Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds claim OF Nick Martini off waivers, acquire RHP Justin Shafer, DFA Herget & BOG

Re: Reds claim OF Nick Martini off waivers, acquire RHP Justin Shafer, DFA Herget & B

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ssignment.html

Rays Acquire Brian O’Grady, Designate Jesus Aguilar For Assignment

The Rays have acquired outfielder/first baseman Brian O’Grady from the Reds, per club announcements. The Cincinnati organization will receive a player to be named and cash in the swap.
    Hope he sticks with Rays big club and does well. Have to assume PTBNL is a non 40 man roster player. I'd rather have a DSL scratch off lottery ticket than a AA scrub.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds claim OF Nick Martini off waivers, acquire RHP Justin Shafer, DFA Herget & B

The OG deal will be a trade that is met with disappointment from every one of his former teammates and former coaches in the Reds organization. One of the most respected and well-liked players in the system over the last decade. In an era when 90 percent of minor league players work extremely hard everyday, he took it to a whole different level and literally made himself into a big leaguer. One of the best leaders I have ever known, he pushed every teammate to keep grinding. As players trickled into the ballpark each day for a 7 pm game, they would hear a familiar sound of O’Grady and a teammate hitting in the cage, often before noon. Reds have had a few guys that compare but he was the gold standard. The leadership traits of Todd Frazier and the work ethic of Miguel Rojas and Seth Mejias-Brean. Those last two, and OG, are examples of guys who are still playing, long after guys with a lot more talent are doing something else.
    Last edited by redsof72; 11-27-2019 at 09:46 PM.

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-29-2019),Edd Roush (11-28-2019),Griffey012 (11-27-2019),JaxRed (11-27-2019),Kingspoint (11-28-2019),klw (11-28-2019),mace (11-27-2019),marcshoe (11-28-2019),ochoa30 (11-27-2019),Old school 1983 (11-28-2019),Patrick Bateman (11-27-2019),Plus Plus (11-29-2019),RED VAN HOT (11-27-2019),RedlegJake (11-29-2019),REDREAD (11-28-2019),The Operator (11-28-2019),wally post (11-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Well you said the Reds had one decent bullpen arm, Lorenzen. So if they aren't getting guys better than Stephenson or Garrett, isn't that a pretty terrible bullpen?

I am totally on board bringing in another quality reliever, I even stated in a prior post I would like a steady veteran middle reliever added. The rest of your recent posts have made it sound like the pen needs a complete overhaul and it is full of guys who can't be trusted and shouldn't be here. I see nothing wrong with what you've stated here (aside from the fact I am obviously high on Reed, but that is something we can easily be in disagreement on).
    Presumably adding two veteran late inning guys would push some guys into lesser roles and would eliminate the need to rely on them multiple days in a row. Adding two guys would basically be an overhaul of the entire pen. The REds problem was that they didn't have enough guys to get through two or three close games in a row. The either had to ride guys to the pint if them being innefective for weeks at a time or they had to turn to unproven guys who shouldn't have been options in those close games. The need more guys.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6. Likes:

HokieRed (11-29-2019),REDREAD (11-28-2019)

Probably got Martini so that when they pull Winker for a pinch hitter in the 5th inning against a lefty reliever, they'll have a lefty bat to pinch hit against the righty reliever the other team brings in an inning later.

8. Likes:

HUHUH (12-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by stein1214 View Post
    Probably got Martini so that when they pull Winker for a pinch hitter in the 5th inning against a lefty reliever, they'll have a lefty bat to pinch hit against the righty reliever the other team brings in an inning later.
    So you managed to find a way to make this about Winker?
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

wow how exciting debating the merits of a retread

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    wow how exciting debating the merits of a retread
    Yeah, we definitely need more of who was the Reds fattest pitcher threads instead.

12. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (11-29-2019),klw (11-29-2019),Old school 1983 (11-29-2019),RedlegJake (11-29-2019),REDREAD (11-29-2019),Revering4Blue (11-29-2019),schroomytunes (11-29-2019),Spider Tre (11-29-2019),terminator (11-29-2019),The Operator (11-29-2019),Tom Servo (11-29-2019),Tuff Nut (11-29-2019),Wonderful Monds (11-29-2019),WrongVerb (11-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yeah, we definitely need more of who was the Reds fattest pitcher threads instead.
    That made my Thanksgiving! Thanks Doug!
    Crazy Reds Fan

no youre right we need more debate about the merits of daniel lutz vs jason bourgeois

no youre right we need more debate about the merits of daniel lutz vs jason bourgeois
    I’ll start. Donald Lutz was on the Reds. Daniel Lutz was not.

Nothing wrong with debating that when the current team is the topic. The problem with those types of fringe players is when it's about players who are long gone. One example might be if some one said something like "Who was better Giovanni Carrera or Gino Minutelli?" Most people are here to discuss current Reds baseball and don't care to be bothered with that thread coming up when it pages through. It's OK I suppose. There are people who may want to discuss that, so to each his own. I just don't want to be inundated with it. I don't particularly want to discuss the history of even the greatest players all that much. If the thread was comparing Joe Morgan to Eric Davis, I still wouldn't care about it at this point.

There are other subjects I'm not all that interested in but its fine if others want to discuss it. An example might be uniforms. I don't really care that much, but I know many people do, so please, people discuss it to your heart's content, but don't inundate me with it. Imagine if today some one posted a thread comparing the Socks of the 2019 Reds to those of 1971? Then tomorrow the same poster posted a new thread, how do you feel about the 1945 Reds caps and are they better or worse than the ones from 1968? Then the next day a thread about two long gone pant styles. The next day a thread about Jerseys. Then back to caps referencing different years this time. Because that's what you are doing with these obscure references all the time. If you want to discuss those obscure players every day, feel free IMO, but don't inundate the board with it. Be considerate of the other people who post here.

BTW, I've recognized every name you've thrown out there and I'm sure many others have too. So what?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

that was an excellent well composed thoughtful reply

I post these old time reds for entertainment given the saturnine abysmal, miasma that most of this decade has become, It is enjoyable to some, I recognize that others want to discuss the forty man roser of sioux fall,s or macon,, I dont harangue them,, but they harnague me the board is wide enough that each can thrive,, thanks

I dont harangue them,, but they harnague me
    This is patently false.

19. Likes:

Tom Servo (11-29-2019)

Nick Martini we hardly knew ye. Claimed off waivers by the Phillies (who in turn DFAed disgraced outfielder Oduel Herrera).
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

wow how exciting maybe the reds can reclaim stan swanson

Turn Off Ads?