Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Francisco Lindor

Re: Francisco Lindor

Quote Originally Posted by Tribe Guy View Post
    The Indians have been a constant contender for a small market team. That credit goes to Chris Antonetti and the Indians organization. Other teams have been hiring people from the Indians. Minnesota's GM and the Yankee new pitching coach came from the Indians organization. The Indians are a team that many organizations are trying to model. They do not do their business in the media. I trust that they will make the best decision this offseason on Lindor.

As far as the Bauer trade, they did very well. Besides getting the rental Puig, they received 5 years of a power hitter in Reyes that they needed. They also got a good lefty pitching prospect in Logan Allen as well as Scott Moss from the Reds and a lotto ticket prospect. Moss looks to be the type of pitcher that the Indians have had good luck with (Bieber, Civale, Plesac). I think that the Indians easily won the trade between the three teams.
    You can believe they won the Bauer trade and for all I know, they did. That’s not really the point though. The point is that they could have gotten *more* had they dealt one of Bauer or Kluber before the 2019 season.

With Kluber, especially. They refused to budge on their price (by your own words) before the 2019 season, and what happens? Well, he starts the season off pretty crummy by giving up more hits than innings pitched and a bunch of walks en route to a 1.654 WHIP and a 5.80 ERA before suffering his (obviously very unfortunate) season ending injury on May 1st.

D’oh!

Maybe they should have dealt him before 2019, coming off a 20-win, sub-3 ERA season where he still had 3 years of control remaining. Now, they’re going to have to convince a team that there won’t be any lingering effects from his injury, for starters. That’s on top of the fact that he’s a year older (let’s remember, he’s no spring chicken) and has one less year of control remaining.

As for Bauer, his value was at its absolute zenith prior to the 2019 season. A guy who had never posted a sub-4 ERA season suddenly threw the ball to the tune of a 2.21 ERA and a ton of strikeouts. He even got Cy Young votes. So I’m pretty confident that they might have gotten more for him that offseason, even if the Indians did win the deadline trade overall.

They face an eerily similar situation with Lindor. You could be right and they’ll refuse to budge from an astronomically high asking price, but for their sake (and for Lindor’s sake), all parties involved better hope they don’t see a repeat of the Kluber situation.
    Last edited by The Operator; 12-07-2019 at 06:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    "[Price] said he and the GM have become “somewhat in lockstep” with how they view the best way forward for the team, including how to handle promotions and playing young players while also trying to win games."

2. Likes:

M2 (12-10-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

We all missed this...

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...025589760?s=19

Hear Indians prefer not to deal Francisco Lindor, to wait a year on a trade. Which really isn’t surprising. Interest has to be huge, however.
    Could just be a negotiating tactic.
    Gratitude + Forgiveness = Happiness

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    We all missed this...

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...025589760?s=19

Could just be a negotiating tactic.
    Which again means they won't move on him unless they get more than a dh and a so-so 2b prospect from the Reds.

It makes far more sense to add a few pieces around him the next two years and go for it then settle for mediocrity and deal two years early.

Regarding Kluber and Bauer, it is hard to say what offers they turned down. Bauer was always a #3 pitcher outside of 2018 and, as I predicted here last winter, based on Kluber's velocity drop the summer prior, Kluber may be hard pressed to put up ace like numbers going forward. I am sure I was not the only one who saw that in spite of all the trade talk on the web. It is is hard to say it was a mistake not to deal either then.

Lindor on the other hand is in his peak. There is little downside potential to keeping him but much upside. This is not Baltimore where it made no sense in keeping their star player as there was no chance to compete.

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-10-2019)

Turn Off Ads?