Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dayton Flyers Basketball 2019-2020

Dayton Flyers Basketball 2019-2020

Time to fire up a Dayton Flyers thread for the season. Currently sitting at No. 14 in the AP poll.

This team is far and away the best Dayton squad I've seen in my ~20 years of fandom. There is a ton of talent, led by a likely first-round pick. They've got a savvy veteran PG back. They have two excellent glue-guy senior leaders that know their role. They got a huge influx in talent with the four transfers coming online. If they lack anything, it's size, but hopefully Tshimanga rounds in to shape before they confront any really big front lines (would helped against Kansas).

Not only do they a lot of talent, but they are well-organized and disciplined. Grant has a system, the staff gameplans well, and the team always looks stable and in control.

As a Dayton fan, I keep waiting for things to implode, but at this point they have been exceptionally impressive. If they don't win the conference regular season and tournament championships, I would mark the season a bit of a disappointment.

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-12-2019),jimbo (12-11-2019),RedTeamGo! (12-11-2019),Revering4Blue (12-11-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Re: Dayton Flyers Basketball 2019-2020

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    There is a ton of talent, led by a likely first-round pick.
    Bit of an understatement. I've seen Toppin projected as high as #5.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Time to fire up a Dayton Flyers thread for the season. Currently sitting at No. 14 in the AP poll.

This team is far and away the best Dayton squad I've seen in my ~20 years of fandom. There is a ton of talent, led by a likely first-round pick. They've got a savvy veteran PG back. They have two excellent glue-guy senior leaders that know their role. They got a huge influx in talent with the four transfers coming online. If they lack anything, it's size, but hopefully Tshimanga rounds in to shape before they confront any really big front lines (would helped against Kansas).

Not only do they a lot of talent, but they are well-organized and disciplined. Grant has a system, the staff gameplans well, and the team always looks stable and in control.

As a Dayton fan, I keep waiting for things to implode, but at this point they have been exceptionally impressive. If they don't win the conference regular season and tournament championships, I would mark the season a bit of a disappointment.
    Not a Dayton fan, but after watching them dismantle VT early on, I will certainly be a fan-boy this season. They are fun to watch.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

My cousin(Butler alum) would like to see the Flyers join the Big East.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    My cousin(Butler alum) would like to see the Flyers join the Big East.
    Dayton - the fans, the athletics department and the administration - would very much like to join the Big East. It doesn't sound like it's going to happen though. The rumor that I've heard is Xavier is/was opposed, and I'm not sure the Dayton TV market is especially attractive to a conference.

I've been at a number of universities, and I'm not convinced being the big fish in the small pond isn't the better model for most programs. Watching Butler jump from Horizon to A10 to Big East kinda underscores my concern. I'm a Bulldogs fan, but year-in-year-out, they're a middling team in the Big East. It's a constant struggle to keep up with some blue chip programs. Jumping in the deep end seems to have served Xavier well though; so who knows?

I'm sure some see this as small thinking and would prefer to see where they stack up with the best, but I think staying mid-major is more consistently exciting and can really energize a campus.

8. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-13-2019),Revering4Blue (12-12-2019)

Important game tonight against a sneaky good Drake team. Mid-majors get so few shots at big time programs, making their non-conference games against potential conference champs that much important. Drake was the MVC regular season champ last year, and Darian DeVries was conference coach of the year in his first year on the job. DeVries is an excellent coach (and I think an improvement over the guy he replace Niko Medved). The Bulldogs won't have the horses Dayton does, but they will be sound and can no doubt knock off Dayton if they don't show up (despite Vegas's 16-point spread).

For those wondering where Chase Johnson has been:

Chase Johnson is doing well as he recovers from post-concussive stress syndrome. He is continuing to make great strides and is looking forward to joining the team when he is medically cleared.
    https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...2G6DEc4JtrTnO/

It doesn't sound like he had a third concussion, but instead is still dealing with recurring issues from past ones. Hope he makes a full recovery.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post

It doesn't sound like he had a third concussion, but instead is still dealing with recurring issues from past ones. Hope he makes a full recovery.
    I feel sorry for the lad.

