Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Make Your Selections (no more than 10)

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bobby Abreu

8 8.51%
  • Josh Beckett

1 1.06%
  • Heath Bell

0 0%
  • Barry Bonds

61 64.89%
  • Eric Chavez

1 1.06%
  • Roger Clemens

60 63.83%
  • Adam Dunn

10 10.64%
  • Chone Figgins

0 0%
  • Rafael Furcal

0 0%
  • Jason Giambi

2 2.13%
  • Todd Helton

37 39.36%
  • Raul Ibanez

0 0%
  • Derek Jeter

85 90.43%
  • Andruw Jones

25 26.60%
  • Jeff Kent

19 20.21%
  • Paul Konerko

8 8.51%
  • Cliff Lee

5 5.32%
  • Carlos Pena

0 0%
  • Brad Penny

0 0%
  • Andy Pettitte

27 28.72%
  • J.J. Putz

0 0%
  • Manny Ramirez

54 57.45%
  • Brian Roberts

0 0%
  • Scott Rolen

50 53.19%
  • Curt Schilling

54 57.45%
  • Gary Sheffield

27 28.72%
  • Alfonso Soriano

2 2.13%
  • Sammy Sosa

26 27.66%
  • Jose Valverde

0 0%
  • Omar Vizquel

19 20.21%
  • Billy Wagner

22 23.40%
  • Larry Walker

68 72.34%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: RedsZone's 2020 BBWAA HOF Ballot Vote

Re: RedsZone's 2020 BBWAA HOF Ballot Vote

By the way, I'm going off on a tangent, but MLB is the worst at promoting its sport. THE WORST.

Opening Day used to start on a Sunday night/Monday. Who the hell wants to watch baseball on Work days/nights? It's better on Thursday, but why not start it on a Friday or Saturday? The rollout to the season is just awful.

And now they want to announce their HOF members on the day after the Super Bowl matchup is set? Why not do what the NFL does and announce these guys during the playoffs? How hard would that be to do? Promote the hell out of it when it's the most exciting part of the calendar for you?

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-24-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Later today the BBWAA will announce the results of it's 2020 Hall of Fame balloting.

Here at RedsZone we had 94 voters put in their two cents regarding who should be inducted (an additional 60 members dropped in to see the poll but chose not too take the poll - their loss).
    The consensus amongst the 94 voters is that Jeter is going to get in on his first attempt and he'll be the only inductee this summer.

As I did last season, I'm going to attempt to predict the outcome that will be announced later today.
    I think the voters are going to vote something like this....

Jeter - near 100%
    Walker - 75% (in his 10th and final year of eligibility I predict Walker gets in but it's going to be super freaking nail-biting close, if he doesn't get in the Vets Committee will certainly select him in the near future)
    Schilling - 70% (he'll have 2 more chances and next year's class is headed by Mark Buehrle, Tim Hudson, and Torii Hunter so 12 months from now he may finally hear his name called)
    Bonds - 62% (he'll have 2 more shots, but unless something changes he isn't getting in next year either)
    Clemens - 62% (same as Bonds, 2 more shots and next year is unlikely as well IMHO)
    Vizquel - 50% (in only his 3rd attempt I see him crossing the 50% threshold)
    Rolen - 42% (Likely the biggest winner of 5 people dropping off last season's ballot - I predict Rolen more than doubles his total from last season)
    Wagner - 33% (he's seen only modest boosts the past 3 seasons but I think he gets a big one this year due to 'Mo' no longer being on the ballot with him)
    Kent - 28% (at some point his numbers have to climb, right?)
    Sheffield - 27% (the people voting for Bonds/Clemens have to include him too now that EMart, Mo, Roy, Moose, and McGriff are off the ballot, don't they?)
    Helton - 27% (My least secure prediction - I could see this bump being a lot bigger like I'm predicting for Rolen)
    Ramirez - 25% (similar to Sheff, but ManRam did test positive 2x which will dissuade some of the voters that are more inclined to vote for Bonds/Clemens)
    Jones - 19% (like Rolen, I see a big jump here - picking up a lot of the EMart votes from last year)
    Sosa - 12% (he'll get 2 more shots at it and then join McGwire praying for a Vets Committee to select him at some point in the future)
    Pettitte - 10% (similar to ManRam, Andy admitted to using HGH so that dissuades many of the voters from selecting him - Moose being off the ballot could help though)
    Abreu - 6% (the only 1st time player other than Jeter to get the minimum 5% to be on next year's ballot)
    Everyone Else - Below 5%
    Last edited by Kinsm; 01-21-2020 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    By the way, I'm going off on a tangent, but MLB is the worst at promoting its sport. THE WORST.

Opening Day used to start on a Sunday night/Monday. Who the hell wants to watch baseball on Work days/nights? It's better on Thursday, but why not start it on a Friday or Saturday? The rollout to the season is just awful.

And now they want to announce their HOF members on the day after the Super Bowl matchup is set? Why not do what the NFL does and announce these guys during the playoffs? How hard would that be to do? Promote the hell out of it when it's the most exciting part of the calendar for you?
    Good points. The NFL definitely does a better job of promoting itself than MLB does.
    I don't favor lowering the standards for Cooperstown, but imagine if MLB's HOF operated like the NFL HOF in Canton. This year the NFL will induct 15 new members, almost all of whom are still alive. Baseball's HOF classes are never nearly that large. One recent year, I think it was 2013, the HOF class only had three members, all selected by the Veterans Committee, and all long dead.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-24-2020),savafan (01-21-2020)

And the official HOF vote tally is....

