Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Twins sign Alex Avila

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Twins sign Alex Avila

Catching market is pretty much exhausted at this point. Looking like the Reds are going to be sitting at home making a mixtape again. Barnhart/Casali again. Bummer.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Re: Twins sign Alex Avila

I think it was Yasmani or bust. Barnsali is fine, Reds have one of the worst outfields in the majors, and are dead-last in SS projections too.

3. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-06-2019),Edd Roush (12-06-2019),M2 (12-06-2019),REDREAD (12-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I think it was Yasmani or bust. Barnsali is fine, Reds have one of the worst outfields in the majors, and are dead-last in SS projections too.
    Exactly, the Reds were middle of the pack at catcher last season (6th in the NL in Wins Above Average). They were dogmeat in the OF (13th in WAA).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (12-10-2019)

Chirinios is the only FA upgrade available. I'm fine keeping our catchers as is and not upsetting our starting pitching. Wilson Contreras is probably a pipe dream for several reasons.

Say what you will about Barnhart, I’m at least not worried about him batting well under .200

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    Say what you will about Barnhart, I’m at least not worried about him batting well under .200
    Speak for yourself
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Avila wouldn't be an upgrade, probably slots as Garver's backup, no big deal here.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

10. Likes:

DocRed (12-06-2019),mth123 (12-06-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

We're pouting about losing Alex Avila now?
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

12. Likes:

CySeymour (12-06-2019),DocRed (12-06-2019),NebraskaRed (12-06-2019),Number_Fourteen (12-06-2019),Old school 1983 (12-06-2019),SoTxRedsFan (12-06-2019),Spider Tre (12-06-2019),Tuff Nut (12-06-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I want Willson Contreras.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Contreras or bust, at this point.

And Contreras is (extremely) unlikely.

Grandal was the only free agent catcher who moved the needle enough above Barnsali to do something.

I feel like Tucker will rebound this year. Maybe I'm an eternal optimist, but I feel like he hit half decent during the second half last year. He had a terrible start and some injuries. Maybe the hitting coach hampered him some also....who knows. All I am saying is, I feel like we've seen the worst Tucker has to offer, but maybe not the best. I know this isn't a super popular opinion, but he does some good things behind the plate and hopefully can rebound some on offense this season. If we go into 2020 with SS and or OF in better shape, I think we can live with Tucker.

16. Likes:

DocRed (12-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by ukredsfan View Post
    I feel like Tucker will rebound this year. Maybe I'm an eternal optimist, but I feel like he hit half decent during the second half last year. He had a terrible start and some injuries. Maybe the hitting coach hampered him some also....who knows. All I am saying is, I feel like we've seen the worst Tucker has to offer, but maybe not the best. I know this isn't a super popular opinion, but he does some good things behind the plate and hopefully can rebound some on offense this season. If we go into 2020 with SS and or OF in better shape, I think we can live with Tucker.
    Tucker did bounce back some in the second half last year.
    The thing that was endlessly frustrating with him was that he was maybe the worst hitting catcher in mlb while the entire rest of the team except Dietrich struggled for 2 and a half months.
    If we have 5-7 guys hitting around .200 in late May again this year I'll be inconsolable.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

My favorite part about this signing is that Avila's dad was outbid for him:

Jon Heyman

Verified account

@JonHeyman
    https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...45816157507584
    Tigers GM Al Avila was in the unusual position of being outbid for his own son. Twins got Alex for $4.25M. It’s not known what Detroit bid but it’s believed to have been a bit less. In any case, in his 12th season, Alex is surely looking to play for a contender.

19. Likes:

camisadelgolf (12-08-2019),DocRed (12-06-2019)

Turn Off Ads?