Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2019 Bowl Season: Buckeyes Against the World

College Football 2019 Bowl Season: Buckeyes Against the World

Old thread is at 1,000 posts. Time for a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Houston saved them from that very scenario. It's no secret that the relationship between Holgs and AD Lyons was never the greatest. Holgs arguably only got the contract he had because of 2016 going 10-3 and he was coming up on his final year. Holgs knew the writing was on the wall and he had probably achieved all he could at WVU and knew if he had a 5-7 win year (which is what most were predicting, even before he left) he'd been canned so he got out of the way. He was a strange cat and was never fully embraced by a number of armchair wanna bes idiots because "We FiReD a GuY wHo WoN 10 GaMes In BiG eAsT" or "He IsN't OnE oF uS".
    I always thought Holgorsen was out of place at WVU.

As a UK fan who lives in WV, there’s a similarity between the WVU football program and UK basketball in that the coach is essentially the most popular person in the state and it’s not a job for introverts. You can pretty much plan on people stopping you in public for autographs and spending time doing promotions. I don’t think Holgorsen really embraced that side from everything I’ve seen about him. He’s basically Billy Gillespie but with a lot better success.

It worked out for WVU. Neal Brown is a good coach and an even better person but hopefully the fans will be patient. As for Holgorsen, he’s in a place now where Westbrook, Harden, JJ Watt, DeShaun Watson, and the Astros have the spotlight. The tanking is a bold strategy but let’s see if it pays off.
    Last edited by WVRed; 12-13-2019 at 09:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-13-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: College Football 2019 Bowl Season: Buckeyes Against the World

We have "fans" melting down already about Brown, I thought we had a pretty good year considering all the defections, injuries. We were average QB from possibly beating Texas and we had a punchers chance against Baylor. If you can flip either of those games and get to bowl eligibility, that would have been a GREAT season and given the new staff an extra month with what's left to get ready for next year. I wish we could have seen more of Doege, the offense looked a lot more potent with him under center than it ever did with Kendall.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

We have "fans" melting down already about Brown, I thought we had a pretty good year considering all the defections, injuries. We were average QB from possibly beating Texas and we had a punchers chance against Baylor. If you can flip either of those games and get to bowl eligibility, that would have been a GREAT season and given the new staff an extra month with what's left to get ready for next year. I wish we could have seen more of Doege, the offense looked a lot more potent with him under center than it ever did with Kendall.
    But because of how Brown took advantage of the new rules, you now have Doege for two more seasons.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    But because of how Brown took advantage of the new rules, you now have Doege for two more seasons.
    That's why I said I wish. I was actually surprised he played this year, I still don't fully understand the new transfer rules and what/why he was given the waiver to be immediately eligible.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Old thread is at 1,000 posts. Time for a new one.

As a UK fan who lives in WV, there’s a similarity between the WVU football program and UK basketball in that the coach is essentially the most popular person in the state and it’s not a job for introverts. You can pretty much plan on people stopping you in public for autographs and spending time doing promotions. I don’t think Holgorsen really embraced that side from everything I’ve seen about him. He’s basically Billy Gillespie but with a lot better success.

It worked out for WVU. Neal Brown is a good coach and an even better person but hopefully the fans will be patient. As for Holgorsen, he’s in a place now where Westbrook, Harden, JJ Watt, DeShaun Watson, and the Astros have the spotlight. The tanking is a bold strategy but let’s see if it pays off.
    How is it Buckeyes against the world?

I love it when someone on an internet forum thinks so highly of their thoughts that they feel in position to claim another users opinion is nonsense. I assume you are an Ohio State fan? You may feel different if Fields decided not to play in a bowl game, and you got the Chris Chugunov bowl experience. It is not fun and does not make the program look great.
    Quoting this from the previous thread.

I can flex my internet muscles even more if you want!

Yes I am an OSU fan, and yes, I believe if OSU is not in the playoffs next season, Fields probably will not play. Its the nature of the sport, its the nature of the position, and I think everyone has gotten around to the fact some players have too much to lose by playing in a meaningless bowl game. And yes, if you take out the CFP, all the bowl games are meaningless.

Coaches can get a nice bonus for winning a bowl game and the players get a pretty cool bowl week experience, but the game IMO is a glorified exhibition. The games no longer hold the mystique that they did even a decade ago.

The most important football thing to come out of the bowl game, is bowl prep. Its getting young players a month of extra practice. Getting the next wave of guys experience. Three years ago Okuda was picked on, got his feet wet, and started to grow. To circle back to your Fields question, if OSU isn't in the playoffs its somewhat of a disappointment. I would be bummed not seeing him play, but somewhat excited to see what the next QB has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Quoting this from the previous thread.

I can flex my internet muscles even more if you want!

Yes I am an OSU fan, and yes, I believe if OSU is not in the playoffs next season, Fields probably will not play. Its the nature of the sport, its the nature of the position, and I think everyone has gotten around to the fact some players have too much to lose by playing in a meaningless bowl game. And yes, if you take out the CFP, all the bowl games are meaningless.

