0 0%
  • RHSP Antonio Santillan

19 35.85%
  • CF Mike Siani

2 3.77%
  • Other - Specify in Comments

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #6 Prospect???

2019-2020: Who is the Reds #6 Prospect???

Thirdbaseman Jonathan India has taken the #5 slot.

Please, discuss why you are voting for who you are voting for.....this is a slow time of the year so it's more than welcomed.

***If you are voting other, please make sure to tell me who the other vote is for in the comment section.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #6 Prospect???

With the 6th poll, we are officially out of the Top 100 overall Prospects discussion, as the first 5 will be in most Top 100 lists or at least be included within the honorable mention sections of those lists.

Be aware - this poll is only 72 hours.

4. Likes:

REDREAD (12-06-2019)

This year's voting seems consistent in who the majority of people are selecting for each spot. I like Hind's power potential, but went with Fairchild based on his season stats.

I think Fairchild has a bit more value but after this poll can we had Joel Kuhnel to the list? Thanks

Santillan is younger than Fairchild and has flashed a stronger peak. Fairchild has had just as many struggles as Santillan, Tony's just happen to be more recent. Give me Santillan...

8. Likes:

BillDoran (12-06-2019)

Siani.

20 years old and on the way to being an elite CF and base runner. If his hitting develops he'll be a top 20 prospect two years from now.

Fairchild here, Santillan next.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Fairchild then Santillan, then some thinking because several guys are grouped very tightly, imo, after Tony.

Ryan Hendrix please (and Kuhnel as noted above)
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

12. Likes:

Sea Ray (12-06-2019)

I chose Santillan over Fairchild, and the ceiling is the reason. Hard to argue with Fairchild's production, but I think he probably profiles as lower tier starter or fourth outfielder on a good squad. He does everything fairly well but nothing pops. Santillan has electric stuff but needs to learn to harness it. He's got the body of a durable starting pitcher if he can top up his control.

I think it's a pretty tight choice between the two. I've always liked Santillan, and I think, all things even (which they aren't), there's more value in a controllable starter than an outfielder. It is nice to see two second rounders finding their form though.

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-06-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Kinda depressing that these are the choices for #6. Our system has fallen on hard times.

Went with Fairchild.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (12-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Kinda depressing that these are the choices for #6. Our system has fallen on hard times.

Went with Fairchild.
    Why?

Both Fairchild and Santillan have excellent shots at being on mid-season Top 100 lists.

If Fairchild continues to OPS 800+ as a quality defensive CF, he could well move into the top 50 fairly easily (not to mention slot into Reds' plans sooner rather than later). He had a monster AFL and was among the most impressive players in the league.

Santillan, meanwhile, has already been a Top 100 guy and is young enough to ignore his 2019 as a blip on the radar. Should he rediscover his control while keeping his stuff, Santillan is a MOR starting prospect.

As a choice between six and seven?

That's more than solid.

(It's after those two, IMO, that the quality drops.)

As for my vote, I'm going with Santillan. His upside is higher than Fairchild's-- though, to be fair, Fairchild has already exceeded the upside I thought he had. A MOR guy in Johnson's system should be fun to watch and would go a long way to making this whole pitching focus perennial rather than getting lucky finding guys for a couple of years.

18. Likes:

BillDoran (12-06-2019),Edd Roush (12-06-2019),RedlegJake (12-06-2019)

Has anyone heard if Santillan is even healthy? His year ended in such strange fashion.

Lousy start.
    7-day IL.
    2 starts - one good, one not so good.
    7-day IL.
    3 starts - one good, two not so good.
    Shut down for the year.

His final 10 starts of the season. 44 IP, 54 H, 28 BB, 30 K. 6.95 ERA. 1.64 WHIP.
    First 11 starts of the season - 13% Swinging strike. Last 10 starts of the season - 9% Swinging strikes.
    First 11 starts - 3.24 ERA. Last 10 starts - 6.95 ERA.

He was put on the IL 3 times over the last month plus of the season.

I am reserving judgement on this one.
    Last edited by texasdave; 12-06-2019 at 11:54 AM.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (12-06-2019)

Close call but I got Santillan here.

I'm not as swayed as some by last season's stats for guys, either good or bad.

Santillan has always seemed to have more upside as a prospect than Fairchild.

So I'm sticking with Tony here. But very happy Fairchild is performing well, I'd have him as #7 with the young Lyon at #8.

22. Likes:

mace (12-06-2019)

I'd like to request Jose Acosta for the next poll. Merci.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Close call but I got Santillan here.

I'm not as swayed as some by last season's stats for guys, either good or bad.

Santillan has always seemed to have more upside as a prospect than Fairchild.

So I'm sticking with Tony here. But very happy Fairchild is performing well, I'd have him as #7 with the young Lyon at #8.
    My historical and ongoing issue with Santillan is I don't think his upside is all that high. Maybe he can be a functional SP. Any real upside he's got would seem to be in the pen.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?