Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Didi to Philly

Re: Didi to Philly

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    Really hard to believe the Reds wouldn’t beat the pants off that offer. Very disappointing.
    19 million for 2 SS?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWild03 View Post
    It has everything to do with them not signing Didi. The Reds jumped on the opportunity to make their "sexy" (slash not really all that sexy) record breaking FA signing and had to do so quickly, which hamstrung them when it came time to the winter meetings when teams are always going to outbid the small market teams like Cincinnati. Didi may have wanted to reunite with Girardi but without the Moustakas signing, we had $14M more to convince him otherwise with.
    So Moose got Didi’s money? I really doubt it.

I really wanted to sign Didi as well but I'll hold off on criticism until I see how much more money they spend and how they spend it. IMO there is likely to be quite a bit more action be it trade or free agent signings before the season starts. The Reds obviously didnt think Didi would be 10 million dollars better then freddy Galvis this upcoming year otherwise he likely would be a red. He sure as heck is no slam dunk like some here are saying regardless.

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    From CTrent:

“From what I’ve been told, #Reds were in it with Gregorius to the end, but the comfort level with Joe Girardi helped make the decision“
    This strikes me as a face saving answer. If Reds really wanted the player on a one-year deal they could have beaten that bid.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-10-2019 at 07:33 PM.

7. Likes:

GAC (12-11-2019),REDREAD (12-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    19 million for 2 SS?
    Galvis could have easily been dumped for salary relief (a C prospect) if the Reds really wanted to.
    Galvis is a good defender at SS and was in the middle of the pack offensively last year.
    For a contending team like the Reds, they should look to upgrade.
    But for a team that's treading water, Galvis is a very solid pickup at a very reasonable price.
    Reds could trade him in less than a week if they were motivated to.
    Galvis' salary is not an issue.
    The truth is that the Reds were not motivated to sign Didi, for whatever reason.
    That really can not be denied.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    So Moose got Didi’s money? I really doubt it.
    This makes no sense. My entire point is that the Reds most prominent need was at SS, CF and C. I understand that as a small market team, we have limited resources but thus far we've signed none of those positions despite ownership claiming they were going to make a splash. Moustakas to me, is not a splash. We're the only team to offer him a multi year contract in the past several years. Again, I'm happy to have him, but he can't be our biggest signing of the offseason.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (12-10-2019)

You can't force any free agent to sign with you.
    If Didi really wanted to stay on the east coast and play for Giradi again you can't blame the Reds. If C. Trent says the Reds were in it to the end I believe it.

12. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (12-10-2019),Old school 1983 (12-10-2019)

This makes no sense. My entire point is that the Reds most prominent need was at SS, CF and C. I understand that as a small market team, we have limited resources but thus far we've signed none of those positions despite ownership claiming they were going to make a splash. Moustakas to me, is not a splash. We're the only team to offer him a multi year contract in the past several years. Again, I'm happy to have him, but he can't be our biggest signing of the offseason.
    No. You said that the Reds spent money to fill those positions on Moose because they wanted to make a splash. Given the fact that they were in on Wheeler to up to 20M a year shows that’s not the case. They have the money. The player had to sign with the Reds too. Didi May very well bounce back but he’s coming off an injury and a so so season. Maybe the Reds didn’t think the figure was worth beating. Or maybe they beat it and Didi wanted to play for Giradri more. Not having Didi stinks, but I’m willing to bet the Rrds have more moves up their sleeves and all isn’t lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    No. You said that the Reds spent money to fill those positions on Moose because they wanted to make a splash. Given the fact that they were in on Wheeler to up to 20M a year shows that’s not the case. They have the money. The player had to sign with the Reds too. Didi May very well bounce back but he’s coming off an injury and a so so season. Maybe the Reds didn’t think the figure was worth beating. Or maybe they beat it and Didi wanted to play for Giradri more. Not having Didi stinks, but I’m willing to bet the Rrds have more moves up their sleeves and all isn’t lost.
    I hope you're right. Thanks for the respectful banter!

MLB Radio said that the Yankees like Galvis as a potential replacement for Didi and to be an infield guy behind Gleybar. No idea what that would leave the Reds as a Plan B if they were to swap him to the Yankees. Galvis for Happ, a prospect and cash?

Edit: it was Joel Sherman who was saying it. Here is an article with it in:
    https://nypost.com/2019/12/10/the-ya...f-to-phillies/

But once they know if Cole is coming or not, the Yanks should have a clearer view of how much they can budget for a shortstop, with the preference being defensive acumen and — if possible — a lefty bat. The Yanks have always liked Cincinnati’s Freddy Galvis, due $5.5 million in 2020. The possibility of landing him would have been far greater if Gregorius had gone to the Reds, who originally signed him in 2007 and were interested in a reunion.
    Last edited by klw; 12-10-2019 at 07:46 PM.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (12-10-2019)

Moustakas is signed for 648 regular season games. Didi decided only to sign for 162 games. And that assumes Reds are contending. If not, Didi is trade bait in July.

Once Didi decided on a one-year deal, he ceased to be a big splash.

18. Likes:

BuckWild03 (12-10-2019)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I love Redszone.

On one hand you've got posters saying that Trent's quote is the Reds trying to save face. And on the other side you've got posters saying that Trent's quote is of course what Didi's side is going to say about wanting to play for his old manager.

Basically, no matter what, the Reds are bumbling idiots who screwed the pooch.

20. Likes:

DocRed (12-10-2019),GAC (12-11-2019),kpresidente (12-11-2019),MikeS21 (12-10-2019),Old school 1983 (12-10-2019),REDREAD (12-10-2019),redsman2007 (12-10-2019),Ron Madden (12-10-2019),The Operator (12-11-2019),WrongVerb (12-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    MLB Radio said that the Yankees like Galvis as a potential replacement for Didi and to be an infield guy behind Gleybar. No idea what that would leave the Reds as a Plan B if they were to swap him to the Yankees. Galvis for Happ, a prospect and cash?
    Now that Reds didn’t get Didi they turn to trading Galvis?

Makes no sense.

22. Likes:

BuckWild03 (12-10-2019),REDREAD (12-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Now that Reds didn’t get Didi they turn to trading Galvis?

Makes no sense.
    Yes, let's have zero SS!

24. Likes:

REDREAD (12-10-2019)

I hope you're right. Thanks for the respectful banter!
    Sure thing. Thanks! You too.

26. Likes:

BuckWild03 (12-10-2019)

Turn Off Ads?