Derek Jeter: 396 votes (99.7 percent) -- 1st year on ballot

Larry Walker: 304 (76.6) -- 10th

Curt Schilling: 278 (70.0) -- 8th

Roger Clemens: 242 (61.0) -- 8th

Barry Bonds: 241 (60.7) -- 8th

Omar Vizquel: 209 (52.6) -- 3rd

Scott Rolen: 140 (35.3) -- 3rd

Billy Wagner: 126 (31.7) -- 5th

Gary Sheffield: 121 (30.5) -- 6th

Todd Helton: 116 (29.2) -- 2nd

Manny Ramírez: 112 (28.2) -- 4th

Jeff Kent: 109 (27.5) -- 7th

Andruw Jones: 77 (19.4) -- 3rd

Sammy Sosa: 55 (13.9) -- 8th

Andy Pettitte: 45 (11.3) -- 2nd

Bobby Abreu: 22 (5.5) -- 1st

---(Players receiving less than 5% will drop off future ballots)

Paul Konerko: 10 (2.5) -- 1st

Jason Giambi: 6 (1.5) -- 1st

Alfonso Soriano: 6 (1.5) -- 1st

Eric Chávez: 2 (0.5) -- 1st

Cliff Lee: 2 (0.5) -- 1st

Adam Dunn: 1 (0.3) -- 1st

Brad Penny: 1 (0.3) -- 1st

Raúl Ibañez: 1 (0.3) -- 1st

J.J. Putz: 1 (0.3) -- 1st

Josh Beckett: 0 -- 1st

Heath Bell: 0 -- 1st

Chone Figgins: 0 -- 1st

Rafael Furcal: 0 -- 1st

Carlos Peña: 0 -- 1st

Brian Roberts: 0 -- 1st

José Valverde: 0 -- 1st

Schilling needs to pick up about 20 votes in the next 12 months, again the incoming class next year isn't exceptionally strong, so that should be doable - assuming he doesn't say anything too stupid on twitter.

Bonds and Clemens will need a lot of voters to second guess themselves over the next two seasons to get in, at this rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Schilling needs to pick up about 20 votes in the next 12 months, again the incoming class next year isn't exceptionally strong, so that should be doable - assuming he doesn't say anything too stupid on twitter.

Bonds and Clemens will need a lot of voters to second guess themselves over the next two seasons to get in, at this rate.
    Oh, he will. Almost guaranteed.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

Chip R (01-23-2020),Revering4Blue (01-24-2020),TRF (01-23-2020)

It is criminal, the disrespect Andruw Jones gets because of the tail end of his career.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-24-2020),texasdave (01-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    It is criminal, the disrespect Andruw Jones gets because of the tail end of his career.
    Agreed. Arguably the best defensive centerfielder of all time + 400 career home runs = HOF. He was better than Derek Jeter, and Jeter was a nearly-unanimous selection.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post

Adam Dunn: 1 (0.3) -- 1st
    I wonder which RZer voted for Adam Dunn?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I wonder which RZer voted for Adam Dunn?
    Wasn't me, but I will never forget the walk-off grand slam on 6/30/06. One of my favorite Reds memories ever.

17. Likes:

savafan (01-23-2020)

According to Tom Verducci, ballots tend to have 8 to 9 names on it

Throughout the 1990s and 2000s writers voted for an average of only five or six players. In 2014, that average jumped to 8.39, an all-time high since current voting regulations went into place in 1968.
    That's a problem. There aren't that many deserving candidates, particularly this year. I'd say that Larry Walker can thank that system for getting in

That's a problem. There aren't that many deserving candidates, particularly this year. I'd say that Larry Walker can thank that system for getting in
    I disagree with pretty much every word.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

20. Likes:

Kinsm (01-24-2020),Ron Madden (01-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I disagree with pretty much every word.
    That's not surprising. You voted for Bobby Abreu who got 5.5% of the sportswriter's vote. He's not even worth discussing as a Hall of Famer. If you think he's worthy of a vote this year then you're exhibit A to support my statement "there aren't that many deserving candidates, particularly this year."

That's not surprising. You voted for Bobby Abreu who got 5.5% of the sportswriter's vote. He's not even worth discussing as a Hall of Famer. If you think he's worthy of a vote this year then you're exhibit A to support my statement "there aren't that many deserving candidates, particularly this year."
    Not even worth discussing? Apparently you need to re-examine his stats. I’m not saying he is a sure thing but he is on the fence. Your statement on Abreu is more an indication that you sit in the past than it is that we are exhibit A of what’s wrong with current voters.

23. Likes:

Ron Madden (01-24-2020)

In a world where Jim Rice & Harold Baines are HOFers, Bobby Abreu 100% deserves consideration.

I understand it. But I think that for those of us who grew up with AVG/HR/RBI, we still intuitively fail to account for the importance OBP.

And just because it's interesting, Abreu is one of 14 guys in MLB history with a .390+ OBP and 400+ SB.

He's not a HOFer. But he's in that group of guys who had surprisingly productive careers.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

25. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-24-2020),Ron Madden (01-24-2020)

Turn Off Ads?