Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I would trade Senzel before Aquino

Re: I would trade Senzel before Aquino

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    It amazes me just how quick some fans are to give up on talented young players.
    Some talented, young players should be traded because they might be worth more in trade than they'll ever be on the field. However, I don't think Senzel falls into that category. My assumption is the Reds believe his bat will materialize. I figure the only way the Reds deal him is if they're seriously worried about his long-term health or if they feel like he's a massive pain in the backside.

I assume if you gave 30 teams of choice of Senzel or Aquino, all 30 would pick Senzel.
    Last edited by M2; 12-09-2019 at 05:09 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (12-10-2019),OGB (12-09-2019),Old school 1983 (12-09-2019),Revering4Blue (12-09-2019),Ron Madden (12-09-2019),The Operator (12-09-2019),westofyou (12-09-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    I would 100% trade Aquino for anything close to an ace pitcher regardless of how long he's controlled. There isn't much to suggest his hot start will be sustainable.
    Aquino hit .330 with 25 Ks through his first 107 PAs.
    He hit .194 with 35 Ks through his next 118 PAs.
    He finished the year with a 7% walk rate.

I hope he realizes his full potential and is a quality player for the Reds, but those results scream "mirage" to me.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Aquino has lot higher ceiling but lot lower floor. I want to give him a chance to achieve that ceiling in Cincy. If he's a bust, so be it.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-09-2019)

I'd trade em both.
    Go Gators!

I think you have to ride it out with both of them. Other teams see the same things we do on these guys. Senzel has yet to stay healthy and hit below league average in a small-ish sample size and Aquino came out of relative obscurity and mashed for a month before falling off a cliff.

There is no way you get value anywhere near their ceiling in a trade right now

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-09-2019)

It's a bad idea because you'd be trading low on Senzel right now.

The Reds need to develop pitching and trade for bats. Not the other way around. Why? Because in GASP, batting stats get inflated and pitching stats get deflated. So they would be able to add value, simply by properly developing in-house pitching, and trading for hitting that, pretty much no matter who they are, will put up batting stats better than the back of their baseball card, just by playing at GASP for 81 games a year.

Of course, the Reds have been doing the complete opposite for the most part.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

"I would trade Senzel before Aquino".

As would I.

It's a bit like comparing celery with oranges. Yes, both grow from plants with green parts, but the similarity pretty much ends there. While I'm still on the fence with Senzel at center and his injury history isn't all that and a bag of chips he's still quite solid as a player. Aquino isn't a guy with a long history of success with hitting, but he's a very good defender with a great arm and also a solid player even if he isn't going to hit .455 year in, year out.
    I see Senzel as a guy who will have a few really good seasons and a few not so spiffy seasons. Aquino is going to knock in a ton of HR's, but he too is going to have his ups and downs. If you're going to trade either one it's going to have to come down to whether they're too expensive or if either stops producing. Both are solid prospects with plenty of upside and both are potential multi million dollar contracts just waiting to break a season..

Turn Off Ads?