0 0%
  • RHSP Antonio Santillan

2 3.70%
  • CF Mike Siani

0 0%
  • Other - Specify in Comments

0 0%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #4 Prospect???

Re: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #4 Prospect???

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I confess, I don't get the Acosta love for top 10 in this org (well...any org) right now. There's plenty to like based on his 2019 line, but it was done in an extremely small sample and put up primarily in the Dominican against kids two years younger than him (the rest against Dominican players in the AZL). In an equal sized sample in the same league the year prior he was terrible. I could see his batting line next year in RK ball being just as bad as I could see it being good. The one big thing going for the small bodied guy is speed, defensively speaking he's a terrible 3rdbaseman and will have to now show he can play regularly as a 2bman or possibly be moved to the outfield.

I probably wouldn't give him a top 30 vote yet, maybe 12 months from now.
    I'm under the impression Acosta's got good defensive tools, but he's inconsistent. Where he is in the system, I'd rather have the tools than the consistency. Normally I'd pump the brakes on him, but when we're talking about Richardson and Siani as top 10 prospects and they're both more question than answer, then Acosta's monster season has got to get consideration. I'd like to see the Reds be hyperaggressive in promoting him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm under the impression Acosta's got good defensive tools, but he's inconsistent. Where he is in the system, I'd rather have the tools than the consistency. Normally I'd pump the brakes on him, but when we're talking about Richardson and Siani as top 10 prospects and they're both more question than answer, then Acosta's monster season has got to get consideration. I'd like to see the Reds be hyperaggressive in promoting him.
    I don't know. Richardson had a K:BB Ratio of over 3 to 1 and a HR/9 of .8 in full season ball as a 19 year old. I'm actually fairly excited about him. I'm thinking about jumping him ahead of India and Santillan.
    Last edited by mth123; 12-01-2019 at 03:05 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

No way you can move Richardson past Santillan. He is being underrated by the board IMO. He’s still 22 years old and excelled as a 21 year-old in AA. His 2019 was disappointing but not a total disaster, and unless the scouting reports have diminished give me the guy who has excelled in the high minors at a young age recently...

5. Likes:

Mitri (12-01-2019),REDREAD (12-01-2019),Tom Servo (12-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't know. Richardson had a K:BB Ratio of over 3 to 1 and a HR/9 of .8 in full season ball as a 19 year old. I'm actually fairly excited about him. I'm thinking about jumping him ahead of India and Santillan.
    Richardson violates my first rule of MiLB pitching prospects: he's easy to hit. No cure for that if it persists.

Richardson violates my first rule of MiLB pitching prospects: he's easy to hit. No cure for that if it persists.
    A .341 BABiP and progression as the season rolled on augers well on that front as he continues.

I don't know if he's in my top 10, but he pitched better than his numbers might indicate, for the most part.

Not sure I put much stock in that in A Ball. At that level teams are experimenting with guys who have iffy gloves. Trying to get them to stick at positions that appear to be too much for them and playing them out of position. I don't think minor league BABIP numbers, especially in leagues that low on the food chain, is all that reliable unless the other peripherals suggest it is. He gave up less than a HR per 9 innings and struck out 8.5. per nine. That doesn't mesh with easy to hit. That team had a butcher in Juan Martinez at 3B most of the time and a DH (Jonathon Willems) and an Outfielder (Randy Ventura) getting most of the time at second. Until proven otherwise, I think it's just a BABIP outlier.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not sure I put much stock in that in A Ball. At that level teams are experimenting with guys who have iffy gloves. Trying to get them to stick at positions that appear to be too much for them and playing them out of position. I don't think minor league BABIP numbers, especially in leagues that low on the food chain, is all that reliable unless the other peripherals suggest it is. He gave up less than a HR per 9 innings and struck out 8.5. per nine. That doesn't mesh with easy to hit. That team had a butcher in Juan Martinez at 3B most of the time and a DH (Jonathon Willems) and an Outfielder (Randy Ventura) getting most of the time at second. Until proven otherwise, I think it's just a BABIP outlier.
    He was also young for his circuit. There's potential extenuating circumstances. It's also possible he's too easy to hit. He's heading to the FSL, where we'll get to find out just how sparkly his numbers can be. Yet I only like a sliver of pitching prospects and Richardson isn't one yet.

Turn Off Ads?