0 0%
  • RHSP Antonio Santillan

2 3.70%
  • CF Mike Siani

0 0%
  • Other - Specify in Comments

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #4 Prospect???

2019-2020: Who is the Reds #4 Prospect???

C Tyler Stephenson convincingly took the #3 slot.

This next poll will only last 72 hours.

Please, discuss why you are voting for who you are voting for.....this is a slow time of the year so it's more than welcomed.

***If you are voting other, please make sure to tell me who the other vote is for in the comment section.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #4 Prospect???

Went with Garcia. I think he has a higher upside than India.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I went with India due to pedigree and performance at a higher level. But Garcia is very close.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I dont get the pedigree argument for India over Garcia....Garcia was an IFA who got 5. Mill, equivalent to a 1st round pick. Both have had ups and downs but only Garcia put up a full season of solid numbers - India has been very uneven so far....not bad but certainly not consistent. Add in that Garcia plays SS and should stick there and he gets the edge over India, imo. I like both, though, and wouldn't have a gripe whichever order they are voted.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Garcia based on position mostly. He and India seem very close. Fairchild is a sneaky candidate as well.

I don't like these guys as potential number ones, but they fit very well in the part of the rankings. If Greene comes back strong as that top end prospect that seems lacking, the system won't seem so bad with these guys in the middle of the top 10.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I went with Fairchild. His ability to hit the ground running in AA impressed me greatly. He's the biggest prospect mover for me up these lists since last year.

Jonathan India. Great pedigree. Has done well except power yet to emerge. It will.

García in High A ball was a nice surprise and will win here, but IMO India’s chances for major league success are still a bit higher. India’s the blue chip guy.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-29-2019 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I dont get the pedigree argument for India over Garcia....Garcia was an IFA who got 5. Mill, equivalent to a 1st round pick. Both have had ups and downs but only Garcia put up a full season of solid numbers - India has been very uneven so far....not bad but certainly not consistent. Add in that Garcia plays SS and should stick there and he gets the edge over India, imo. I like both, though, and wouldn't have a gripe whichever order they are voted.
    García got a deal worthy of a first round pick, as you say. India was a top 5 overall pick who had an outstanding final season against top college competition. He was SEC player of the Year. He was a Baseball America all American.

That’s the pedigree argument.

Garcia playing at A+ hit .779, 12 OPS points higher than India overall for the season. India advanced to AA and hit .792 there in 111 at bats.

You note that India’s play has been uneven. But it’s Garcia who hit .634 OPS in 2018 while India hit .814 that season in the minors.

I’d go with India at 4 and Garcia at 5.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-29-2019 at 09:42 AM.

Jose Garcia's 131 wRC+ is tied for 17th among all A+ hitters and ranked 5th in the Florida State League.

Among SS, he's in the top handful of the best offensive prospects in High A.

Defensively, he's a near-lock to stick at the position. 2080 graded his defense thusly two years ago:

His standout tools feature at shortstop where he made plays in the hole and up the middle with steady feet, a solid game clock, and hard, accurate throws. He grades as a FV 60 glove and 60 arm at SS (and I wouldn’t scoff if you put a 70 on the latter).
    His 37 doubles presage more power, perhaps a lot more.

I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up a multiple-time All-Star with 25+ HR seasons and near Gold Glove level defense. His most likely outcome is anywhere from an above average, first division SS (think Jean Segura, Paul DeJong) to a defensive caddy with pop (Steven Drew).

That floor is pretty high, and the upside is big-time.

Most prospect experts are sleeping on him right now, due to league and BB ratios. (That problematic BB ratio is real, but he jumped two percentage points this year and should continue to learn how to take a walk from analytics-minded coaches in AA.) He also struggled a great deal in Dayton, so there's some skepticism there. He'll rank somewhere around 100 - 120 this year, but could see that jump with another big season.

I'm a believer.

11. Likes:

M2 (11-29-2019),Old school 1983 (11-29-2019),Tom Servo (11-29-2019)

Curious as to why Hannah is even listed, unless someone voted for him. Is it because he replaced Trammell? I don't recall him being a top A's prospect.
    Seems a little out of character, even for RZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    Curious as to why Hannah is even listed, unless someone voted for him. Is it because he replaced Trammell? I don't recall him being a top A's prospect.
    Seems a little out of character, even for RZ.
    BA tabbed him in their Top 10 Red prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    BA tabbed him in their Top 10 Red prospects.
    Ok, but I'm not buying what they are selling. I admit I don't know much about the kid,, since he is a newbie to the organization, but having never heard of him, prior to the trade, and his not wowing us when he got here. I don't see top 10.

15. Likes:

M2 (11-29-2019),RedlegJake (11-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    García got a deal worthy of a first round pick, as you say. India was a top 5 overall pick who had an outstanding final season against top college competition. He was SEC player of the Year. He was a Baseball America all American.

That’s the pedigree argument.

Garcia playing at A+ hit .779, 12 OPS points higher than India overall for the season. India advanced to AA and hit .792 there in 111 at bats.

You note that India’s play has been uneven. But it’s Garcia who hit .634 OPS in 2018 while India hit .814 that season in the minors.

I’d go with India at 4 and Garcia at 5.
    If you factor in context those 2018 numbers don’t really paint the kind of picture you want it to.

India’s .814 OPS was heavily influenced by him tearing up rookie ball Greenville. Once he was called up to Dayton he didn’t hit very well (.724 OPS) and was basically age neutral for the level (it is somewhat alarming he didn’t tear up the Midwest league as a batter that was considered the top college bat in the draft). Garcia on the other hand spent all of 2018 in Dayton as a 2 year old (1.5 years younger than average age). He then in 2019 was one of the best power hitters in A+. India’s OPS has been dependent on OBP, which is fine at the major league level, but taking a walk against a bunch of dudes who will be insurance salesmen and truck drivers in a year or two? Meh. I prefer the power showing at that level, especially in Florida which notoriously kills power numbers. Garcia hit 37!! Doubles last year as a 21 year old at A+. That’s a ton.

At this point Garcia is clearly above India IMO
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    Ok, but I'm not buying what they are selling. I admit I don't know much about the kid,, since he is a newbie to the organization, but having never heard of him, prior to the trade, and his not wowing us when he got here. I don't see top 10.
    Well, you definitely know more about Hannah then Baseball America
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Well, you definitely know more about Hannah then Baseball America
    Look smartass, nobody said that.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (11-29-2019),Sea Ray (11-29-2019)

Turn Off Ads?