Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2019 Bowl Season: Buckeyes Against the World

Re: College Football 2019 Bowl Season: Buckeyes Against the World

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    It blows my mind that I've watched this OSU team destroy the Big 10 all season, all victories by double digits, completely annihilating many opponents, Top 5 Offense AND Defense, 2 Heisman finalists...and yet its an UNDERDOG in the CFP. Wow. I'm not questioning WHY OSU is the underdog (Clemson is loaded) but its amazing to have a season like this and NOT be the overwhelming standout and even in a discussion as one of the best teams ever.
    I absolutely love it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    It blows my mind that I've watched this OSU team destroy the Big 10 all season, all victories by double digits, completely annihilating many opponents, Top 5 Offense AND Defense, 2 Heisman finalists...and yet its an UNDERDOG in the CFP. Wow. I'm not questioning WHY OSU is the underdog (Clemson is loaded) but its amazing to have a season like this and NOT be the overwhelming standout and even in a discussion as one of the best teams ever.
    First of all, it's tough to call them an underdog. It's pretty much a pick 'em game but I can see why Vegas is going slightly with Clemson. It's due to history. Clemson has historically (under Debo) been very successful in the post season and OSU is under a new coach with which there's no track record. Neither team was challenged in their conference this yr

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I absolutely love it.
    That's a good attitude. I think this helps OSU

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It is no surprise to me that it created an uproar. Just sayin'...
    I mean when non-OSU fans stir the pot to the point where it's said "Classic OSU fans" and "why do they feel sorry for themselves"...when the OSU fans really hadn't chimed in at all (other than a benign answer to a question "everyone is picking them to lose") it's no surprise to me either that there was some pushback. I don't know how else to explain it, but it makes sense to me.

6. Likes:

WVRed (12-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I mean when non-OSU fans stir the pot to the point where it's said "Classic OSU fans" and "why do they feel sorry for themselves"...when the OSU fans really hadn't chimed in at all (other than a benign answer to a question "everyone is picking them to lose") it's no surprise to me either that there was some pushback. I don't know how else to explain it, but it makes sense to me.
    And this is why it created an uproar.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    It makes sense to me that you'll get those responses not to the thread title but to posts like this:

It's that this is such a talented team, anything short of a NC will deem this season a failure and will be a stain on the coaching staff and players. I don't lose any sleep over such accusations but I've seem the seeds of this being planted.
    Nobody's calling OSU a failure. You're seeing ghosts

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It makes sense to me that you'll get those responses not to the thread title but to posts like this:

Nobody's calling OSU a failure. You're seeing ghosts
    But,but...my post was after those 2 remarks I cited. Now I did post that on another thread over a month ago. So you could say you weren’t responding to the thread title but my post from a month ago in other thread...

It’s very clear. The “Classic OSU fan” and “why do they feel sorry for themselves” was in response to this thread title and its aftermath.

As to my remark as I said I won’t lose a bit of sleep if that happens but I can see the remarks coming. That’s all.

Now I can’t speak for everyone but I think there were a few on here who wrote their response to the title thinking it was an OSU fan who started the thread. It’s ok to just say “oops.”
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 12-17-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Feel free to change the title. If I knew it was going to cause this much of an uproar, I’d have opted for something else.

I apologize to any Ohio State fan who took it as trolling.
    No problem. I truly just took at as a catchy thread title, not trolling. (Which was why I put unconfirmed in my post)

I suspect after reading the above anyone who thought it was trolling will change their mind.

11. Likes:

I agree with most of this, but just a point to quibble, it’s not the same Clemson team. They don’t have Ferrell, Wilkins and Lawrence who all went in the first round and were an absolutely terrifying defensive line. I still think Clemson is elite and they replaced those guys with good guys, but it’s not the same. I think it’s shifted from a massive advantage for Clemson the last couple seasons to an advantage for OSU. But like I said in the OSU thread, it’s a little hard to tell due to Clemsons lack of competition and will be interesting to watch early.
    I know it's not the same Clemson team. But Clemson's run D is top 10, right there with us. I hope that doesn't prove to be a problem for the Bucks. It worked in '16 (beat us with your passing game)... but Fields in not J.T. either. OSU has to run the ball to win.

