Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds interested in Bumgarner?

Re: Reds interested in Bumgarner?

The Reds should talk to both Keuchel and Bumgarner. Whoever bites on a 3 yr deal at a reasonable price, sign him

2. Turn Off Ads?

Give me a starting pitcher who is a good (great?) hitter. He pitches more innings, needing no pinch hitter, can himself pinch hit, and lengthens the bench.

4. Likes:

DocRed (12-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Josh Lindblom could be a relatively cheap option (FG estimates 2 years for ~$8M). Pitched quite well in the KBO the last 3 years (20-3 last year with a 2.50 ERA and 0.997 WHIP). The obvious comparison is Mikolas although he pitched in the slightly better NPB. Apparently he has several teams interested with offers. On the downside he would be 33 next year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=lindbl001jos
    Lindblom was the KBO top pitcher this year and pitched for the league champs Doosan Bears. I went to a couple of games in which he pitched and he was very consistent, showing good movement on his pitches. He maybe worth a look, similar to Eric Thames for the Brewers several years ago.

6. Likes:

757690 (12-05-2019),DocRed (12-05-2019),Edd Roush (12-05-2019),Griffey012 (12-06-2019),M2 (12-05-2019),NC Reds (12-06-2019),wally post (12-06-2019)

A long term deal for Wheeler worried me about injury risk

A long term deal for Bumgarner worries me about performance in a small ballpark

Hope they go another direction instead of 5 yrs and 6 figures.

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-06-2019),mth123 (12-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    A long term deal for Wheeler worried me about injury risk

A long term deal for Bumgarner worries me about performance in a small ballpark

Hope they go another direction instead of 5 yrs and 6 figures.
    Ryu

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-06-2019),Redeyecat (12-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Ryu
    Shaaaarooooooooken
    What would you say.....ya do here?

12. Likes:

Spanky (12-06-2019)

if the reds need to overpay free agent hitters to come to cincinnati and play in a bandbox, imagine how much they will have to overpay good free agent pitchers.

Haunted by walks

Just curious: Do the stats show any pitchers who have a fly ball tendency but not homers? Maybe they induce a lot of pop ups and cans of corn, but they aren’t hit hard enough for home runs?

Quote Originally Posted by Far East View Post
    Give me a starting pitcher who is a good (great?) hitter. He pitches more innings, needing no pinch hitter, can himself pinch hit, and lengthens the bench.
    Bumgarner has been awful at the plate the past two seasons striking out 60 times in 100 ab with an average south of .150. He's no Michael Lorenzen. The fact that there's a draft pick attached to Bumgarner has me even more confused why the Reds would think he's a good fit. Giving him huge contract plus loosing a draft pick would be a double whammy. Something in the 3/60 range might not be the end of the world, but neither Kuechel or Ryu comes with a draft pick loss.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Bumgarner has been awful at the plate the past two seasons striking out 60 times in 100 ab with an average south of .150. He's no Michael Lorenzen. The fact that there's a draft pick attached to Bumgarner has me even more confused why the Reds would think he's a good fit. Giving him huge contract plus loosing a draft pick would be a double whammy. Something in the 3/60 range might not be the end of the world, but neither Kuechel or Ryu comes with a draft pick loss.
    That may be true but he's still a plus hitter as a SP as evident by his 0.3WAR bump above his pitching WAR.

Maybe the Reds are planning to go hard after Ozuna and the draft pick loss won’t matter anyway?

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...date=&enddate=

He has been a good hitting pitcher. Simple as that.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

The Reds would lose their 3rd round pick. Third round selections rarely make the majors and have negligible impact if they do.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Bumgarner K'd 40 times in 63 AB last year. His bat should have no bearing on any contract offer he receives.

21. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-06-2019),REDREAD (12-06-2019)

Check out Bum's ERA on the road last season. Scares me.

Turn Off Ads?