Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Didi to Philly

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Didi to Philly

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    1 year, 14 million
    If they didn’t outbid this, I kind of hope they lose 90 games again.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (12-10-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I can see Didi's logic. He signs a 1 year "prove it deal". Comes July and he's killing it, he's already on the team with "stupid money" they can just extend him a mega-offer. Reds won't.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

5. Likes:

Crumbley (12-11-2019)

I think Didi was an opportunity for the Reds but not the only opportunity. Let's see if they do something with a trade. I could certainly see them moving Winker or Aquino for a SS if they sign Ozuna. I wouldn't write Galvis in pen next to starting SS yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    If they didn’t outbid this, I kind of hope they lose 90 games again.
    I kinda hope whoever plays SS for the Reds in 2020 has a better year than Didi.

8. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (12-11-2019),DocRed (12-10-2019),NC Reds (12-10-2019),Old school 1983 (12-10-2019),terminator (12-10-2019),The Operator (12-11-2019),Tuff Nut (12-10-2019),wlf WV (12-11-2019)

I am very disappointed they didn’t sign Didi, but anyone complaining that the Reds don’t have an adequate backup at SS needs to cool it. Plenty of time left in the offseason to address the SS depth chart behind (or in front of) Galvis.

10. Likes:

DocRed (12-10-2019),Old school 1983 (12-10-2019),Shoeless Jeff (12-12-2019)

Now i hope they focus on Story or Siemen as a plan B

So frustrated. I thought Grandal and Gregorious were the pieces we needed this offseason. We've missed out on both to sign Mike Moustakas, which doesn't make our team much better than last year. Ugh.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (12-10-2019),Redsfan6272 (12-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Uhhh, there is SOMETHING to suggest they didn’t- he signed with another team for that amount!

While true that guys don’t always sign with the highest bidder, they usually do on a one year contract (location and city preferences aren’t as important if not in it for the long haul, and Cincy is definitely a hitters’ ballpark/good place to rebuild value on a one year deal). Regardless, there is definitely SOMETHING to suggest the Reds didn’t beat that offer.
    Yea, I am pretty confident that the Reds did not want to spend big on Didi.
    They supposedly had the cash to make Wheeler a competitive offer.
    My guess is that Didi really was not a high prioirity, the Reds were just bottom feeding to try to get a bargain.
    Now, if the rest of the winter moves are good, I can forgive the Reds for not signing Didi, but some people here are apologizing too much for the front office. If Didi was a priority, the Reds could have given him a 2 year deal or more money for a single year (whatever Didi wanted)..

1 year at 14 million was certainly beatable.. And let's not pretend Didi was willing to take 2-4 million less to play in Philly instead of Cincy. Philly was a 500 team last year. Sure, that's better than the Reds but not exactly a "winner".

All we can do is hope the Reds have a better plan that does not have Didi in it.. let's see. I am skeptical, but let's see.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

15. Likes:

Benihana (12-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    It seems like that’s going to be Freddy Galvis at this rate. Didi has 5 win upside, and Galvis has the upside to maybe scratch out 2 wins if he can hit enough homers to stretch his OPS above 700.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Would have loved to have him but Didi's numbers were never really that great (one year over .800 OPS) and last year they were bad. What has always improved his value was his defense which I think is likey to continue to downtrend even if his offensive numbers rebound.

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-10-2019),Shoeless Jeff (12-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Would have loved to have him but Didi's numbers were never really that great (one year over .800 OPS) and last year they were bad. What has always improved his value was his defense which I think is likey to continue to downtrend even if his offensive numbers rebound.
    His defense is going to be at least good IMO, if not great. He also has the upside to OPS well above 800. That’s something you overpay for if you have the kind of hole at SS that the Reds do.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (12-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    Or maybe the Reds have other plans/ targets. I don't get the Reds suck or aren't trying because they don't sign or trade for every player. They have a plan and maybe Didi was not part of it or they felt he was not worth that. None of us have any clue what is actually happening behind the scenes.
    That’s a completely reasonable alternative as well

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWild03 View Post
    So frustrated. I thought Grandal and Gregorious were the pieces we needed this offseason. We've missed out on both to sign Mike Moustakas, which doesn't make our team much better than last year. Ugh.
    How on Earth does Moose not make the team much better than last year? How did the team miss out on both to sign Moose? Judging from all of the the reports connecting the Reds to FA I doubt Moose has stopped them from signing anyone else that they are realistically pursuing

23. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-10-2019)

From CTrent:

“From what I’ve been told, #Reds were in it with Gregorius to the end, but the comfort level with Joe Girardi helped make the decision“
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

25. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (12-11-2019),Coopdaddy67 (12-10-2019),JCM11 (12-10-2019),Old school 1983 (12-10-2019),Ron Madden (12-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    From CTrent:

“From what I’ve been told, #Reds were in it with Gregorius to the end, but the comfort level with Joe Girardi helped make the decision“
    Well crap. You mean the Reds weren’t dummies who didn’t offer enough cash or signed Moose instead. No way!

27. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-10-2019)

Turn Off Ads?