Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I think Moustakas would be good FA target

I think Moustakas would be good FA target

I think Mike Moustakas makes a sensible FA acquisition target for Reds. He has a mutual option that most people expect him to decline. As I understand it, if he declines the option, Brewers still have to pay him $3 million. If I read that wrong please let me know.

He (and Boras) have made some bad moves in regards to contracts the last couple years. He got only a 1 year deal for $7 million this year. He just turned 31 in September and hit 38 homers with .254 average, .329 OBP and .845 OPS. Those are career best numbers so he might fall back a bit. But I wouldn't expect a big decline.

He plays 2b, and 3b. I assume he could easily slide over to 1b. (He's played 4 games there). We have questions about 2b for next year (Galvis, Dietrich , Gennett, VanMeter, Senzel, etc), and no clear minor league answer (India). Moustakas would solidly answer that question while providing the offense with much more power.

At age 31 he probably has 3 more productive seasons before he hits "the wall". I suspect we could get him for 3 years, 45 million. 15 per season. And should a 2nd base youngster (VanMeter, India, etc.) spring up, Moose would be a good candidate to replace Votto should his decline continue).

That's the kind of candidate we should be going after. Heck maybe 3 years, $30 mill would get it done.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (12-02-2019),DocRed (10-08-2019),Gallen5862 (12-02-2019),Old school 1983 (10-08-2019),REDREAD (10-09-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I think Moustakas would be good FA target

He's an intriguing target that I've thought about. I doubt he will exercise his side of the mutual $11M option. He's only 30 but then again he will probably be looking for a multi year contract at that age. Not sure what it would take but I don't think 3 for $30million would do it, minimum $35M IMO.

This article speculates $12M for 2-3 years. I would give him that easily and maybe more....$40M?

https://reviewingthebrew.com/2019/09...ack-moustakas/

Couple other things, if you plug him in at 2B (where his metrics are at a least league average) it allows you "settle' for either Iglesias or Galvis at SS where the FA market is ultra thin. His contract also wouldn't prohibit you from going after Grandal or Chirinos or another OF upgrade. This is the type of player upgrade that won't break the bank that Williams has talked about targeting.
    Last edited by DocRed; 10-08-2019 at 07:47 PM.

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-08-2019),REDREAD (10-09-2019)

Something else to keep in mind is that Moustakas's future may very well be tied to Travis Shaw and the Brewers may very well DFA Travis Shaw who struggled mightily this past year but is a 4 WAR guy for the previous 2 years before 2019. If they DFA him and decide to resign Moustakas I would be all over Shaw and offer him a minor league contract similar to Iglesias/Dietrich this past year.

7. Likes:

757690 (10-09-2019),REDREAD (10-09-2019),Redsfan6272 (10-09-2019)

Are there a ton of “this guy suddenly forgot how to play baseball” type of seasons where the guy ended up producing again? If so, the Brewers would keep him; if not, the Reds wouldn’t want him.

Quote Originally Posted by bradmanuel View Post
    Are there a ton of “this guy suddenly forgot how to play baseball” type of seasons where the guy ended up producing again? If so, the Brewers would keep him; if not, the Reds wouldn’t want him.
    Plenty. Ask Yankee fans about Sonny Gray. I'm sure their experience isn't as great as what the Reds received last year.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

10. Likes:

bm1475 (10-09-2019)

Kind of depends on what happens with Senzel. If he's moving to 2B, then they're spending their money elsewhere.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

GAC (10-10-2019)

Although "forgetting how to play" has nothing to do with Moustakas, he's producing.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 10-09-2019 at 12:35 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Although "forgetting how to play" has nothing to do with Moustakas, he's producing.
    Sorry, I was referencing Shaw with that comment.

15. Likes:

JaxRed (10-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Kind of depends on what happens with Senzel. If he's moving to 2B, then they're spending their money elsewhere.
    If they could get Moustakas reasonably priced for 3 years, the Reds should do that.
    Senzel then becomes prime trade bait to fill another hole.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I don't understand the logic of going out and spending serious salary (it adds up quickly) to replace our mediocre players with only slightly better ones. Paying market rate to upgrade 1ish WAR at a time runs us out of money and/or positions where we can ugprade before it gets us near the playoffs.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

18. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (10-09-2019),Edd Roush (10-09-2019),RiverRat13 (10-09-2019),Ron Madden (10-10-2019),Roy Tucker (10-09-2019),westofyou (10-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't understand the logic of going out and spending serious salary (it adds up quickly) to replace our mediocre players with only slightly better ones. Paying market rate to upgrade 1ish WAR at a time runs us out of money and/or positions where we can ugprade before it gets us near the playoffs.
    1. Moustakas would right now replace Van Meter at second. That’s over a 2 fWAR improvement.

2. The Reds hace over $30M to spend this offseason. They can afford to pay retail prices for small upgrades.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

20. Likes:

REDREAD (10-09-2019)

Last year WAR:
    Mike Moustakas 3.2
    Senzel 0.6

That's a pretty big upgrade.
    Yes, Moustakas is a year older and might decline.
    Yes, Senzel was hurt last year which cut into his playing time, but the problem is that injury probably displaces him from the OF and no guarantee Senzel gets dramatically better next year (I expect some improvement, but how much?)

The Reds also do not have a lot of trade bait.. Moustakas frees up Senzel to trade (perhaps for a real CF?) , and that trade potentially adds about another 2 WAR.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

22. Likes:

malcontent (10-12-2019)

Isn't Moustakas a terrible second baseman?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Isn't Moustakas a terrible second baseman?
    I seemed to think he was just fine there but was moved off for the arrival of Hiura combined with Shaw manning third and hitting terrible. But I could be wrong, didn't see a lot of him at 2B.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    If they could get Moustakas reasonably priced for 3 years, the Reds should do that.
    Senzel then becomes prime trade bait to fill another hole.
    Selling low on Senzel seems like an absolutely insane idea.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

26. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-09-2019),NC Reds (10-09-2019),Number_Fourteen (10-10-2019),Redeyecat (10-11-2019),Wonderful Monds (10-10-2019),WVRedsFan (10-09-2019)

Turn Off Ads?