0 0%
  • RHSP Antonio Santillan

42 75.00%
  • CF Mike Siani

8 14.29%
  • Other - Specify in Comments

3 5.36%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #7 Prospect???

2019-2020: Who is the Reds #7 Prospect???

CF'er Stuart Fairchild has taken the #6 slot.

Please, discuss why you are voting for who you are voting for.....this is a slow time of the year so it's more than welcomed.

^If you are voting other, please make sure to tell me who the other vote is for in the comment section.

***THIS IS A 72 HOUR POLL***

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #7 Prospect???

I voted for Santillan, although I hesitated slightly due to his injury. Still has had success in AA (though I exist him to start the year there), and has the stuff to succeed in the majors. That said, I could see slotting Richardson or Siani there.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

For reals, I need Jose Acosta on the list (voted other).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    For reals, I need Jose Acosta on the list (voted other).
    Are your next 20+ votes going to be for him? #7...really?

The list should expand beyond 6 names now. Kuhnel, Johnson, Hendrix, Naughton, Acosta, Davis for instance I have rated ahead of Hannah and in the convo with Callihan, Richardson and Hinds.

I voted Santillan, imo, easily best of this list.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Joel Kuhnel. 2.18 ERA Between AA and AAA as closer converting 14/18 saves. 4.66 ERA in majors. Was burned by Alaniz allowing all 3 inherited runners to score in outing on Aug 24th. Did not allow any runs (earned or unearned) the rest of season. (Eight appearances, 8 innings). Throws upper 90s. Will contribute this year.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 12-10-2019 at 04:07 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Are your next 20+ votes going to be for him? #7...really?
    Yep. There's a pile of blah on the current list. I'll take my chances on catching a rising star.

Joel Kuhnel for me also.

I think it's time to get Friedl onto the list anyway. But maybe should wait till after Thurs.

Since I am assuming Santillan will run away with this vote, I will throw a vote toward Tyler Callihan.

Highest ceiling bat maybe in the entire system, and a good enough defensive profile (though I believe he'll end up a solid first baseman, eventually replacing Votto) that we won't have to hit like crazy to bring value.

Is there any other reason for the Jose Acosta love aside from a great DSL/AZL stat line? I can't find much info on him anywhere else. Not to rain on anyone's parade but scouting the stat line at the complex levels is usually a bad idea. Let's look at Acosta for example:

DSL: .403/.503/.611 w .491 BABIP
    AZL: .370/.396/.478 w .459 BABIP

Notice the bolded BABIP. Acosta stole 26 bases in in 27 chances in 234 PA's. He is fast. Speed kills at these levels against weak defenses. He only hit 3 home runs as a 19 year old in the complex leagues which tells me he doesn't pack a ton of power. Most of his XBH were likely speed related. The BB/K Rate isn't elite. In fact, his numbers, outside of the BABIP aren't much different than 2018 when he wasn't impressive. My guess is he ends up like many other complex league superstars with a lot of speed and not a lot of power who flame out in A ball.

Hopefully I am wrong, but I would ease up on the love, keep him toward the back end of the top 20 when you get to the wild card range, but be really interested in following him in 2020.

Absolutely no way he is getting into my top 10 and getting put above guys like Santillan, Kuhnel, Freidl, Siani, etc.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

13. Likes:

BillDoran (12-10-2019),OGB (12-10-2019),SoTxRedsFan (12-12-2019)

I voted Santillan 'cause he was closer to the major leagues but I also considered Siani. I wouldn't be surprised if Siani turned out to be the better player.

I could have looked at other players but that'd involve looking further in the alphabet and that's too much trouble. I just wanted to stay on the S's for now...

I think Callihan has biggest upside. He gets my vote.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

Mitri (12-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Since I am assuming Santillan will run away with this vote, I will throw a vote toward Tyler Callihan.

Highest ceiling bat maybe in the entire system, and a good enough defensive profile (though I believe he'll end up a solid first baseman, eventually replacing Votto) that we won't have to hit like crazy to bring value.
    Seems way too early to be viewing him as a 1B.

I gave him some serious consideration. The .298 OB is what kept me away. Hopefully he sorts that out this season and puts up some sick numbers, because his power (both into the gaps and over the wall) seems legit. He's another one I'd like to see them push into Dayton. Callihan was an over-aged HS player (technically should have been class of 2018). He turns 20 next season. So it's not that aggressive a jump to make.

18. Likes:

Mitri (12-10-2019)

Siani. The ceiling is very high.

Turn Off Ads?