12 23.53%
  • CF Mike Siani

18 35.29%
  • CF Jose Siri

0 0%
  • Other - Specify in Comments

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #8 Prospect???

Re: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #8 Prospect???

Richardson for me as well. Really strong peripherals for a 19 year old in full season ball. He got hit, but the low HR/High K numbers suggested BABIP bad luck more than getting rocked or hit frequently. Seems the K's would have been lower if the contact was so easy to make and the HRs higher if he gave up an unusual amount of hard contact.

I actually considered him ahead of India and Santillan, but the crowd here convinced me otherwise, but I'm still thinking he may end up better than either of those guys.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Aren’t power and contact skills tools?

I’ve never fully understood the “5 tool” thing. Does it just mean he’s athletic? Seems like BS to me.
    It's the old JimBo five tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    "5 tools" = Looks good in a uniform

Siani's scouting report from 2080 should give all fanboys pause.

Fangraphs likes him much, much more, and, if that's your only source of information (or the only one you trust), I can see the ranking here.
    "Minimal projection left." Ouch.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    What pause? It's saying he's a gold glove level plus defender, plus base runner, and average with the bat and power. We all know this. I still like his overall potential. If he makes it to the show he could end up being an Ender Inciarte type player.
    Yep you can be a below average hitter and play a really good centerfield and still be a 5+ WAR player. Kiermeier had a 7.5 bWAR year while having an OPS+ of 99

Aren’t power and contact skills tools?

I’ve never fully understood the “5 tool” thing. Does it just mean he’s athletic? Seems like BS to me.
    He's got enough tools already to be a very good player potentially even if he turns out to be an average or below average bat, see above post. If he was a true 5 tool player he wouldn't have lasted to #8....

Went with Richardson but thought about several others. Nice job expanding the list Kinsmn...just enough guys without making a long laundry list.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Didn't realize Jose Deleon still qualified. I might have picked him higher. At least ahead of Santillan and India.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I went with Richardson as well. The peripherals and the pedigree suggest there's a real future there. It seems he needs a good deal of refinement, but for a high school pitcher that's perfectly acceptable.

I get the appeal of Siani; he's got the same pedigree and a carrying tool. But he's going to have to hit at some point to ever be more than a fringe-y big leaguer. The high school scouting report suggested the bat was the issue, and through a year-and-a-half in the minors he's done nothing to disprove it. He's been really young in both stops so far (> two years younger than league average), but the batting average and the ISO are worrisome.

I'm thrilled Siani's in the system, but he'll be a middling prospect for me until he puts a full season together with the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    He's got enough tools already to be a very good player potentially even if he turns out to be an average or below average bat, see above post. If he was a true 5 tool player he wouldn't have lasted to #8....
    How can someone be a “very good player” with a “below average bat”?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Doing this part of the list mostly makes me wish we'd outrighted Bailey last year and kept our prospects.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (12-15-2019)

Joel Kuhnel. 2.18 ERA Between AA and AAA as closer converting 14/18 saves. 4.66 ERA in majors. Was burned by Alaniz allowing all 3 inherited runners to score in outing on Aug 24th. Did not allow any runs (earned or unearned) the rest of season. (Eight appearances, 8 innings). Throws upper 90s. Will contribute this year.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

13. Likes:

marcshoe (12-14-2019)

If Mike Siani was a carbon copy of Billy Hamilton, isn’t that a huge win for a Hs guy and #7-10 team prospect? What am I missing? Would mean he’s a top 50ish prospect across baseball and has tools that can impact a game and help you win meaningful games late in the year (defense and speed). Confused by the negativity.

15. Likes:

DocRed (12-15-2019),REDREAD (12-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    If Mike Siani was a carbon copy of Billy Hamilton, isn’t that a huge win for a Hs guy and #7-10 team prospect? What am I missing? Would mean he’s a top 50ish prospect across baseball and has tools that can impact a game and help you win meaningful games late in the year (defense and speed). Confused by the negativity.
    Had that same thought. I don't think comparisons with Billy Hamilton are especially worthwhile. He was elite-elite speed, the type that can warp projections. Hamilton did put up some good offensive numbers in the minors, but the general thought was that he could learn to bunt and slap the ball a bit, he'd be a plus-player given his defensive and impact on the base paths.

By all accounts, Siani is a very good defender, but I don't think he has game-changing element in the way that Billy did.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Had that same thought. I don't think comparisons with Billy Hamilton are especially worthwhile. He was elite-elite speed, the type that can warp projections. Hamilton did put up some good offensive numbers in the minors, but the general thought was that he could learn to bunt and slap the ball a bit, he'd be a plus-player given his defensive and impact on the base paths.

By all accounts, Siani is a very good defender, but I don't think he has game-changing element in the way that Billy did.
    The question is value. Guys who can run and field are all over the minor leagues. I don't see a lot of value unless the bat is there.

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-16-2019),RedlegJake (12-14-2019)

How can someone be a “very good player” with a “below average bat”?
    LOL you don't think a 5 or 6 WAR player is a very good player?

No love for mid-to-high 90s chuckers Kuhnel, Hendrix and Richardson?
    I voted for Richardson here, because he is a starter, is healthy, throws strikes and has shown high nineties velocity in short stints.
    But Hendrix, with two plus pitches, might have the best stuff in the system outside of Greene and Lodolo.

Turn Off Ads?