Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 184

Thread: Didi to Philly

  1. #121
    Member Wheelhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,134

    Re: Didi to Philly

    They didn't pay through the nose in money or time. It's seems clear to me: Didi would rather play for Girardi than Bell.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

  2. Likes:

    Redsfan6272 (12-11-2019)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #122
    Member Tuff Nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NW, Tn.
    Posts
    876

    Re: Didi to Philly

    Maybe he likes cheesesteaks better than chili.

  5. Likes:

    cumberlandreds (12-11-2019),M2 (12-11-2019),westofyou (12-11-2019)

  6. #123
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    26,077

    Re: Didi to Philly

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Didi's one year deal will have little effect on free agent prices next season. Playing in Philly will have a much greater effect on his next contract, than this one year deal. I mean, Moustakas took a $7M one year deal, and that was not his floor for this off-season's deal.

    As for the 40%, let's put it this way...

    I will give you the choice, either work with me for $140 for the day, or work with Mandy Moore for a day for $100.
    I have no chance with Mandy Moore, so I'll work for you for the extra cash.
    I can concede your point that maybe this year's deal is not relevant to what he gets next year.
    But for a one year deal (what Didi wants), it is just logical that Didi would go to the highest bidder, and he would not want to drag out negotiations and risk end up having to accept a lowball offer later in the offseason.
    I think it's pretty safe to assume the Reds did not want to go over 14 million.
    A much better assumption than saying Didi loved Philly so much that he took less to play there.
    It's ok if the Reds were overbid, as long as the Reds have a better plan.
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  7. #124
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    26,077

    Re: Didi to Philly

    Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    People ignoring facts purely to bash the Reds when it seems they couldn’t really have done more. Strange.
    What facts are we ignoring?
    Seems like the Reds apologists are the ones coming up with improbably theories to assume the Reds might have been the highest bidders.
    When Wheeler signed, it was leaked that the White Sox offered more. No such info about Didi Of course, i can not prove it, but I have a feeling if the Reds were the highest bidders, they'd leak it, as they want to be seen as big spenders this winter to sell tickets.

    So the apologists want us to think that it's possible the Reds outbid the Phillies, but did not leak it.
    Seems like less than a 1% chance that is what actually happened as of this morning.

    Didi was not a "must get". There's other ways to improve the team, but if the Reds passed on Didi, they better deliver results in another way, or they are going to look foolish.
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  8. #125
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    20,581

    Re: Didi to Philly

    Seeing as we don't know any details yet on this, I don't think people who say "we don't know that the Reds were outbid" are necessarily Reds apologists. It's just stating a fact.

  9. Likes:

    CaiGuy (12-11-2019),DocRed (12-11-2019),Revering4Blue (12-11-2019)

  10. #126
    Member Burt Gummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    54

    Re: Didi to Philly

    According to a guy from NBC the Reds weren't even in on Didi as it came to the Phillies Giants and Brewers more lies from the Reds front office

  11. Likes:

    REDREAD (12-11-2019)

  12. #127
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    49,283

    Re: Didi to Philly

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    They didn't pay through the nose in money or time. It's seems clear to me: Didi would rather play for Girardi than Bell.
    Maybe he prefers the east coast to the Midwest? Or he hates LaRosa pizza? Or his best friend is Zach Ertz
    Could be eh?

  13. Likes:

    reds77 (12-11-2019)

  14. #128
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,802

    Re: Didi to Philly

    Quote Originally Posted by Burt Gummer View Post
    According to a guy from NBC the Reds weren't even in on Didi as it came to the Phillies Giants and Brewers more lies from the Reds front office
    That is NOT what he said.

    And if you'd like to actually point to the Reds front office actually saying a word about this, I'd love to read it.

  15. Likes:

    JCM11 (12-11-2019)

  16. #129
    Member Burt Gummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    54

    Re: Didi to Philly

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That is NOT what he said.

    And if you'd like to actually point to the Reds front office actually saying a word about this, I'd love to read it.
    https://twitter.com/JSalisburyNBCS/s...79607812411399

  17. #130
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    27,585

    Re: Didi to Philly

    Maybe once Didi said one-year deal it was between Giants, Brewers and Phils.

    It does sound like Reds had serious interest on a multi-year deal. Thus, all the reports of Reds' interest. Once that was rejected, not sure that it would be that attractive for them.

