0 0%
  • RHSP Antonio Santillan

4 6.25%
  • CF Mike Siani

2 3.13%
  • Other - Specify in Comments

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #5 Prospect???

2019-2020: Who is the Reds #5 Prospect???

Promising SS Jose Garcia has taken the #4 slot.

Please, discuss why you are voting for who you are voting for.....this is a slow time of the year so it's more than welcomed.

***If you are voting other, please make sure to tell me who the other vote is for in the comment section.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #5 Prospect???

Stuart Fairchild here. He had a strong showing at AA with a .824 OPS and can play CF. He doesn't have the pedigree of the others, but I'll take performance at AA and the ability to play defense over the others.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

DocRed (12-02-2019)

India, though Fairchild is gaining.

6. Likes:

BillDoran (12-02-2019),Bourgeois Zee (12-02-2019),HokieRed (12-02-2019),M2 (12-02-2019),REDREAD (12-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    India, though Fairchild is gaining.
    Agreed. Think India is the winner here over Fairchild, but both represent post-hype sleepers. Nobody is tagging either to be a star at this point, but both had excellent AA performances last year: India posted a 138 wRC+ in 134 PA, and Fairchild a 142 wRC+ in 179 PA.

This is likely too generous and optimistic take, but there is definitely a kind of prospect that performs better against higher-level pitching. A lot of pitchers are still trying to figure it out in the lower minors, and I imagine that might make a consistent plate approach a difficult proposition.

I like both a lot as prospects. They offer some real defensive value, and though, at this point, they likely profile as bottom-of-the-roster guys on a playoff team, there's still real breakout potential for both.

India is my choice largely due to his SEC performance two years ago and his adequacy so far in his professional career.

I worry about his BA, but like the power potential and patience.

I'd really like it if he could settle on a defensive position that's higher up the defensive spectrum, but it is what it is. If he's a 3B (and it looks like that's what he's going to be), he'll need to hit like mad to be anything other than a second-division starter.

I voted Siani, mostly because I'm not enamored with anybody else.

Siani has been 2 years younger than the league, put up nice walk rates and BB/SO rates, has excellent speed, hits LH (without dramatic splits) and plays CF.

I'd love to see his power take a leap in 2020.

10. Likes:

DocRed (12-02-2019),REDREAD (12-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    I voted Siani, mostly because I'm not enamored with anybody else.

Siani has been 2 years younger than the league, put up nice walk rates and BB/SO rates, has excellent speed, hits LH (without dramatic splits) and plays CF.

I'd love to see his power take a leap in 2020.
    Siani is Fairchild if he takes a leap and fills out.

I like Siani's speed and CF defense. I think he'll end up a relatively long-time major leaguer, most likely as a defensive caddy/ PR.

But he's not in Fairchild's league, IMO.

Mike Siani. His speed and defense alone will get him to the big leagues assuming his hit tool doesn't fall below average

I voted for India.

However, I am happy that we have both Siani and Fairchild in the system.
    The farm system has done a poor job of producing players athletic enough to play CF in recent history and good enough to play in the big leagues -- other than Stubbs and Hamilton. (I say this , not to praise those two guys, but IMO, they were successful products of the farm system, even if they did not live up to our "best case scenario dreams, they were useful to have).

IMO, Phil Ervin is a pretty decent athlete, but that does not seem to translate to playing CF well.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I voted India, but the Moustakas signing probably means India will not be playing major league baseball for the Reds. They don't have a position for him, at least for the next four years. The big question with him becomes when can he attain maximum shininess for his inevitable trade?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I voted India, but the Moustakas signing probably means India will not be playing major league baseball for the Reds. They don't have a position for him, at least for the next four years. The big question with him becomes when can he attain maximum shininess for his inevitable trade?
    They could try him at SS again.

India at AAA SS might be an interesting guy.

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-02-2019),M2 (12-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    They could try him at SS again.

India at AAA SS might be an interesting guy.
    Response #1 - I kind of doubt that's the optimal way to goose his value.

Response #2 - I appreciate the deviltry, even without the devil smiley.

Response #3 (and this is the correct response): And displace Alfredo Rodriguez? Perish the thought.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

Can ypu see Suarez to LF with either Moustakas or India to 3d?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Can ypu see Suarez to LF with either Moustakas or India to 3d?
    I can't see it without copious amounts of ayahuasca.

20. Likes:

HokieRed (12-03-2019)

Went with India here, next Fairchild, after that Santillan. Then it gets interesting.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Turn Off Ads?