Coaches can get a nice bonus for winning a bowl game and the players get a pretty cool bowl week experience, but the game IMO is a glorified exhibition. The games no longer hold the mystique that they did even a decade ago.

The most important football thing to come out of the bowl game, is bowl prep. Its getting young players a month of extra practice. Getting the next wave of guys experience. Three years ago Okuda was picked on, got his feet wet, and started to grow. To circle back to your Fields question, if OSU isn't in the playoffs its somewhat of a disappointment. I would be bummed not seeing him play, but somewhat excited to see what the next QB has to offer.
    I agree with a lot of that but I disagree that the Bowls are meaningless. I think you're not having enough empathy for the little guys in college football. Understand, not everyone is Ohio State. In fact very few are. So for the vast majority of colleges, a national championship is not possible nor is it even a goal. The meaning of the season doesn't end once they're out of the CFP hunt. I agree that the extra month of practice is probably the biggest benefit but the games do have some meaning for recruiting and bragging rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with a lot of that but I disagree that the Bowls are meaningless. I think you're not having enough empathy for the little guys in college football. Understand, not everyone is Ohio State. In fact very few are. So for the vast majority of colleges, a national championship is not possible nor is it even a goal. The meaning of the season doesn't end once they're out of the CFP hunt. I agree that the extra month of practice is probably the biggest benefit but the games do have some meaning for recruiting and bragging rights.
    I mean I get the allure of making a bowl, but it seems like the bowl week and making the bowl far exceeds the actual game. Does a team like UC really want to go to Birmingham in December to play a bowl game? Its not like they are going to Florida or CA, they are going to Alabama.

I mean I get the goal of going to a bowl but I think they have really been devalued over the past decade.

I mean I get the allure of making a bowl, but it seems like the bowl week and making the bowl far exceeds the actual game. Does a team like UC really want to go to Birmingham in December to play a bowl game? Its not like they are going to Florida or CA, they are going to Alabama.

I mean I get the goal of going to a bowl but I think they have really been devalued over the past decade.
    UC hasn't been "bigtime" long enough to forget the yrs when they didn't make a Bowl. Sure they're disappointed that they missed out on the Cotton Bowl but they'd much rather go to Birmingham than stay home and clean out their lockers. That's not to say that there isn't some devaluing going on. I'm sure the Rose Bowl will still sell out but it does lose some luster when the Big Ten champ isn't there

The key for most is the extra weeks of practice.

William Arthur Ward

As others have pointed out a bowl game is a boon to a team because of the extra practice time. It also has monetary value to both the team and conference and provides exposure for national recruiting. Not to mention that the fact that players are being drafted in the first place helps recruiting. Finally, for teams that have starters sitting out, it gives their future starters some valuable playing time.

I don't think the players owe anything to the university or even the fans, both parties have already received plenty of benefit from the athlete. They may feel obligation to their teammates, but I guarantee the majority of them completely understand and support the decision to sit.

I'm sure Cincinnati would rather be playing in a more glamorous bowl game, but I guarantee that the coaching staff and university are glad for the opportunity none the less.

That's why I said I wish. I was actually surprised he played this year, I still don't fully understand the new transfer rules and what/why he was given the waiver to be immediately eligible.
    nobody does because from the outside, it appears arbitrary and random....but we do not really know the claims being made on the waivers. I honestly feel if you push hard for it, you will get it....case in point the one attorney that Fields and others used to file their waiver has 100% approval. The NCAA knows he will be a problem if he gets rejected and it is not worth the cost.

In regards to Brown, I do not get much negativity from my circle of WVU fans. Most of them are satisfied with what they have seen, but are reserving some judgement like about his play calling until he gets the right pieces and depth to run his offense. Vic Koenning has almost obtained Defensive Deity status with many fans I know.

I do not think Dana ever saw WVU as the final stop, and never really embraced the culture. I always felt Dana was a OC masquerading as a head coach. He loves running an offense, does not really pay attention to defense, and does not like the gladhanding with boosters, fans, etc. I do not think he ever recovered from that time he said something like "that is how they do it here" or something like that where "he" clearly did not view himself as part of "they". Btw, I get your point about the most popular guy in the state....but nobody is or will be more beloved in the state than Huggy Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I do not think Dana ever saw WVU as the final stop, and never really embraced the culture. I always felt Dana was a OC masquerading as a head coach. He loves running an offense, does not really pay attention to defense, and does not like the gladhanding with boosters, fans, etc. I do not think he ever recovered from that time he said something like "that is how they do it here" or something like that where "he" clearly did not view himself as part of "they". Btw, I get your point about the most popular guy in the state....but nobody is or will be more beloved in the state than Huggy Bear.
    Agree on Huggins, but football will always trump basketball in WV, regardless of Huggins.

Turn Off Ads?