    Reds did lose 87 games last year, I can't see them in a 2020 or bust mode.

  18. #131
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,802

    Re: Didi to Philly

    So where, Burt, does that say that the Reds weren't actually in on Gregorius? What it says is that Gregorius chose between three teams that he listed. It does not, in any way at all, say that the Reds weren't in on him.

    And just like nearly all of these kinds of rumors, different reporters are hearing different things. That's just how it works.

    You want the Reds to be idiots, so you are reading into anything that you can to show that they are idiots.

  19. Likes:

    757690 (12-11-2019),Griffey012 (12-11-2019),ochoa30 (12-11-2019),Old school 1983 (12-11-2019)

  20. #132
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Didi to Philly

    If the Phillies, Brewers and Giants were the finalists in the Didi sweepstakes, then it's pretty obvious the Reds fell by the wayside at some earlier point.

    FWIW, I never expected they'd sign Didi, and I'm glad they have that money to spend elsewhere.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  21. Likes:

    REDREAD (12-11-2019),Revering4Blue (12-11-2019)

  22. #133
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    26,077

    Re: Didi to Philly

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Seeing as we don't know any details yet on this, I don't think people who say "we don't know that the Reds were outbid" are necessarily Reds apologists. It's just stating a fact.
    But that's like saying that Castillo might be an alien instead of a human.. It's a fact that we don't absolutely know if that's true or not. However, chances are that Castillo is actually a human.
    At some point, it seems reasonable to make logical conclusions.

    Hypothetically, the Reds could have offered Didi a one year contract for 5 million and still "have been in it until the end", because Didi's agent could have told them "We'll think about it". That's why the comment from the beat writer about them "being in it until the end" really doesn't tell us anything.

    I don't see what's wrong with saying the Reds thought 1 year at 14 million was not an offer they were comfortable with topping. Heck, not signing Didi might end up to be a great non-move in hindsight.
    In other words, it's not necessarily a criticism (at least by me)
    I don't see why we have to rationalize that the Reds might have had a higher offer but for some reason Didi took less to go to Philly.. that seems like a huge stretch.
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  23. #134
    Pitter Patter TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Letterkenny
    Posts
    19,918

    Re: Didi to Philly

    I said the day they picked up Galvis' option, that he's the starter at SS. I stand by that. I never truly believed DiDi was a real option, though I laid it out as possible. a didi/galvis 2b/ss combo would have been fantastic defensively.

    No for what is. I don't think Galvis is a step down defensively from Gregorious. I think it's a wash in fact. They are 3 months apart in age. They both started hitting for power in their age 26 season. Didi has the OBP edge, but lets not pretend a career .313 OBP is anything to get excited about.

    Someone has already made a comparison of the two in that the Reds may have already had what Didi is bringing to the table in Galvis. I'll double down on that. Galvis hit 23 HR's last year. It's not out of the question to expect him to reach or even top that in 2020. I'm also willing to bet he gets offered an extension if JIG struggles this year. The opposite could be true too, that he gets dealt if Garcia explodes.

    My concern is Galvis and the now added Moose do nothing to move the OBP needle on this team. But, the team still has resources to get additional players. Personally, I hope they really are in on Bumgarner.
    Use a Cocktail Stick!

  24. Likes:

    REDREAD (12-11-2019)

  25. #135
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,086

    Re: Didi to Philly

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    What facts are we ignoring?
    Seems like the Reds apologists are the ones coming up with improbably theories to assume the Reds might have been the highest bidders.
    When Wheeler signed, it was leaked that the White Sox offered more. No such info about Didi Of course, i can not prove it, but I have a feeling if the Reds were the highest bidders, they'd leak it, as they want to be seen as big spenders this winter to sell tickets.

    So the apologists want us to think that it's possible the Reds outbid the Phillies, but did not leak it.
    Seems like less than a 1% chance that is what actually happened as of this morning.

    Didi was not a "must get". There's other ways to improve the team, but if the Reds passed on Didi, they better deliver results in another way, or they are going to look foolish.
    Why must people who see logical reasons as to why the guy didn’t sign in Cincinnati be apologists? The Reds are trying extremely hard to sign FA. You win some. You lose some. Sometimes you do all you can but still lose.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator