Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 Reds Offseason News, Rumors, and Discussions v2.0

Haunted by walks

Re: 2019-2020 Reds Offseason News, Rumors, and Discussions v2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    What do y'all think of this one?

Reds fans get: cold reality that the Reds will never be a large market team with access to the resources needed to be a great team
    Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers fans get: unlimited opportunities to see their team compete for a World Series
    Important, if true.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    On CBS Sports, they were listing the best remaining FA's/trade options and the only players they listed the Reds being in top contention for was Ozuna and Price. They listed 2-5 teams for each player.
    No! This does not make the team better! I don't understand the appeal of Ozuna. And unless Boston is paying almost all of Price's contract, stay far away! He wasn't healthy all year and makes $30+M a year. If we get Mookie with him, sure! But I don't think that's going to happen. I don't want us doing other teams a favor just so we can say we got a big name player (whose prime was 5 years ago).

That's a lot of exclamation points. Also, Price is still a very good pitcher when healthy.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

5. Likes:

Redeyecat (12-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    That's a lot of exclamation points. Also, Price is still a very good pitcher when healthy.
    Thank you for recognizing my exclamation point passion. Yes, Price is fine when he's healthy. But I don't trust that he is. Also, he's 34 YEARS OLD AND MAKES $32M / year for the next 3 years. Even if Boston covers half of that (which they won't), it makes way more sense to go out and get a younger and cheaper Keuchel.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (12-15-2019),Ron Madden (12-13-2019)

Can someone explain to me how Ozuna’s career norms (or Castellanos’ career norms) are any better than Puig’s career norms? And Puig is a better defensive player.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

9. Likes:

Benihana (12-13-2019),Redeyecat (12-13-2019),REDREAD (12-15-2019)

If the Reds wanted Puig back we would've probably heard some rumors by now. The fact that he was here for four months and the Reds apparently have no desire to bring him back is pretty telling.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Can someone explain to me how Ozuna’s career norms (or Castellanos’ career norms) are any better than Puig’s career norms? And Puig is a better defensive player.
    I would kind of agree on Ozuna. I think he and Puig would likely provide similar value on the field. Not sure if there is an off the field component that would factor in here.

With Castellanos, he has been trending up for 3 straight years, is entering his prime, and played in a tough home park prior to his trade to the Cubs. I think he definitely provides more offensive punch than Puig/Ozuna. He is not good defensively, but I’m starting to think the Reds care very little about defense at most positions.

Puig's career numbers are skewed by his first 2 years where he was really good. In the last 4 years he has only been an above average hitter in 2 of those years (OPS+ of >100). Castellanos has had 4 straight years of being above average, i.e. OPS+ of 112 or better. Now defense is a different story but this team needs hitters...

Ozuna is similar in that he has been an above average hitter in 4 straight years (OPS+ of 106 or higher with a 149 2 years ago).

Recency bias should not be ignored in these evaluations.

Also keep in mind that OPS+ is not adjusted for position played so you really can't afford to waste a corner outfield spot for someone that is just an "average" hitter.
    Last edited by DocRed; 12-13-2019 at 07:15 PM.

13. Likes:

Griffey012 (12-13-2019),Redeyecat (12-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    If the Reds wanted Puig back we would've probably heard some rumors by now. The fact that he was here for four months and the Reds apparently have no desire to bring him back is pretty telling.
    my guess is the interest may be there if Turner Ward was still with the Reds

15. Likes:

Redeyecat (12-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Not sure that not hearing a rumor is any indication of whether or not the Reds want him back. We didn’t hear any rumors about Moose, but here we are. I’m just surprised that no one in the national media even puts Puig in the same level as Ozuna or Castellanos, when his overall numbers are better than their’s.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

17. Likes:

Benihana (12-13-2019),Redeyecat (12-13-2019)

Not sure that not hearing a rumor is any indication of whether or not the Reds want him back. We didn’t hear any rumors about Moose, but here we are. I’m just surprised that no one in the national media even puts Puig in the same level as Ozuna or Castellanos, when his overall numbers are better than their’s.
    Totally with you. Bringing back Puig would be my #1 initiative at this point, especially if they can’t trade for Marte or a top shelf SS. I’d much prefer Puig at his likely cost than Ozuna or Castellanos. No reason to throw 2x or 3x the money at those guys. I’d bring back Puig right now.
    Go BLUE!!!

19. Likes:

Redeyecat (12-16-2019),REDREAD (12-15-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Nm
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Totally with you. Bringing back Puig would be my #1 initiative at this point, especially if they can’t trade for Marte or a top shelf SS. I’d much prefer Puig at his likely cost than Ozuna or Castellanos. No reason to throw 2x or 3x the money at those guys. I’d bring back Puig right now.
    My number 1 initiative is improving the team. Puig doesn’t really do that. Whatever Aquino/Winker/Ervin outfield combo we would run out is probably just as productive, and cheaper.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

22. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (12-14-2019),RedTeamGo! (12-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Puig was not good last year overall. Frankly, he really hurt the reds the first 1.5 - 2 months of the season and was a big part of the reason they found themselves in a whole they couldn’t climb out of.

For the life of me I don’t understand why reds fans are obsessed with Puig.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

24. Likes:

Griffey012 (12-17-2019),New Fever (12-14-2019),ochoa30 (12-14-2019),RiverRat13 (12-15-2019),Wonderful Monds (12-14-2019)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Puig was not good last year overall. Frankly, he really hurt the reds the first 1.5 - 2 months of the season and was a big part of the reason they found themselves in a whole they couldn’t climb out of.

For the life of me I don’t understand why reds fans are obsessed with Puig.
    I don’t understand the intense “former Reds are actually the most valuable players in the league” thing that’s cropped up with he last year or so. See - Puig, Downs, Gray, Long, Moss

26. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (12-14-2019),Revering4Blue (12-14-2019)

Turn Off Ads?