Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds interested in Bumgarner?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reds interested in Bumgarner?

Per Heyman:

Reds are among teams with interest in Madison Bumgarner. Manager David Bell was in #SFGiants front office. Braves, Twins, Angels, Padres, Yankees and Phillies are other logical possibilities. @Feinsand says deal could come soon.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Likes:

goreds2 (12-05-2019)

Re: Reds interested in Bumgarner?

Depends on money and years. I'm not sure he's a great fit at GABP, but he brings some experience and credibility. I think he has a higher floor and lower ceiling than Wheeler did, if that makes any sense.

4. Likes:

RedEye (12-05-2019),RedsfaninMT (12-05-2019)

uk That totally makes sense. I think Bumgarner is really durable (save when he gets reckless on his motorcycle) and would really solidify our rotation. Would be a helluva third/fourth starter, that's for sure. I wonder if he will get similar money to Wheeler. He also seems likely to sign before the meetings, so hold onto your butts...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

He's a guy I really worry about signing for long term. I'd overpay on a shorter 2-3 years deal, but I'm guessing that's not what he is looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    He's a guy I really worry about signing for long term. I'd overpay on a shorter 2-3 years deal, but I'm guessing that's not what he is looking for.
    By "long term" you mean 5 years, I suppose?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    By "long term" you mean 5 years, I suppose?
    Pretty much 4+.

I’m not. If I were to go after a soft tossing lefty, I’d want Ryu.

I just see nothing but continued declined for MB. There is no doubting his competitiveness and post season success, but I can’t belive his WAR at this stage is going to be on par with his contract. I’m afraid we might be buying into a name here...

10. Likes:

REDREAD (12-05-2019),Ron Madden (12-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    I’m not. If I were to go after a soft tossing lefty, I’d want Ryu.

I just see nothing but continued declined for MB. There is no doubting his competitiveness and post season success, but I can’t belive his WAR at this stage is going to be on par with his contract. I’m afraid we might be buying into a name here...
    I'm in agreement with this thinking except to say I'm unsure of how well Ryu might toss going forward. I'd have to figure he's still throwing very well, but who really knows? After last year's campaign however his price tag ain't gonna be cheap by any stretch of the most vivid imaginations. Two names recently floated around here, Price and Bumgardner seem to be on the backends of their careers just waiting to flame out, but I have been wrong about these things before.
    Last edited by allpurpose; 12-10-2019 at 06:01 AM.

Read reports last season that his velocity was back to pre-injury levels. If that's the case, I think he could be a decent signing if the money is right. He sure knows how to pitch and pitch in the postseason.

I really hope we don’t back up the truck for a past-his-prime MadBum.
    Go BLUE!!!

14. Likes:

REDREAD (12-05-2019),Tuff Nut (12-05-2019)

I'd rather go for Keuchel unless DJ and Boddy see signs of life in Bumgarner. If they like him, then I guess I would too. His recent decline and HR rate are concerning though.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (12-05-2019),Revering4Blue (12-05-2019),Ron Madden (12-05-2019),Tuff Nut (12-05-2019)

I think Dallas Keuchles ground ball tendencies would play a whole lot better at GABP than MadBums fly ball tendencies right now.

Don't know if the Reds or Keuchle are interested though.

18. Likes:

bagz (12-05-2019),klw (12-05-2019),M2 (12-05-2019),Revering4Blue (12-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I think Dallas Keuchles ground ball tendencies would play a whole lot better at GABP than MadBums fly ball tendencies right now.

Now that Wheeler is off the market this is the pitcher who's a good fit for the Reds. Dal Us Please.
    The Stop And Chat

20. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Dallas Keuchel the same guy the Reds could/should have signed last year, and didn't because the Reds didn't like something in his medical charts?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Dallas Keuchel the same guy the Reds could/should have signed last year, and didn't because the Reds didn't like something in his medical charts?
    I've heard that but haven't read anything official about it.

Didn't he seem pretty healthy for the Braves last season?

Turn Off Ads?