29 50.00%
  • RHSP Tony Santillan

0 0%
  • C Tyler Stephenson

24 41.38%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #2 Prospect???

2019-2020: Who is the Reds #2 Prospect???

I suppose I'll take over, unless someone else wants to step in to do it (pm me if you do).

Here is the #2 poll, I'm not waiting for the #1 poll to close before posting it because the winner in a landslide is Nick Lodolo, and posters are getting feisty about moving it along.

I will post the #3 poll on Monday unless someone else decides they want to do this.

Please feel free to discuss why you are voting for who you are voting for.....this is a slow time of the year so it's more than welcomed.

***If you are voting other, please make sure to tell me who the other vote is for in the comment section.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #2 Prospect???

I'm throwing my hat in for Stephenson, I believe he's shown the most upside and least amount of question marks.

With a depleted farm system, the Reds really need the former #11 draft pick to work out - and hopefully soon before Votto retires.

4. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-23-2019),mace (11-23-2019),RedlegJake (11-23-2019),REDREAD (11-24-2019)

Went with Stephenson even though I think both Greene and Garcia have higher ceilings.

I went with Garcia. Here's a comparison of Garcia, Stephenson and India at Daytona:

Garcia, age 21, .280/.343/.436
    India, age 22, .256/.346/..410
    Stephenson, age 21, .250/.338/.392

Add in that Garcia's a SS with power projection (some of those 37 doubles are going to start going over the fence), and that puts him over the top for me. I love what Stephenson did last season, and I can't fault anyone with crediting him for making the AA jump. My reservations on him are that he's nothing special on defense and his power hasn't shown up yet. I think he'll be a solid-to-good backstop over time, but it could be 3-4 years before he gets there at the MLB level. Either one of those seems like an easy pick over India, who needs to do better.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Mitri (11-23-2019)

Stephenson, although Greene's upside and Garcia's numbers made me think hard. Tyler made the big jump to AA with his best overall performance yet which is what has me voting for him.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

I went with the LeBron of baseball - Hunter Greene.

10. Likes:

mth123 (11-23-2019)

Greene is a major question mark, but IMO, nobody jumped forward enough to overtake him even with those questions. I voted him at number one, so he's still my pick here.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I voted Hunter Greene but I would start to add Fairchild to the lists soon as he is in my top 5 now.

Let’s get your votes in.

Hunter Greene is at a different level. I think he’ll be number 1 in every published list we see.

I can see downgrading him due to injury but TJ surgery is so common today. I haven’t read of any complication in his case. So there’s no reason to expect he won’t come back strong.

15. Likes:

marcshoe (11-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Hunter Greene is at a different level. I think he’ll be number 1 in every published list we see.

I can see downgrading him due to injury but TJ surgery is so common today. I haven’t read of any complication in his case. So there’s no reason to expect he won’t come back strong.
    I agree.

All prospects are facing long odds and obstacles to becoming MLB players. Coming back from an injury really doesn’t change the odds that much. Greene is head and shoulders above everyone else talent wise. I think he should be the Reds number one prospect.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

You'll get no argument from me on Greene's talent, and there's every reason to expect that he'll recover just fine from TJ. But there's just something about him that gives me pause, a combination of his limited pitching in high school, his mere 72 innings in 3 years as a pro, the skepticism over his injury, his disproportionate celebrity. . . . It all just makes him seem a little less than authentic, as if there's not much there there. Hopefully, all that stuff is now behind him and we'll see the real deal from here on out.

I went with Stephenson, perhaps overemphasizing his strong showing in the AFL.

18. Likes:

mth123 (11-24-2019),REDREAD (11-24-2019)

Green will become a shortstop if he struggles with pitching this year. Let’s remember several teams were going to draft him as a SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I agree.

All prospects are facing long odds and obstacles to becoming MLB players. Coming back from an injury really doesn’t change the odds that much. Greene is head and shoulders above everyone else talent wise. I think he should be the Reds number one prospect.
    I disagree with this and when most top 100 prospect rankings come out, you're going to see 3 Reds prospects all jumbled up near one another - he might end up being ranked higher than the others but no one guy is going to be considered leaps and bounds better than the other.

TJS might be common, but there is no guarantee he comes back, in fact I can share the TJS spreadsheet that shows how many of them still never rebound.

A collegiate pitcher like Lodolo who is healthy and a catcher set to play in AAA are solid competition for the #1 spot in the rankings, and I could be persuaded to vote for any of the 3 depending on which day of the week it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I disagree with this and when most top 100 prospect rankings come out, you're going to see 3 Reds prospects all jumbled up near one another - he might end up being ranked higher than the others but no one guy is going to be considered leaps and bounds better than the other.
    Might even be four-- Greene, T. Stephenson, Lodolo, India-- and another either just outside or just inside the top 100 or so (Garcia).

A sixth-- Fairchild-- may make some honorable mentions due to his torrid AFL numbers and good AA stats.

22. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-24-2019)

Turn Off Ads?