Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule 5 draft on Thurs

Rule 5 draft on Thurs

Doug has a nice article where he suggests two possible fits for the Reds as rule 5 draft picks.

He also points out that with a 26 man roster, it might be easier to carry a rule 5 guy.

Reds are at 39 players, so they have room to add one.

https://redsminorleagues.com/2019/12...-rule-5-draft/
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (12-09-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Rule 5 draft on Thurs

V

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

BillDoran (12-10-2019),klw (12-09-2019),M2 (12-09-2019),REDREAD (12-09-2019),UKFlounder (12-09-2019)

Oh I made it "Rule 5".. for Doug, since it's his article, I thought I would be nice to him
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

7. Likes:

WrongVerb (12-09-2019)

Nice article.

Let’s get Gose and let him and Lorenzen just keep swapping back and forth, pitcher to outfield, depending on the handedness of the batter - ha!

Yeah I know the new rule coming (3 batter minimum) - but is there any loophole for a guy like Lorenzen who would (could) go out to the outfield after a single batter?

9. Likes:

REDREAD (12-09-2019)

Reds at risk for losing any talent?

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    Reds at risk for losing any talent?
    Define talent.

They'll probably have a couple of guys drafted.

No clue as to whether they'll be kept.

Doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Define talent.

They'll probably have a couple of guys drafted.

No clue as to whether they'll be kept.

Doubtful.
    tal·ent
    /ˈtalənt/
    noun
    natural aptitude or skill.
    "he possesses more talent than any other player"
    Just kidding.

Will the Reds lose any players fans at RedsZone will over analyze as being an organizational downfall?

13. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (12-09-2019),REDREAD (12-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    Will the Reds lose any players fans at RedsZone will over analyze as being an organizational downfall?
    Absolutely.

15. Likes:

757690 (12-09-2019),Chip R (12-10-2019),REDREAD (12-09-2019),reds77 (12-09-2019),redsman2007 (12-09-2019),UKFlounder (12-09-2019),WildcatFan (12-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Nice article.

Let’s get Gose and let him and Lorenzen just keep swapping back and forth, pitcher to outfield, depending on the handedness of the batter - ha!

Yeah I know the new rule coming (3 batter minimum) - but is there any loophole for a guy like Lorenzen who would (could) go out to the outfield after a single batter?
    that is interesting....will the rule be only when bringing a new player into the game or any change of pitcher? I assume the latter, but not sure. As long as they did not need warm up pitches, and just quickly switched, it would seem to be ok within the spirit of the rule which is to reduce slowing the pace of games.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I like Doug thinking outside the box with the Gose pick, but he’s risky and not just because of he’s pushing 30. Discipline and coach ability issues in both Detroit and Toronto http://bluejayhunter.com/2016/07/the...gose-saga.html

- - - Updated - - -

I like Doug thinking outside the box with the Gose pick, but he’s risky and not just because of he’s pushing 30. Discipline and coach ability issues in both Detroit and Toronto http://bluejayhunter.com/2016/07/the...gose-saga.html

- - - Updated - - -

Stick to your guns.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (12-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

A graph so nice he posted it thrice.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if you liked Doug thinking...

Given this organization's utter vacuum at CF, except for switching a 2bman there unwisely, IMO, I think it's a serious mistake not to protect Freidl, who has a good chance, I think, of being taken. They're gambling that his only getting to AA and being injured last year will make teams shy away, and they may be right--I hope they are. But I think it's an unwarranted risk given Friedl's ability to play CF.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (12-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Given this organization's utter vacuum at CF, except for switching a 2bman there unwisely, IMO, I think it's a serious mistake not to protect Freidl, who has a good chance, I think, of being taken. They're gambling that his only getting to AA and being injured last year will make teams shy away, and they may be right--I hope they are. But I think it's an unwarranted risk given Friedl's ability to play CF.
    Eh, Freidl's star has diminished considerably for me enough so that I won't bemoan losing him. My guess is no one takes him and if they do they send him back. Can't see him sticking on even an expanded 26 man roster. He isn't ready for ML ball yet.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

24. Likes:

REDREAD (12-10-2019)

I thought they'd expose Friedl because he's been surpassed by Fairchild. However, I hope for our sake (not his) that he is not picked.

What's the story on Lorenzen? Can he qualify to be carried as position player in 2020?
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Turn Off Ads?