used to be $14, so I'd just drop $20 for roundness' sake. I'm not cutting down on the tip simply because the cut is now a dollar more.

I try to tip at least 30% on anything, and even that feels like too little at times. If I'm going to Skyline and I spend like $6? I feel terrible tipping like $2, which is "a good tip" on that bill.

For me, I don't go out much, or order food much - and if I did, I'm sure it might add up tossing around an extra $2-4 on a tip. But 3 times a month? I've got that much extra money.
    You guys are making me feel cheap. My haircut costs me $16 at a local shop and I've always given them a $20 bill.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

I delivered pizzas for a bunch of different shops all through college and I always found it interesting how people could find ways to justify not tipping delivery drivers. My argument was that, if you tip a server who is bringing your food from the kitchen to your table at a restaurant, you should certainly tip the person who is putting wear and tear on their own vehicle to bring your food from the restaurant to your house. And when the weather is bad, tip them more. Having to deliver in inclement weather can be a harrowing experience.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

11. Likes:

Redsfaithful (11-23-2019),The Operator (11-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You're full of excrement. I tip generously. My wife and daughter can attest to this. My father is another story. This is an example of you talking out of your

You don't know what you're talking about. You had no basis for calling me out by name. As for delivery of food, be it pizza, UberEats or whatever, I don't use them. I'm perfectly capable of getting off the couch and picking these things up myself and it saves me the delivery charge and the tip. I'll tell you one more thing: I make an effort to tip in cash. I rarely put the tip on the credit card.

You are full of it.
    Honestly, I really just wanted to fit in my "see Sea Ray" line. I'm sure you're a great tipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I delivered pizzas for a bunch of different shops all through college and I always found it interesting how people could find ways to justify not tipping delivery drivers. My argument was that, if you tip a server who is bringing your food from the kitchen to your table at a restaurant, you should certainly tip the person who is putting wear and tear on their own vehicle to bring your food from the restaurant to your house. And when the weather is bad, tip them more. Having to deliver in inclement weather can be a harrowing experience.
    The thinking is that you're doing your job and paying you for that job should be between you and your employer. If the customer pays for a delivery either through LaRosa's or through UberEats, why should he have to pay twice? Ditto for a taxi driver or someone who cuts your hair. I can even add another example that many of you likely haven't experienced. If you charter a boat for half a day to go out fishing (my experience was on Lake Michigan) there's a driver and usually a high school kid to do the dirty work of taking care of the lines, lures, throwing the fish in the cooler etc. These trips are not cheap. generally about $400. Then they expect you to tip that teenager (about $60) for him helping you. Well isn't that part of the $400? Apparently not.

Personally I either tip nicely or not at all. I go out to eat a lot. I know there are many very difficult people that servers have to deal with and they often times get stiffed. So I try to compensate them nicely and make their experience with me pleasant. This is particularly important if I will likely frequent this establishment and even more if it's a small town. However I'll also say that tipping has gotten out of hand. There are now tip jars at places where I'm picking up carryout (restaurants/pizza) and at craft beer places where I'm buying a growler. At some point the madness needs to end

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Very good, one of my biggest keys to getting out of debt to be debt free was to cut the eating out or ordering pizza's etc. I could not believe how much I was spending eating out. Yes, now when I eat out on that rare time per month, the tip is super good. (Sorry a little off topic)
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

15. Likes:

North (11-23-2019)

Delivered pizza part-time for 6 months or so for a shop in Buffalo years ago, before the national chains became big. Valente's was the name. Just the one shop.

It was in 1972, and minimum wage was $1.60 (?) then. I got a buck for gas, and 25 cents per delivery. If a delivery was a greater distance than usual, the charge was 50 cents. Tips were minimal...mostly the occasional "keep the change" stuff. Which was fine with me...my compensation was a matter between me and my employer.

If memory serves, I had 6 or 7 deliveries a night on average. So I was making good money at that part-time job. If you earned 5 bucks an hour back then, you were in good shape.

Got free food, too. The owner, Tillie Valente, could have come from Hollywood central casting. She was always saying "Eat! You are a growing boy in school...you gotta eat something!"

17. Likes:

goreds2 (11-24-2019),Sea Ray (11-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I use Uber Eats and GrubHub a lot and I’m never sure how to handle it with the delivery fees, so this thread has been helpful.
    I drive UberX (regular Uber passenger service) and occasionally do an Uber Eats delivery. I have probably done 25-30 Uber Eats trips over the last 2 years. I think I have been tipped maybe twice doing Uber Eats. It's ridiculous. I don't get it. I cannot imagine not tipping someone who brings food to my door. It ticks me off so much that I rarely do it anymore, it's just not worth it to me. I typically receive tips 50% of the time driving UberX, btw.

% should have nothing to do with it.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

If the restaurant or service charges for delivery, then $5 is the most I'll give- and that's only if the food is there in a reasonable amount of time.

There's a local restaurant that delivers awesome broasted chicken. The first time I ordered, they said 30-45 minutes when I asked how long it'd be. Food arrived an hour and a half later. I wrote the check out for about three bucks over.

The next time I ordered, same thing- an hour and a half. Same driver. I mentioned the wait time and he said that he had to drop off a few other orders along the way before hitting ours. I gave him a $10 tip. Every single delivery since has reached our house in 30 minutes or less regardless of the driver. Seems that word got out that we tipped well, so the drivers started bypassing other houses to get to us first.

Haircuts? The stylist gets $10 minimum, even if it's a Cost Cutters $13 hair cut. My mother worked her tail off as a small town hair stylist for over 20 years to help support us. I tip hair stylists well as my own way of symbolically paying her back for that.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

21. Likes:

TRF (02-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Allegro View Post
    I drive UberX (regular Uber passenger service) and occasionally do an Uber Eats delivery. I have probably done 25-30 Uber Eats trips over the last 2 years. I think I have been tipped maybe twice doing Uber Eats. It's ridiculous. I don't get it. I cannot imagine not tipping someone who brings food to my door. It ticks me off so much that I rarely do it anymore, it's just not worth it to me. I typically receive tips 50% of the time driving UberX, btw.
    I used to always tip on UberEats and stopped doing it when they changed to a service charge on every delivery about 6-8 months ago because I was assuming that was just going to the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

You are full of it.
    Name:  61F86gkH36L.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  99.5 KB

Someone got t

Turn Off Ads?