Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dayton Flyers Basketball 2019-2020

Re: Dayton Flyers Basketball 2019-2020

Sounds like Chase Johnson is gone. Posted on IG that he's medically withdrawing from UD.

The Jablo story

Not a huge blow for the present season, but certainly a bummer next year and onward.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Sounds like Chase Johnson is gone. Posted on IG that he's medically withdrawing from UD.

The Jablo story

Not a huge blow for the present season, but certainly a bummer next year and onward.
    Still rolling; 16-2 after an exciting win at a tough St. Louis squad. Ranked 13 in the AP poll, 6 in KenPom and 5 in NET.

While the outcomes have been positive, there are some obvious holes developing on the squad. It's been discussed here and elsewhere, but the depth is becoming more and more of an issue. Chatman has looked really poor recently, turnover prone and emotional. Cohill still looks overmatched, and Jordy's Jordy. He's an odd fit both for the style this team plays and the evolution of college basketball.

If you're going to beat Dayton, it can be done with size and toughness. Dayton very much wants to play a finesse game. Toppin wants no part of banging in the post on defense (though he can do it when pressed). Jordy's good for 10, 15 minutes tops before he gets into foul trouble or bogs down the offense. Mikesell has the height but a slight frame. Landers is thick as can be but no taller than 6'5".

It's a big part of what makes the team fun to watch, but the flowing offense is geared toward guys that play what we thought of as "Euro ball" in the past. The nightmare matchup would be a West Virginia or old Mick Cronnin squad, teams that will punch you in the mouth over and over again.

That said, St. Louis is very much cut from the same cloth as a Huggins team, and Dayton pulled out a road win in front of a raucous crowd. The Billikens threw in a lot of junk, and while the officiating was just plain awful, I think the away team got the short end of the stick on Friday. Even with a lot of things going their way, St. Louis couldn't combat what's a very good Dayton team. The Flyers have too many scorers to ever be truly shut down, the system ensures people are getting good looks and Grant knows how to exploit mismatches and ride hot hands.

Fun season so far. It'd be a disappointment if the Flyers didn't win both the regular season and the conference tournaments crowns.

4. Likes:

Hypnotoad (01-18-2020),RedTeamGo! (01-18-2020)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I see NBC has the Flyers as a 3 seed right now.

High Henry Finkel must have a year of eligibility left. Freshmen didn't play back in the day.

7. Likes:

BillDoran (01-18-2020)

CBS has the Flyers as a 2 seed.

9. Likes:

BillDoran (01-21-2020),jimbo (01-21-2020)

Dayton is going to be tested over the next few weeks...@ Richmond, @ Duquesne, St. Louis, Rhode Island, @ VCU, Duquesne, @ Rhode Island.....

11. Likes:

BillDoran (01-23-2020)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

For those of you who weren't already aware, Obi Toppin's younger brother, Jacob, is a Freshman at Rhode Island. He averages close to 20 minutes a game, too.
    Last edited by Ohayou; 01-23-2020 at 09:49 AM.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

13. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    For those of you who weren't already aware, Obi Toppin's younger brother is a Freshman at Rhode Island. He averages close to 20 minutes a game, too.
    TY, I did not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Dayton is going to be tested over the next few weeks...@ Richmond, @ Duquesne, St. Louis, Rhode Island, @ VCU, Duquesne, @ Rhode Island.....
    The people who run the maths say the upcoming two-game combo is the toughest of the remaining schedule.

Mixed into the games you mention is a home tilt against Fordham (a part of a three-game home stretch) and a game at UMass. So, it's not necessarily a murderer's row awaiting them.

That said, the A10 while not filled with world-beaters is a respectable conference. If the Flyers are going to win the league, they'll have to do so against some good competition. I'd tend to think they'll have better fortune against teams that don't muck it up, so easier times against Richmond and Rhode Island than a St. Louis or VCU. If you let the offense get into a rhythm, the Flyers will blow you out of the gym.

I don't think Dayton is as good as the current rankings suggest. I think they'll lay an egg or two along the way. But I do think they're the class of the league. When things are going right, they're a tier above the rest of the conference. He's hoping they can continue to play up to their abilities and take care of business.

^^^yeah, nearly every team, even the best ones will have some egg laying nights in conference play. I listed the teams that I was aware of that could beat Dayton if Dayton takes a night off or decides to lay an egg. At their best, Dayton beats all of those teams but the %'s suggest a good team will have a hard time staying locked in for all of those games. Then there are teams like Rhode Island that can look very impressive and unimpressive in the same week....hard to know which shows up each night.

17. Likes:

BillDoran (01-23-2020),Revering4Blue (01-23-2020)

^^^yeah, nearly every team, even the best ones will have some egg laying nights in conference play. I listed the teams that I was aware of that could beat Dayton if Dayton takes a night off or decides to lay an egg. At their best, Dayton beats all of those teams but the %'s suggest a good team will have a hard time staying locked in for all of those games. Then there are teams like Rhode Island that can look very impressive and unimpressive in the same week....hard to know which shows up each night.
    And of course, you have teams like West Virginia that lay an egg in Manhattan.

The Flyers are for real.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    And of course, you have teams like West Virginia that lay an egg in Manhattan.

The Flyers are for real.
    seriously....taking a shot at WVU? What happened at Kansas State was my point....and history suggests it will not be the last game they lose that they are favored in this season. We all look at the schedule and feel like we know the games that are "locks".....and then we almost always blow one or three of those "locks"....just the nature of college basketball. Heck it is the nature of competitive sports in general. I have watched a handful of Dayton game this year...I like their team, but I would still have to bet they trip up once or twice over the remainder of the season. If they do not....great, but they would be defying the odds.

Since the West Coast Conference went to a 16-game conference schedule starting with the 2011-2012 season, Gonzaga's average conference record has been 14.5-1.5.

If a better Gonzaga program against a weaker conference loses one or two games in conference per year, I think it's safe to assume there are at least a couple losses coming Dayton's way.

seriously....taking a shot at WVU? What happened at Kansas State was my point....and history suggests it will not be the last game they lose that they are favored in this season. We all look at the schedule and feel like we know the games that are "locks".....and then we almost always blow one or three of those "locks"....just the nature of college basketball. Heck it is the nature of competitive sports in general. I have watched a handful of Dayton game this year...I like their team, but I would still have to bet they trip up once or twice over the remainder of the season. If they do not....great, but they would be defying the odds.
    Oh no, I don't want nothing to do with WV...bad match-up for my boys.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Since the West Coast Conference went to a 16-game conference schedule starting with the 2011-2012 season, Gonzaga's average conference record has been 14.5-1.5.

If a better Gonzaga program against a weaker conference loses one or two games in conference per year, I think it's safe to assume there are at least a couple losses coming Dayton's way.
    Conference play is just that. Tough games.

Turn Off Ads?