Turn Off Ads?
Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 Reds Offseason News, Rumors, and Discussions v2.0

Re: 2019-2020 Reds Offseason News, Rumors, and Discussions v2.0

Like what the Reds have done so far this offseason, but gotta say I'll be somewhat disappointed if we don't see at least one more move to upgrade the every day lineup and another to bolster the bullpen.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-24-2020 at 10:00 PM.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (01-28-2020),The Operator (01-25-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    High strikeout rate, high walk rate, high homer rate pitcher so far. Low hits/nine innings last season as reliever. Worth a try but fans shouldn’t get all excited just yet.
    Could also see him as the 3rd or 4th piece in a fairly major trade package.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    High strikeout rate, high walk rate, high homer rate pitcher so far. Low hits/nine innings last season as reliever. Worth a try but fans shouldn’t get all excited just yet.
    Why shouldn’t we get excited? He strikes out a ton. Ultimately he may disappoint, but I am excited to watch Sims in the bullpen in 2020.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Like what the Reds have done so far this offseason, but gotta say I'll be somewhat disappointed if we don't see at least one more move to upgrade the every day lineup and another to bolster the bullpen.
    So far, a huge addition at 2B in Moustakas. A solid fourth OF/ leadoff guy. A fifth starter for depth. And bullpen depth.

That'll help, sure.

But it's not exactly what Williams intimated at the beginning of the off-season, is it?

I'd be fine with Castellanos and a plan for how to split playing time vis a vis Senzel.

I don't think they need a big-time arm in the 'pen but more depth would always be welcome. (I think I'd prefer minor league signings or guys with options left, honestly.)

They need a shortstop. Badly.

7. Likes:

corkedbat (01-25-2020),Rdirtypirates (01-25-2020),Sea Ray (01-25-2020)

Many successful bullpens have a guy like Sims who "figures it out" for a yr or two in the pen. I think this is the kind of guy the Reds should stockpile and hope to find lightning in a bottle with one or two of them

9. Likes:

DocRed (01-27-2020),Redeyecat (01-27-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

The hole to fill is at SS. I suspect we might be into the season before it's filled, though.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

11. Likes:

marcshoe (01-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    The hole to fill is at SS.
    That's certainly the biggest, easiest lift to improve the team.

13. Likes:

WrongVerb (01-25-2020)

It just seems so logical to sign Castellanos then trade for a SS.

I’m really hoping that happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

15. Likes:

DocRed (01-27-2020),Redeyecat (01-27-2020),REDREAD (01-28-2020),redsman2007 (01-25-2020),Wonderful Monds (01-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    It just seems so logical to sign Castellanos then trade for a SS.
    The issue, of course, is who to trade for.

Who's willing to give up a SS who's better than Galvis?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Why shouldn’t we get excited? He strikes out a ton. Ultimately he may disappoint, but I am excited to watch Sims in the bullpen in 2020.
    The worst formula for a GABP pitcher is allowing walks and long balls.

Pitchers like JJ Hoover who also “struck out a ton” ultimately couldn’t withstand that.

Sims 1.7 HR rate and 4 BB rate last year as a Red (lifetime 1.5 HR/9 and 4.3 BB/9) both present grounds for caution.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-25-2020 at 02:03 PM.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (01-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

The Orioles. Unfortunately, the Reds weren't there to pick him up.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I think Williams has been looking for his signature trade for a long time. I actually think he's been looking since last offseason. It just hasn't come together. But, I think he's wanted his Lindor or Seager etc...type of move that will put his signature on the team.

I kinda think that's why he didn't do something to make a small upgrade at SS earlier. Now, this could also come back to bite him.
    I will also say this. It's really strange that the Dodgers have done nothing. They went into this offseason saying they needed to change up their roster. I still think something big is out there and being talked about. I could see Cincy being a part of it in some fashion.

21. Likes:

M2 (01-25-2020),Redeyecat (01-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

Who says no to NIck Senzel for Willy Adames? If Franco is really ready this year, they may want to move Adames. Better yet, Hunter Greene for Willy Adames.

A lesser option might be Tyler Mahle for Nick Gordon. The Twins have Polanco now and Lewis on the way. Gordon seems expendable. He's a flea, but he's had pretty good OPS numbers in AA and AAA the last two years and has gotten on base. Might be another Peraza, but I'd deal Mahle for him. Gordon is a lefty so he and Galvis could split time at SS and maybe elevate the overall production there. Twins could probably use Mahle.

Senzel for Carter Kieboom might be another option. The Nats are mixing and matching at 2B and 3B with fading vets. They may want Senzel as the future at one of those spots. Of course they could just play Kieboom there, but it may be a better fit for both teams.

That's all I got. I don't think the Reds can touch one of the sought after big leaguers like Seager, Baez or Lindor.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

23. Likes:

Redeyecat (01-27-2020)

Slobberknocker?

Senzel, India and Kiebert Ruiz to Colorado.

Arenado to LA.

Seager, Joe Kelly and Tony Gonsolin to Cincy.

LA sends Kelly to move some money. Reds get Gonsolin for taking him.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

25. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-25-2020)

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Who says no to NIck Senzel for Willy Adames? If Franco is really ready this year, they may want to move Adames. Better yet, Hunter Greene for Willy Adames.

A lesser option might be Tyler Mahle for Nick Gordon. The Twins have Polanco now and Lewis on the way. Gordon seems expendable. He's a flea, but he's had pretty good OPS numbers in AA and AAA the last two years and has gotten on base. Might be another Peraza, but I'd deal Mahle for him. Gordon is a lefty so he and Galvis could split time at SS and maybe elevate the overall production there. Twins could probably use Mahle.

Senzel for Carter Kieboom might be another option. The Nats are mixing and matching at 2B and 3B with fading vets. They may want Senzel as the future at one of those spots. Of course they could just play Kieboom there, but it may be a better fit for both teams.

That's all I got. I don't think the Reds can touch one of the sought after big leaguers like Seager, Baez or Lindor.
    I really like the idea of the Reds having “Earth-Shattering” Kieboom.

27. Likes:

corkedbat (01-25-2020)

Turn Off Ads?