Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2019-2020: RedsZone's Top Reds Prospects Poll Results

Re: 2019-2020: RedsZone's Top Reds Prospects Poll Results

I'm seeking thoughts on a 2020-2021 Top Prospects Poll -->

Due to there not being a minor league season this year, I see little reason to run a new poll this winter.

It's extremely time consuming, outside of the top 10 prospects few RedsZone members have real interest in the polls during a normal winter let alone a shortened season, and there won't be much movement on the list anyway due too the absence of play (I.E. it seems unreasonable to me to believe players who didn't make the list 12 months ago and/or made the list but didn't play this year would somehow move up our rankings).

I'm interested in how the board wishes to proceed.

With the exception of Shogo (who was signed after our polling last year began and wasn't ranked), no player in our previous polling exhausted their MLB ROY eligibility this year, thus they would still qualify for selection to a 2020-21 top prospect list.

Aside from Shogo, only a few of the players that made last year's list saw any game action this year. That small list includes #3 Stephenson (20 MLB PA), #4 Garcia (68 MLB PA), #12 De León (6 MLB IP), #13 Kuhnel (3 MLB IP), #22 Antone (35 MLB IP), and #HM Payton (20 MLB PA). A dozen others saw at least some unofficial playing time at the Reds alternate training site in Mason, Ohio.

Only a handful of players have left the organization; #6 Fairchild, #21 Naughton, and #HM Salvador via trade, #15 Siri was lost off waivers, and a few of our #HM's have left the organization like Clementina and Powers (released upon request) and Thomas (retirement).

Likewise, only a handful of players have entered the organization; the Reds signed all six of their draft selections - they would all likely make a present day Reds top 30 and honorable mention list. Hendrick would probably slot in around #5, Roa around #10, Miller around #15, Bonnin, Wainwright, and Boyle would all likely fall somewhere in the #20 to #HM position. In addition, the Reds acquired Riley O"Brien via trade; he would likely slot somewhere in the #15 to #HM position on an updated Reds prospects list. Other than that a dozen non-drafted free agents were signed for 20K$ or less and the Reds made some additional international free agents signings - all of whom are teenagers.

So, again.....

I'm interested in how the board wishes to proceed.

Additional Moves Post 10/07/20:

Reds non-tendered Bradley, Goodwin, Casali, and Farmer. They subsequently re-signed Farmer to a new split MLB/MiLB contract.

#17 Gutierrez and #HM Solomon were added to the 40 man roster, as was formerly mentioned O'Brien.

#13 Kuhnel was outrighted to the Reds minor league system at year's end, still qualifies for the prospect list

#16 Hannah was traded.

#25 Sceroler was lost to BAL via Rule 5 draft, major league phase.

#HM's Ibandel, Sugilio, Beltre, and Crook were lost to Free Agency.

Bailey, Medina, Hoffman, Williams, Ramirez, and Rivas were acquired via trade. Neither Hoffman nor Ramirez qualifies for prospect lists. Bailey (HOU-#29) and Rivas (LAA-#21) should make a new top 30 prospects list. Williams (COL-2020 4th RD Draftee) could make the backend of a list or an #HM selection. Medina is unlikely to make a top prospect list at this time.

Reds signed minor league free agents Smith, Cuthbert, De Leon, and Garcia. Neither Smith nor Cuthbert qualifies for a prospect list, the other two aren't good enough to make a top prospects list at this time.

Reds re-signed minor league free agents Biddle and Alaniz. Neither would make a prospect list.

Reds added six minor league players, and lost another three in the minor league phase of the Rule 5 draft. Added E. Robinson, Astudillo, C. Robinson, Yanqui, Robertson, and Leyton. They lost Finol, Reyes, and Zorrilla. None of the players gained or lost are good enough to make a top prospects list at this time.
    Last edited by Kinsm; 12-13-2020 at 12:03 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think something just to refamiliarize us with these guys may be needed. We can go back and read the old threads, but guys have come off the list, others have left the organization some new guys have been added. I wouldn't mind a way to stimulate some discussion just to get back in the swing of things. I'm not sure how meaningful a poll result would be, but the process is helpful. I know it's a lot of work. I ran these a couple of times.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Do a top 10 instead of 40.

I think Hendricks needs to get slotted in, and now that we’ve seen Garcia and Stephenson we know more about them.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I agree with Kinsm. Little point in doing it.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Maybe a discussion of how the newly drafted (or otherwise acquired) prospects fit on the list. No new vote, or maybe a few votes on where new guys fit.

Would need to re-print last year’s list minus guys who have departed the organization.

And some list of the new prospects from the draft, trades, and undrafted FA pickups.

If someone wants to do it and has access to the information, might be a way to generate discussion of the guys.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-07-2020 at 04:08 PM.

We could just do a vote for where we'd slot in the new guys. For any that we'd think would make the top 40.

I'd assume Hendrick and Roa at least.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Do a top 10 instead of 40.
    I agree with this, I think we can at least have a little fun with a top 10 while conceding everything after that is too big of an unknown at the moment.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I also agree with a top ten instead of a top 40. Maybe we can do one poll a week and that way we can boost the discussion on each poll and get better participation.

I would say Top 11 would be the way to go but wait until later in the offseason in case moves shakes things up by bringing guys in or sending them out.

Did Antone use up his prospect eligibility? It feels like he must have.

Another approach would be to vote for top prospect for each position, though many of them would be very clear cut.

I would love the polls again. I think we should do this to see how the new guys fit in.

I'd love to do a top 10 or 11 list (or, at the very least, a top 10 and a sleeper).

I would suggest a quick Top-15

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I would suggest a quick Top-15
    Seems like a good suggestion. Allows enough room to include several of the newly drafted or acquired guys.

I think with the mentioned turnover, a top 10-15 would be a great offseason exercise.

If its not too late to throw in my two cents, these polls are great for folks like me, who really only learn about Reds minor leaguers from this board. When i glance at a stat sheet and see a name, i go to this poll to learn more about what you guys think of him.

That said, i think a top 20 is more than enough. I am willing to help out doing the nug work of the polls, but i have no substantive player knowledge to add to the discussion.

17. Likes:

BillDoran (03-24-2021),Gallen5862 (03-28-2021)

Turn Off Ads?