Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Free Agency Plan

New Free Agency Plan

Reds have signed Moose and lost out on Wheeler. What do you do next?

I think I'd try to take the money they had allocated towards Wheeler and go after a Castellanos and Keuchel package. Castellanos would help elevate the offense and make them a legit force in the NL. He had over 1.000 OPS after moving to the NL last year (.863 for the entire season).

Keuchel is not what he used to be, but he is a lefty and would provide a lot of solid innings. He's still only entering his age 32 season but it feels like he's been around longer than that. I like that he induces ground balls. He still had an ERA+ of 121 with the Braves last year. I'd trust DJ and Boddy to milk as much out of him as they could.

I'd shoot for a four year pact with Castellanos and two years for Keuchel.

Castellanos: 4 years/$72 million
    Keuchel: 2 years/$31 million

That would be pretty close to the total amount of money targeted for Wheeler. However, it would really increase the AAV for the next two years. But, it doesn't lock them into anything over four years, and I do like that flexibility moving forward.

2. Likes:

jwbennett1977 (12-05-2019),REDREAD (12-04-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New Free Agency Plan

More bats. One hitter isn't gonna turn this offense around. Didi, Castellanos, Ozuna, Avisail, Chirinos, Akiyama, Tsutsugo, Dickerson, Calhoun. Give me 2 from that list.

I’m on the Kuechel train if he can be had at a reasonable price, but I don’t think I’d target Castellanos. I would prefer Gregorius, Ozuna, and others to Castellanos if another position player signing is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    More bats. One hitter isn't gonna turn this offense around. Didi, Castellanos, Ozuna, Avisail, Chirinos, Akiyama, Tsutsugo, Dickerson, Calhoun. Give me 2 from that list.
    I'm not sure I'd sign any additional bats if they could add Castellanos. But, I could definitely see a trade (preferably for a SS or C).

One of the LHP starters would be a good avenue to pursue. Bumgarner, Kuechel, and Ryu.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-04-2019),RED VAN HOT (12-04-2019),Redsfan6272 (12-04-2019),Revering4Blue (12-04-2019),Rojo Rijo (12-04-2019)

For me I would look at this:

Bats:
    1) marcel Ozuna
    2) avaisal Garcia
    -give me one of them

Arms:
    1) gio gonzalez
    -lhsp slides into 5 spot moving Mahle to pen

Pen:
    1) Steve Cishek rhp
    2) Ryan buchter-lhp

10. Likes:

REDREAD (12-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    One of the LHP starters would be a good avenue to pursue. Bumgarner, Kuechel, and Ryu.
    I'll take door number 3.

12. Likes:

Redeyecat (12-04-2019)

Mark me down for going after Didi, exploring trades for a CF, and getting more arms for the bullpen.

14. Likes:

mth123 (12-04-2019),Number_Fourteen (12-05-2019)

Castellanos
    Bumgarner
    Betances
    Stammen

Reds need another SS, a LH starter, and a LH reliever. I'd go Didi, Keuchel, and Buchter. That would round out the club nicely. Adding a LH bat in Didi would provide good power against RHP. Moose, Didi, Votto (who should be helped by a better supporting cast),

It seems to me that many on RZ are discounting Aquino, who is also a good defender, after a poor September. They favor adding an Ozuna or Castellanos for RH power. I hope they do not sign either one. Power from the right side would still be Suarez, Aquino, and Senzel (also seemingly out of favor in RZ, but capable of 20 HR's).

Galvis would become a swing man who gets a lot of playing time at SS, defensive replacement at 2B, and starting at 2B when either Moose or Suarez needs a day off.

It is still a concern that the Reds are not well suited to manufacturing runs, important in one run games. Senzel has shown an ability to run as has Jankowski. I'd like to see the Reds run more and put pressure on the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Reds need another SS, a LH starter, and a LH reliever. I'd go Didi, Keuchel, and Buchter. That would round out the club nicely. Adding a LH bat in Didi would provide good power against RHP. Moose, Didi, Votto (who should be helped by a better supporting cast),

It seems to me that many on RZ are discounting Aquino, who is also a good defender, after a poor September. They favor adding an Ozuna or Castellanos for RH power. I hope they do not sign either one. Power from the right side would still be Suarez, Aquino, and Senzel (also seemingly out of favor in RZ, but capable of 20 HR's).

Galvis would become a swing man who gets a lot of playing time at SS, defensive replacement at 2B, and starting at 2B when either Moose or Suarez needs a day off.

It is still a concern that the Reds are not well suited to manufacturing runs, important in one run games. Senzel has shown an ability to run as has Jankowski. I'd like to see the Reds run more and put pressure on the defense.
    Just because someone wants Castellanos doesn't mean they are discounting Aquino

18. Likes:

DocRed (12-04-2019),redsman2007 (12-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Bumgarner has been miserable on the road the past two years. I think he'd get lit up in GABP. I'll take Kuechel or Ryu though. Chances are if the Reds were willing to go to 100 million for Wheeler we could land one of those two plus one more FA bat.

If I were Reds my next move might be a trade for Starling Marte.

I’d offer Winker, India, and Santillan, give or take. Good package for Marte.

The more I read about Ozuna and Castellanos, the less I want to spend big on them. Castellanos is a major hitter, concerned about his D. Would also like someone who can add some speed to Reds’ slow lineup.

Marte in CF and Senzel to LF would be good by me. If not Marte, then maybe Tommy Pham? Pham played LF last year but stole 25 bases.

On pitching, Keuchel and Reds couldn’t agree last off-season. Do Reds want to offer big dollars for MadBum? I’d like to see them add some pitching in free agency, not exactly sure who, don’t see clear cut candidates.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-04-2019 at 07:21 PM.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (12-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Just because someone wants Castellanos doesn't mean they are discounting Aquino
    it kind of does? Are you moving one to LF?

23. Likes:

Redeyecat (12-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    it kind of does? Are you moving one to LF?
    Castellanos would have to move to LF to not be a defensive liability IMO.

Turn Off Ads?