Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2019 Bowl Season: Buckeyes Against the World

Re: College Football 2019 Bowl Season: Buckeyes Against the World

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Yeah I just don’t know who Clemson played that would have challenged their run defense and they were also ahead a lot so other teams weren’t running. I think Dobbins and Fields will give them problems.

Defensively I’m right there with you. If Young and the line get pressure and if Okudah can lock down one of those guys, I think this score might get pretty sideways. If they can’t, we have a ball game.
    And that is a very valid point concerning their regular season schedule, conference strength, level of competition. You want my honest opinion? .... while that's all we have to go on, and when it comes to SoS, I don't pay too much attention to it for a good part of the season because it's too small of a window. Teams are rising and falling all over the place. You have to let the process unfold to get a more accurate (complete) assessment. And even then it's still guess work because what was the level of the talent they built that resume (stats) on? In this particular instance - I'd definitely give the edge to Ohio State .... the Bucks SoS was 8th, with 3 top 10 wins, and 4 vs top 30. Clemson SoS was 61st with 2 top 30 teams.

But it's not Clemson's fault that their conference was weaker this year, and thus, so was Clemson's schedule. Clemson still did what they had to do. And this team has experience, and won it last year pretty convincingly over Alabama. And their coach is one of the best. Some talk about a bias or "disrespect" towards OSU by the media/pundits. I think that is even more true concerning Clemson this year. And Clemson has a chip on their shoulder, and the motivation is to prove all these naysayers and skeptics wrong. They're not Alabama.

Gonna be a helluva a game IMO. But one stark reality is, when it gets to the CFP .... defenses don't shine (for the most part). Wouldn't be surprised to see 60-70 pts scored total in this one.

And Okudah is one of the best corners in the country - if not the best.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Feel free to change the title. If I knew it was going to cause this much of an uproar, I’d have opted for something else.

I apologize to any Ohio State fan who took it as trolling.
    What amazes me is that you've been on this forum since the beginning, I know you, most know you, and you've always been open about where your loyalties lie when it comes to college sports. And No you're not an OSU fan. I've always known that. Yet so many on here, obviously, didn't know that, and are scratching their heads trying to figure out if you're a troll or not. I find that funny (LOL)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

4. Likes:

dubc47834 (12-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    It blows my mind that I've watched this OSU team destroy the Big 10 all season, all victories by double digits, completely annihilating many opponents, Top 5 Offense AND Defense, 2 Heisman finalists...and yet its an UNDERDOG in the CFP. Wow. I'm not questioning WHY OSU is the underdog (Clemson is loaded) but its amazing to have a season like this and NOT be the overwhelming standout and even in a discussion as one of the best teams ever.
    Because if anyone but LSU wins the championship then ESPN and every other sports outlet will be furious. They've already told us who is, or should, win. It's settled. Think of it like the '16 election (LMAO)

This is the best OSU team I've ever seen. They are better than previous national champs- 2002 when that team barely beat many foes. They are better than 2014 who lost to Virginia Tech at home. And yet here they are as underdogs.

I'm going to the Fiesta Bowl and was there when Clemson won 31-0. I'm certainly expecting a better showing! Clemson is an all-star team playing in a woeful conference. Dabo's biggest challenge all season has been keeping his team motivated. He's been playing the "disrespect" card and they know they are up against a great Ohio State team.

7. Likes:

GAC (12-19-2019),Sea Ray (12-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    And that is a very valid point concerning their regular season schedule, conference strength, level of competition. You want my honest opinion? .... while that's all we have to go on, and when it comes to SoS, I don't pay too much attention to it for a good part of the season because it's too small of a window. Teams are rising and falling all over the place. You have to let the process unfold to get a more accurate (complete) assessment. And even then it's still guess work because what was the level of the talent they built that resume (stats) on? In this particular instance - I'd definitely give the edge to Ohio State .... the Bucks SoS was 8th, with 3 top 10 wins, and 4 vs top 30. Clemson SoS was 61st with 2 top 30 teams.

But it's not Clemson's fault that their conference was weaker this year, and thus, so was Clemson's schedule. Clemson still did what they had to do. And this team has experience, and won it last year pretty convincingly over Alabama. And their coach is one of the best. Some talk about a bias or "disrespect" towards OSU by the media/pundits. I think that is even more true concerning Clemson this year. And Clemson has a chip on their shoulder, and the motivation is to prove all these naysayers and skeptics wrong. They're not Alabama.

Gonna be a helluva a game IMO. But one stark reality is, when it gets to the CFP .... defenses don't shine (for the most part). Wouldn't be surprised to see 60-70 pts scored total in this one.

And Okudah is one of the best corners in the country - if not the best.
    A couple of things popped into my head in dealing with their schedule. One was the Bengals game against the Pats. The Pats played sloppy, they played a poor game, but ended up winning by a lot because the Bengals were that bad. Had they played like that against a playoff team, they lose by multiple scores. The second thing that popped into my mind was when American soccer players go from Europe to the MLS. They just don't need to be as precise, they can get away with being a little sloppy because it isn't punished at that level as much.

Clemson had the luxury of working on things throughout the season. Once TAMU was proven a fraud, there were really no other teams that could even match up with them. They got a scare from UNC, but skated through their entire schedule other than that one day. If they are clicking on all cylinders, it could be one heck of a game.

On OSU there is some curiosity on how well Day and co make adjustments early in the game. Over the season they tended to start a little slow and then really turn it on. They can't afford for the offense to stagnate for the first few drives and fall behind a couple of scores.

9. Likes:

GAC (12-19-2019)

The key here to my eye is the Ohio State offensive line. They've dominated every game I saw this year. They've opened up huge holes for Dobbins and Fields to run through. If they continue to be the dominant force on the field then they'll win the whole thing.If some defense can neutralize them then it becomes a ballgame. I've seen that o-line dominate teams like Mich and PSU. I think those are good teams but if they get exposed in the Bowl season then it's possible that they're weak sisters too. That OSU o-line is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

Clemson had the luxury of working on things throughout the season. Once TAMU was proven a fraud, there were really no other teams that could even match up with them. They got a scare from UNC, but skated through their entire schedule other than that one day. If they are clicking on all cylinders, it could be one heck of a game.
    I think they skated through the first half of their schedule. The second half of the season they were murdering people. You don't get full credit for smoking mediocre to bad competition, but they were doing exactly what an elite team should do to that level of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The only reason Texas ever looked good was because of preseason hype. Terrible team.
    it is hard to argue with them not being good, but go back and watch that LSU game. They looked really solid. Ehlinger was playing above anything we had seen before....his overall production was equal to Burrows that day. We know Texas has LSU/Ohio State level talent...but they appeared to lose their confidence after the LSU game.

nm
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 12-18-2019 at 12:30 PM.

I think the key is the Clemson OL. How good are they? From what I've read, their strength is in the middle of the line but the tackles are unproven. It is going to be imperative that Chase Young have a big game. He didn't get his name called a whole lot against Michigan or Wisconsin, but they probably have superior line play. And by the same token, if Young is getting double-teamed, the other D-lineman have to make plays...

edit: think I got my Clemson OL scouting reports mixed up, their strength is at tackle, not the middle

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I think the key is the Clemson OL. How good are they? From what I've read, their strength is in the middle of the line but the tackles are unproven. It is going to be imperative that Chase Young have a big game. He didn't get his name called a whole lot against Michigan or Wisconsin, but they probably have superior line play. And by the same token, if Young is getting double-teamed, the other D-lineman have to make plays...

edit: think I got my Clemson OL scouting reports mixed up, their strength is at tackle, not the middle
    Right Clemson has a former 5 star from Ohio playing LT and he is their best lineman. He was thought to be more of a guard and isn’t very fast for a tackle, so it’s still a big matchup question. The right side of their line is one of the only spots on the team that doesn’t have projected NFL talent right now.

Lot of smoke out there that up to 10 Oklahoma players are going to be suspended for failed drug tests.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Lot of smoke out there that up to 10 Oklahoma players are going to be suspended for failed drug tests.
    First reaction was that, even though it's not possible, the #5 team should really jump into Oklahoma's spot if this is the case. Then I realized that #5 is Georgia, and we've already seen that rodeo. So, whatever, congrats on your bye LSU if this story is true.

So far, three guys. One starter.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 12-18-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Why are Ohio state fans talking about Ohio state? Is that a serious question?
    OSU fans are always the victims. Not everyone has picked them to lose. Clemson is an unknown because of their crappy schedule. OSU has as good of an argument as anyone to be the #1 team. This is arguably one of their best teams ever and yet, the entire world is against them for unknown reasons.

19. Likes:

dubc47834 (12-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    OSU fans are always the victims. Not everyone has picked them to lose. Clemson is an unknown because of their crappy schedule. OSU has as good of an argument as anyone to be the #1 team. This is arguably one of their best teams ever and yet, the entire world is against them for unknown reasons.
    I found RTG's comments troubling in that I don't think most pundits have even made a prediction yet for this game. I'm sure not all of them will pick Clemson

Turn Off Ads?