Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 Reds Offseason News, Rumors, and Discussions v2.0

2019-2020 Reds Offseason News, Rumors, and Discussions v2.0

Let's try to keep this thread to Reds discussion - push other offseason discussion to the other thread.

Thanks

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-13-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2019-2020 Reds Offseason News, Rumors, and Discussions v2.0

ya'll got any more of those Reds rumors
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-13-2019),The Operator (12-13-2019),wolfboy (12-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I guess I am assuming that the Reds knew that Roark would not accept a bullpen spot after coming off a pretty good (good, not dominating) year.. A SP with a 2.0 WAR (most of that WAR earned as a Red with home games in the GAB) is very respectable. Also assumed the Reds would not bother offering him a pay cut from the 10 million he made last year, but maybe that's giving the Reds too much credit.

But yea, maybe they offered him 2 million a year to be a bullpen guy.. Anything is possible, I suppose.
    "We don't know what was offered"
    I’m not following what you are arguing here? I just stated the Reds would be after Roark as a starter. It would make zero sense to try to sign him as a reliever and I can assure you the Reds didn’t attempt to do that. The Reds could have very well offered him $10-$12M for one year but balked at the guaranteed second year, a reasonable thing for the Reds to balk at this early in the off-season.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

7. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-13-2019)

He still bangs

SS - Seager, Correa, Story (longshot trade category)
    Corner OF - Ozuna, Castellanos, Calhoun, Shogo (FAs/IFA)
    SP - Price, Keuchel, Gio

I think this is about where we are picking up

9. Likes:

REDREAD (12-13-2019)

They call me "chef"

What do y'all think of this one?

Reds fans get: cold reality that the Reds will never be a large market team with access to the resources needed to be a great team
    Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers fans get: unlimited opportunities to see their team compete for a World Series

He still bangs

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post

Reds fans get: cold reality that the Reds will never be a large market team with access to the resources needed to be a great team
    Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers fans get: unlimited opportunities to see their team compete for a World Series
    The first statement is not true. A lot of teams have less or similar resources as Reds do and compete often for a WS.

The second statement is not true. Dodgers haven’t won a WS since 1988. Red Sox won twice in a century. Yankees lately have been competing on the same pace as the Rays, who have a smaller market than Reds do.

Baseball has the best parity of any pro sport. If your team is smart, you have windows of years open for competition. Some teams are smart enough to keep those windows open perpetually with a fraction of the resources as the big teams.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    The first statement is not true. A lot of teams have less or similar resources as Reds do and compete often for a WS.

The second statement is not true. Dodgers haven’t won a WS since 1988. Red Sox won twice in a century. Yankees lately have been competing on the same pace as the Rays, who have a smaller market than Reds do.

Baseball has the best parity of any pro sport. If your team is smart, you have windows of years open for competition. Some teams are smart enough to keep those windows open perpetually with a fraction of the resources as the big teams.
    So it is ineptitude then?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

REDREAD (12-13-2019)

He still bangs

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So it is ineptitude then?
    That’s a big part of it. Which makes Dick’s tenure a new foray into the mix. Can his team do what it takes? There are obviously a lot of variables, which makes forums like this interesting, and makes it worthwhile to still root for them.

If it’s just money, what are we doing here?

On CBS Sports, they were listing the best remaining FA's/trade options and the only players they listed the Reds being in top contention for was Ozuna and Price. They listed 2-5 teams for each player.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (12-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    On CBS Sports, they were listing the best remaining FA's/trade options and the only players they listed the Reds being in top contention for was Ozuna and Price. They listed 2-5 teams for each player.
    an offseason with Ozuna, Price and Moose would be just fine with me.

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-13-2019),Griffey012 (12-13-2019),marcshoe (12-13-2019),ochoa30 (12-13-2019),OhioRiverBarge (12-13-2019),RedsfaninMT (12-15-2019)

He still bangs

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    That would actually be more than I hoped. I was only hoping for two bats, thought realistically Reds might only get one.

If I lived in the area, I think the days Luis or Sonny is pitching would always be worth the cost of admission.
    by Adquino.

Not really, I've been to too many games where the Reds starter pitches great, there's no offense, and if the Reds are leading, the bullpen blows it. Saw 5 games lost by JJ Hoover alone.

If the Reds fix the bullpen and get a real starting CF, I will go see them in person this year.

I can see the argument that in the big picture, maybe OF defense doesn't matter much over the course of the season, but it's really aggravating to see poor OF defense "live", so that's a criteria for me.
    Not going to pay money to see Schelber, Winker or Ervin flop around CF.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    sure....but it did not insinuate we would obtain both of them or even either of them. Honestly, if things continue to trend the way they did this week, being in contention for a player is not a good sign they will be a Red.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post

A “great team?” Most of us just want to see Reds hit .500. If they can’t do that, then the problem is very deep and it’s a waste of time to root for them.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-13-2019 at 05:20 PM.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (12-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    A “great team?” Most of us just want to see Reds hit .500. If they can’t do that, then the problem is very deep and it’s a waste of time to root for them.
    Then don't root for them. You certainly have that right
    Crazy Reds Fan

25. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (12-13-2019),wolfboy (12-13-2019)

Turn Off Ads?