But I also think QB Lawrence has a better receiving corp that what Watson had with Tee Higgins, Amari Rodgers and Justyn Ross (combined -134 passes, 2,204 yards, 25 TDs touchdowns). IMO, Ohio State's secondary is going to get their biggest test because, IMO, they didn't face any opposition that had Clemson's QB/passing attack. That's why they are going to need to control that line of scrimmage and pressure/disrupt Lawrence. We're going to find out how good Chase Young is too, because this is where you have to shine.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

13. Likes:

Redsfaithful (12-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I know it's not the same Clemson team. But Clemson's run D is top 10, right there with us. I hope that doesn't prove to be a problem for the Bucks. It worked in '16 (beat us with your passing game)... but Fields in not J.T. either. OSU has to run the ball to win.

But I also think QB Lawrence has a better receiving corp that what Watson had with Tee Higgins, Amari Rodgers and Justyn Ross (combined -134 passes, 2,204 yards, 25 TDs touchdowns). IMO, Ohio State's secondary is going to get their biggest test because, IMO, they didn't face any opposition that had Clemson's QB/passing attack. That's why they are going to need to control that line of scrimmage and pressure/disrupt Lawrence. We're going to find out how good Chase Young is too, because this is where you have to shine.
    Yeah I just don’t know who Clemson played that would have challenged their run defense and they were also ahead a lot so other teams weren’t running. I think Dobbins and Fields will give them problems.

Defensively I’m right there with you. If Young and the line get pressure and if Okudah can lock down one of those guys, I think this score might get pretty sideways. If they can’t, we have a ball game.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-18-2019)

Yeah I just don’t know who Clemson played that would have challenged their run defense and they were also ahead a lot so other teams weren’t running. I think Dobbins and Fields will give them problems.

Defensively I’m right there with you. If Young and the line get pressure and if Okudah can lock down one of those guys, I think this score might get pretty sideways. If they can’t, we have a ball game.
    Clemson's defensive numbers should be great this season based upon their schedule. They have been far better than any team they faced. Its kinds of my curiosity going into this game, how good are they.

I have said this in another thread, their D is good, but they don't have that NFL ready DLine this season. That makes a massive difference and part of the reason I think they are getting slightly overvalued in this game.

Defensively for OSU I wonder about a few things, will this be a Barron Browning game. He is far more athletic and faster than Tuf. He plays in space better, but Tuf is good at clogging up the lanes. Also, OSU tends to play 3 corners, one safety, three LB's. A good OC with talent will get Pete Warner exposed deep. Will we see more of Josh Proctor this game?

If Chase can get constant pressure, I do think OSU will win this game.

17. Likes:

"So Fla Red"

Neither defense has faced an elite QB this year that can pass and run the ball as needed. Four of the select few are in the CFP. That's the biggest unknown for both teams.

LSU D is a bit more tested facing Tua but they've given up a lot of points against Texas, Miss and Bama

It was a complete mismatch in 2016 with the inaccurate and weak armed JT Barrett and a suspect OSU Defense vs. Deshaun Watson

The CFP will be all about the quarterbacks and which team(s) can get the key stops at the right time

19. Likes:

I absolutely love it.
    I would too if I was an Ohio State fan....made the coaches job a lot easier making sure his team is focused and ready to play...just post those Vegas odds around the locker room so they see them every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

22. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-18-2019),Revering4Blue (12-18-2019),Roy Tucker (12-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    LSU D is a bit more tested facing Tua but they've given up a lot of points against Texas, Miss and Bama
    I know this is not your point, but I have seen a lot of message board stuff recently pointing out the Ole Miss game, and while 38 points is too much, Ole Miss actually had a pretty good offense this season. Also, that Texas team they played was not the same team as the year progressed. Texas looked like Big 12 favorites early, then they just fell apart as soon as things did not go well.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I know this is not your point, but I have seen a lot of message board stuff recently pointing out the Ole Miss game, and while 38 points is too much, Ole Miss actually had a pretty good offense this season. Also, that Texas team they played was not the same team as the year progressed. Texas looked like Big 12 favorites early, then they just fell apart as soon as things did not go well.
    The only reason Texas ever looked good was because of preseason hype. Terrible team.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?