Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds add Jose De Leon

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Reds add Jose De Leon

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    We got our Tanner Rainey. Take THAT, Nats!
    With better control, although that's pretty easy to do.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The thing that kinda bursts my bubble here is knowing that the Rays pretty much tossed him to the curb. They seem to be good at this stuff.
    I’m wondering if this is a Driveline / Boddy inspired pickup.

Will be interesting to follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

4. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-21-2019),kaldaniels (11-20-2019),Old school 1983 (11-21-2019)

Good pickup.

The thing that kinda bursts my bubble here is knowing that the Rays pretty much tossed him to the curb. They seem to be good at this stuff.
    I bet the ptbnl is more than nothing as it seems odd there wouldn’t have been bottom feeder teams in on this.

Tampa has tough choices on their 40, so not too concerned they have huge intel on him other than that he’s still building himself back up from a huge injury and that in itself makes him a wild card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

7. Likes:

dfs (11-21-2019),Edd Roush (11-21-2019),Griffey012 (11-21-2019),Mitri (11-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    15.8 SO/9 in 2019!!!...in 4 innings

And a career 1.000 Winning percentage!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I bet the ptbnl is more than nothing as it seems odd there wouldn’t have been bottom feeder teams in on this.

Tampa has tough choices on their 40, so not too concerned they have huge intel on him other than that he’s still building himself back up from a huge injury and that in itself makes him a wild card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not trying to argue but PTBNL are typically nobodies. I’ll be glad to amend this if proven wrong here. (Not trying to ruffle any feathers but you could argue any of the Reds prospects lower than their 10th best prospect are nobodies as far as trade value goes)

Maybe TB was up against the clock but I’m suprised they couldn’t get more for him.

I mean TB kept this guy over him.

Fox, 23: Acquired with Matt Duffy in the August 2016 Matt Moore trade to the Giants, the athletic switch-hitting shortstop has moved steadily through the Rays system. Ranked No. 19 among Rays by mlbpipeline.com. Spent most of 2019 at Double-A Montgomery, hitting .230 with three homers, 33 RBIs and a .657 OPS, and struggling during a mid-season promotion to Triple-A Durham, hitting .143 with 15 strikeouts in 42 at-bats. He did steal a career-high 39 bases and limited his errors to 17.
    https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays...40-man-roster/
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 11-21-2019 at 12:12 AM.

10. Likes:

DocRed (11-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds
    The #Reds have acquired RHP José De León from the Tampa Bay Rays in exchange for cash and a player to be named later
    We give up Pierre Toutant Beauregard Nelson Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    We give up Pierre Toutant Beauregard Nelson Leonard
    Watch him become a trusted member of The Rays bullpen... it’s just our luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

13. Likes:

Crumbley (11-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Watch him become a trusted member of The Rays bullpen... it’s just our luck.
    Whoosh?
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

15. Likes:

The Operator (11-21-2019)

The Reds are very good at taking advantage of the baseball calendar.

They focus on cut down days when teams are shedding players. They take advantage either before or after the player is actually waived. In this case, they determined De Leon was available on 40-man cut down day, and swooped in. Overall Reds FO has become very creative.

Now let's see if that can translate into some high level major league acquisitions this off-season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-21-2019 at 09:00 AM.

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-21-2019),Gallen5862 (11-22-2019),OhioRiverBarge (11-21-2019),Old school 1983 (11-21-2019),Redeyecat (12-04-2019)

Not trying to argue but PTBNL are typically nobodies. I’ll be glad to amend this if proven wrong here. (Not trying to ruffle any feathers but you could argue any of the Reds prospects lower than their 10th best prospect are nobodies as far as trade value goes)

Maybe TB was up against the clock but I’m suprised they couldn’t get more for him.

Fox was a big time bonus baby a few years back, maybe the Rays just think the upside is higher with him.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Excellent pickup. Worth a shot as a stashed starter in AAA or as swingman. Throws strikes, but he needs his velocity to come back another tick to make the changeup work

If he's healthy he's at worst a decent middle relief option.

20. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-21-2019),M2 (11-21-2019),Redeyecat (12-04-2019),Revering4Blue (11-21-2019),Tom Servo (11-21-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I’m wondering if this is a Driveline / Boddy inspired pickup.

Will be interesting to follow.
    Gullett can fix him!

Remember how the Reds would pick up reclamation projects every season because they thought Gullett had some magic sauce that could make them productive again? Most fell by the wayside with lots of time and roster spots lost. And I'm leery of falling into that same false sense of security with Driveline (DL). I don't mind taking on projects if DL says they might be able to fix them. Just that we shouldn't look at that as a pipeline for producing talent so much as a pleasant surprise when it does happen. Plus, the fewer projects DL has to take on, the more time they can spend with young pitchers who have the talent to excel.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Fair points, Kal.

To be fair, that Fox guy has some A+ skills. If his bat develops at all, he is going to be very exciting (ie. why there was patience with Billy).

Ya, when I say the ptbnl is going to be "more than nothing", I was thinking some kind of prospect in the 15-25 range... but with the inherent value of not requiring a 40 man spot.

Might come down to organizational depth for Tampa who is in less of a need of a bullpen arm. Would they rather trade this guy for a protectable prospect and keep Fox? You're right, this isn't deal breaking stuff, but these players are all talented while being imperfect talent, and if you keep and develop these guys right there is potential for legit major league value in them.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Part of me hope the PTBNL is Cash Case so that the Rays return is Cash and ...

24. Likes:

JaxRed (12-03-2019)

Turn Off Ads?