I had PCS from an early 1917 concussion. Light sensitivites, insomnia and when sleep came, something like a fridge cycling would wake me. Vivid, repetitive things going on as you sleep. Mine resolved in about 9 months, with minor effects lingering for several months thereafter.

Strangely, it wiped out my tinnatus for several months.

Wish him the best.

Dominated a reasonably good La Salle team. Really like their new coach, Ashley Howard; imagine he'll have the program in stronger shape in the near future.

They stay in Philly to play the Martelli-less (and hapless) St. Joe's Hawks, followed by home games against UMass and VCU.

The Flyers look like the class of the conference right now. Currently, No. 8 in KenPom and 9 in NCAA NET.

I do worry about their depth, though, especially if Chase Johnson is out for the year. Jordy, Cohill, and Matos haven't done much of anything. Reminds me of the 2014-15 season, after we dismissed our two bigs. Pretty much running with 6 guys again.

I do worry about their depth, though, especially if Chase Johnson is out for the year. Jordy, Cohill, and Matos haven't done much of anything. Reminds me of the 2014-15 season, after we dismissed our two bigs. Pretty much running with 6 guys again.
    I have to strongly disagree. I think their depth is one of their strengths, even with Chase out. That 14-15 team literally had 6 scholarship players. This team is nowhere close to that team. Those players you mentioned may not be at the level of the starting five, but they are good enough to contribute quality minutes and play good defense. And keep in mind Jordy missed all of preseason and the first several weeks of the season. He is not in mid season form yet.

They started pulling away from St. Joseph's in the second half when obi was in foul trouble. IMO, that says a lot about their depth.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I have to strongly disagree. I think their depth is one of their strengths, even with Chase out. That 14-15 team literally had 6 scholarship players. This team is nowhere close to that team. Those players you mentioned may not be at the level of the starting five, but they are good enough to contribute quality minutes and play good defense. And keep in mind Jordy missed all of preseason and the first several weeks of the season. He is not in mid season form yet.

They started pulling away from St. Joseph's in the second half when obi was in foul trouble. IMO, that says a lot about their depth.
    Damn, I wish Obi was in an IU uniform...that kid is a player. Good luck the rest of the way out Flyer fans.

17. Likes:

jimbo (01-07-2020)

Agree about depth. We've got six players that would start for any other team in the conference. We've got a generational (mid-major) player in Obi, two all conference type players in Crutcher and Watson, two tremendous veterans in Mikesell and Landers and a really nice piece in Chatman.

That's a lot of talent to start with for a college team. Of course, there's going to be some drop-off. Very few teams can run out eight guys with no discernible drop-off. The key is Cohill, Matos and Tshimanga can all compete and fill in as needed. There's still reason to believe Cohill has some unrealized potential left as well.

I'm not holding out too much hope for Jordy. Glad he's part of the program, but that type of player is increasingly becoming a dinosaur in today's game. He'll be valuable against teams with talented bigs, and I imagine he'll pop in a couple games regardless of competition, but I don't think he's got the skills (or body control) to use his size to consistent advantage.

That said, Chase Johnson returning would be big for the program; more so in the future than this year, but he's, to my mind ,the sixth or seventh best player right now. There will be a big void to fill with Obi being gone, and I think he's got a lot of talent. Hope he's able get healthy in short order.

By depth, I'm primarily talking about the bench pieces. Jordy/Cohill/Matos played a combined 17 minutes in that game (compared to Watsons' 27) and scored 0 points. Cohill/Matos have PER's of 6.5 and 9.8. Jordy is a 23 year old Junior - I'm not sure how much more to expect from him. Defensively, I'm worried about the 5 spot and other talented bigs like Kansas' Azubuike destroying us in the paint.

Just would like to see more development as the season progresses, especially from Cohill, who was actually a highly regarded scorer coming to UD (2182 pts/31st all time Ohio).

Turn Off Ads?