Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds claim OF Nick Martini off waivers, acquire RHP Justin Shafer, DFA Herget & BOG

Re: Reds claim OF Nick Martini off waivers, acquire RHP Justin Shafer, DFA Herget & B

Martini has an interesting profile, though definitely not starter material. I'm guessing they've fielded more than a few calls about Winker and he's the cheap corner lefty replacement if Jesse is dealt.

Bummed that Herget couldn't be awesome, I liked his style, but he really sputtered at AAA. I'm alway fine cutting the guys who walk too many batters.

Looking at the roster, Kyle Farmer, RJ Alaniz and Jankowski are in the dangerzone.
    Last edited by Mitri; 11-25-2019 at 06:49 PM.

2. Likes:

Tom Servo (11-25-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds claim OF Nick Martini off waivers, acquire RHP Justin Shafer, DFA Herget & B

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Martini has an interesting profile, though definitely not starter material. I'm guessing they've fielded more than a few calls about Winker and he's the cheap corner lefty replacement if Jesse is dealt.
    Yeah I kind of thought that he could be seen as the poor man’s Winker. He’s not a starter like you said but if you give him 200-300 ABs against RHP he can probably put together a good slash line.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

Mitri (11-25-2019)

Shafer is like this year's Matt Bowman. Or Anthony Bass. Or Buddy Boshers.

Solid MLB relief depth of which there are dozens of options.

Martini is a AAAA guy who may click. In 250-ish MLB PAs, he hits RH well: .297/ .395/ .420/ .815.

7. Likes:

DocRed (11-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

Martini is a AAAA guy who may click. In 250-ish MLB PAs, he hits RH well: .297/ .395/ .420/ .815.
    Hmmm... I had thought Dickerson made sense as insurance for Aquino against rhp. Maybe Martini is “cheap” insurance to allow them to spend instead on Wheeler and Didi

Martini, Jankowski, Schebler and VanMeter. Probbaly just one spot for those four guys to fight over. I think this is just a "see what sticks" plan. Maybe a non-tender is coming Schebler's way.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

REDREAD (11-26-2019),wlf WV (11-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Martini, Jankowski, Schebler and VanMeter. Probbaly just one spot for those four guys to fight over. I think this is just a "see what sticks" plan. Maybe a non-tender is coming Schebler's way.
    If the rosters are going to be set at 26, there should be two spots there.

Three if Peraza is non-tendered. (And he very well might be.)

And yeah, Schebler's going to have to show something in order not to be the one sent packing.

12. Likes:

DocRed (11-25-2019),REDREAD (11-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    If the rosters are going to be set at 26, there should be two spots there.

Three if Peraza is non-tendered. (And he very well might be.)

And yeah, Schebler's going to have to show something in order not to be the one sent packing.
    Assuming 8 starting position players, add two back-up catchers, Phillip Ervin and a back-up SS. That leaves one spot.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    If the Reds brass is thinking about him as a possibility to move Winker then they deserve to lose 100 games.

This is a meh transaction, that's made 100 times a winter - neither of these guys should be serious candidates for an opening day 25 man roster and neither were the two guys who were DFA'd.

15. Likes:

mth123 (11-25-2019),RED VAN HOT (11-25-2019),Revering4Blue (11-27-2019),wlf WV (11-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Assuming 8 starting position players, add two back-up catchers, Phillip Ervin and a back-up SS. That leaves one spot.
    You're right.

That is why I think Farmer is important. Third catcher, can play SS, etc.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

18. Likes:

mth123 (11-26-2019),REDREAD (11-26-2019)

Bag your bags Jimmy, Zack Weiss awaits you on the other side.
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 11-25-2019 at 10:32 PM.

The Reds and "dumpster diving," a tradition like no other...

Hopefully, there are some transactions down the line that a worthy of more than 1 or 2 posts...

21. Likes:

REDREAD (11-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    The plan is Thunderdome. Bring in a bunch of guys with a 4A reputation and see if one of them was under-regarded by a prior organization, by letting them fight to the death. I’m good with that
    The Gospel According to Jim Bowden
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

A shame the Reds could not throw together an Outfield of Nick Martini, Chet Lemon and Homer Peel.

24. Likes:

757690 (11-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    A shame the Reds could not throw together an Outfield of Nick Martini, Chet Lemon and Homer Peel.
    If Jay Gibbons wants to come back, would the addition of Frank Onion make for a tasty OF?

Turn Off Ads?