Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds claim OF Nick Martini off waivers, acquire RHP Justin Shafer, DFA Herget & BOG

Re: Reds claim OF Nick Martini off waivers, acquire RHP Justin Shafer, DFA Herget & B

All the young pitching talent the Reds traded for. I hope the responsible parties are gone, whether instructors or evaluators.
    May the Lord bless

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds claim OF Nick Martini off waivers, acquire RHP Justin Shafer, DFA Herget & B

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    You know who always ends up making the best relievers? Failed starters, which is exactly what we have with Stephenson, Garrett, and Reed. Why can't the Reds build their own good bullpen? They have the arms and the system in place to do so. It would be dumb to ignore all the investment and dividends we have seen from the pitching side and go buy a bullpen, that likely isn't better than what we have.

Stephenson just threw 64 innings in 57 appearances with 11K/9 and 3.3 BB/9. He finished the year in dominant fashion and moved into high leverage situations and pitched well. What else is he supposed to do? Better relievers will cost you $10M a year on the open market. Garrett had an up and down year but in the end still rung up a 3.21 ERA with 12.5 K/9, he has room for improvement if he can lower those walks.

How do the Reds get 2-3 bullpen arms that are better than Stephenson and Garrett? Aside from leaving the offense and starting pitching in tact.

Totally fine without Gausman, I only want him back if he signs a cheap deal, I am not paying his likely Arb price. Yet still, you don't get a high end guy for what Gausman will get in Arb.

The Reds best way into contention is improving the offense, adding another starting pitcher, and shoring up the back up on the cheap or with internal options. The Reds have to improve somewhere internally so they can focus resources elsewhere, the bullpen is the best bet.
    They don't need two or three bullpen arms better than Stephenson or Garrett. They need two or three in addition to Stephenson or Garrett. I'm fine writing Iglesias, Garrett, Lorenzen and Stephenson in ink. I'm fine holding a spot for the AAA shuttle which will probably be Bowman to start out with Deleon, Santillan, Alaniz and Kuhnel as possibilities. I'm even fine with one spot for the out of options failed starters, Reed, Sims, Romano whoever. But that's it for the unproven gambles. I want two other proven guys who have experienced late inning success recently and aren't injured. Pomeranz and Cishek would be good but it's not realistic to get both of them. It may require a trade. Mychal Givens would be a nice target and probably be fairly cheap to acquire. If there are multiple spots for Sims, Reed, Romano, Gausman and other failures who haven't proven anything, it's too risky for me. Sometimes failed starters also end up as failed relievers as well. Far more often than they actually become effective relievers if we're being honest and not just hoping.

If they want to parlay Bauer into a couple of young players who settle some of the weak positions, replace him with a longer term rotation piece in free agency and extend the window beyond 2020, I'd be more open to the try-out camp nature of that bullpen, but if the plan is to win around a rotation with two lame duck short timers in it, they need some proven arms out there.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-27-2019 at 10:53 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

REDREAD (11-27-2019)

Reds relief need - at minimum - is an additional guy capable of effective set up pitching in 7th-8th inning.

A role Hernandez played last year. Someone who can do that but more durably and consistently.

The Reds’ current back end is much too iffy right now. There must be a solid fall back option who has shown that ability in the past.

That’s the minimum. More would be even better.

6. Likes:

JCM11 (11-27-2019),mth123 (11-27-2019),REDREAD (11-27-2019)

I would like to add a late inning lefty to the bullpen. Amir has yet to show he can be the #1 lefty in the pen for an entire season. Realistically I think we need two late inning bullpen arms, but getting at least one this off season is a must.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (11-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    I would like to add a late inning lefty to the bullpen. Amir has yet to show he can be the #1 lefty in the pen for an entire season. Realistically I think we need two late inning bullpen arms, but getting at least one this off season is a must.
    Agree on Garrett. Wouldn’t mind if the guy I want to add is left handed.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    They don't need two or three bullpen arms better than Stephenson or Garrett. They need two or three in addition to Stephenson or Garrett. I'm fine writing Iglesias, Garrett, Lorenzen and Stephenson in ink. I'm fine holding a spot for the AAA shuttle which will probably be Bowman to start out with Deleon, Santillan, Alaniz and Kuhnel as possibilities. I'm even fine with one spot for the out of options failed starters, Reed, Sims, Romano whoever. But that's it for the unproven gambles. I want two other proven guys who have experienced late inning success recently and aren't injured. Pomeranz and Cishek would be good but it's not realistic to get both of them. It may require a trade. Mychal Givens would be a nice target and probably be fairly cheap to acquire. If there are multiple spots for Sims, Reed, Romano, Gausman and other failures who haven't proven anything, it's too risky for me. Sometimes failed starters also end up as failed relievers as well. Far more often than they actually become effective relievers if we're being honest and not just hoping.

If they want to parlay Bauer into a couple of young players who settle some of the weak positions, replace him with a longer term rotation piece in free agency and extend the window beyond 2020, I'd be more open to the try-out camp nature of that bullpen, but if the plan is to win around a rotation with two lame duck short timers in it, they need some proven arms out there.
    Well you said the Reds had one decent bullpen arm, Lorenzen. So if they aren't getting guys better than Stephenson or Garrett, isn't that a pretty terrible bullpen?

I am totally on board bringing in another quality reliever, I even stated in a prior post I would like a steady veteran middle reliever added. The rest of your recent posts have made it sound like the pen needs a complete overhaul and it is full of guys who can't be trusted and shouldn't be here. I see nothing wrong with what you've stated here (aside from the fact I am obviously high on Reed, but that is something we can easily be in disagreement on).
    Last edited by Griffey012; 11-27-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

O'Grady goes to the Rays

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ssignment.html

The Rays have acquired outfielder Brian O’Grady from the Reds, per club announcements. First baseman Jesus Aguilar was designated for assignment to create roster space.
    Last edited by klw; 11-27-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    They liked O'Grady so much they cut Aguilar loose to make space for him.

I'd have rather held on to BOG than grab this Martini. I bet BOG will be much better going forward than Nick.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

13. Likes:

RedForLife (11-27-2019)

I think I’d rather have Aguilar than either of BOG or Martini, I’d consider grabbing him.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

15. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-27-2019)

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ssignment.html

Rays Acquire Brian O’Grady, Designate Jesus Aguilar For Assignment

The Rays have acquired outfielder/first baseman Brian O’Grady from the Reds, per club announcements. The Cincinnati organization will receive a player to be named and cash in the swap.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    They liked O'Grady so much they cut Aguilar loose to make space for him.

I'd have rather held on to BOG than grab this Martini. I bet BOG will be much better going forward than Nick.
    I'm not getting that either. Martini might give us 5 HR per year... if we played in Williamsport.

Quote Originally Posted by RedForLife View Post
    I'm not getting that either. Martini might give us 5 HR per year... if we played in Williamsport.
    Our biggest Offensive issue last year was low OBP, not HR's.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Our biggest Offensive issue last year was low OBP, not HR's.
    Something tells me the Martini isn't the answer to those woes.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

20. Likes:

RedForLife (11-27-2019)

Three Martinis every day for lunch, and you probably won't care.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

22. Likes:

cincinnati chili (11-28-2019),RedForLife (11-27-2019),Revering4Blue (11-29-2019)

He can't be the complete answer, but he can be part of it as a platoon Corner OF. Picking up the low OBP, high HR SS option was a mistake. OBP carries from the minors to the majors and he is at his prime age to have his best professional season. I think he will be a positive asset to the team (and that the SS I mentioned will be a negative asset).
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?